Rookie Mini-Camp

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 10, 2019.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

On the podcast.......one point that was brought out was that Clowney want to be paid like a top edge "defender," yet by PFF, he is only the 3rd best edge defender in his own division.............another point to ponder was that in 3 years in college and 5 years in the NFL, and he has yet to develop any signature move.........to date, he only possesses one move...........a bull rush..............is it a matter of ability or poor effort/study.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

This is what Aaron Wilson says is the view inside the organization (obrien, Cal) not what Aaron himself believes.

Basically OBrien is still saving his own ass from getting blame for his crappy offense by blaming rick

Texansballer74 likes this.
  3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Do pass rushers really develop their own signature move? I thought that point was goofy.

Clowney has worked hard to get back from injuries, is one of the best if not the best run defenders in the league, and he's a solid pass rusher too. I don't get the work ethic stuff when so many other players on the team are so much worse

CWTexansFan likes this.
  4. CloakNNNdagger

Far from goofy. Him being a solid pass rusher has been questioned by many. How many elite pass rushers do you see only able to survive on a bull rush alone?

5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I agree he's not an elite pass rusher, I was questioning the idea that pash rushers have their own signature move

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Tons of sacks are pure speed.

Clowney is also very good at getting skinny on interior rushes.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  7. CloakNNNdagger

8. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

They didn't criticize JDC for having a bull rush... just mentioned that was the only move he had

CWTexansFan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  10. CloakNNNdagger

Geno Atkins is an interior DT (not an edge rusher), short, stout, levered, fast and strong as a bull.

11. CloakNNNdagger

Exactly.

JB likes this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Right... unless they did something in addition to drafting Howard/Scharping. Which they did. They brought in Kalil.

I disagree. I understand the thinking, but I can't side with short sided thinking. We're not the Eagles, I get that. We don't have Jason Peters, I get that. But if it is prudent for them to draft a guy in the first they have no intention of starting day 1, or even year 1... it is just as prudent for us to do the same.

We need to fix the LT position. There was only one legit no questions asked day starting LT in this draft & his name wasn't Dillard. Yeah, Dillard probably would start day 1 here. Howard may as well, here. But legit ready to start LTs don't usually make it to 23.

If they didn't. I agree.

Now it's too early to say they didn't. I can say I don't agree with what they've done. But you're right. If our blocking is not better, they failed.

Texansphan likes this.
  13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

With all this focus on the OL the defense has been all but forgotten. Texans are in rebuilding mode and next year their going to put focus back on defense. So many question marks, don’t see a sweeping cohesive balance to this roster. Texans scoring will be up but defensively more challenged to stop a grind it out balanced attack that eats clock, not allowing enough time left to comeback for game winning score. Hope I’m wrong. Better team but worse record, tougher schedule, still going nowhere.

Porky likes this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm not acting anything.

He's the best chance they have at getting solid LT play at the beginning of the season.

Porky likes this.
  15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Ok, I doubt that it's the only move he has. He's not an elite pass rusher, merely a very good one combined with elite run defense

It's dumb for the talking heads to conclude he's lazy. There are many players who are just good rather than elite and they aren't lazy

16. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

I didn’t. It was just bored sarcasm.

17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

The defense is almost always good under Crennel, not the annual disaster that the offense, ol and playcalling are.

Gaine and Crennel made some smart, young, healthy defensive signings with upside (aka the opposite of Kalil and Seantrel), but the loss of Matthieu and maybe Clowney will be tough to overcome.

Crennel showed last year in Reid how to draft an instant starter. Are any picks this year starters? TBD.

But the list of defensive pickups is solid: Roby (27 and a former first round pick), Gipson (28, solid if unremarkable safety), Boddy-Calhoun (26, good nickel corner who provides depth at multiple positions), Addae (29, longtime box safety for the chargers cut for cap reasons).

Hard to say if those guys add up to a dominant defense but at least you can put a floor on it. These guys have been solid players for a long time and Roby has pro bowl talent

18. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Highly doubt dude makes the team. He probably won't see any OTAS.

steelbtexan likes this.
  19. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

I agree. But the OP called him a RT.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't know where you get the lazy from... did you listen to the podcast?