Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie mini-camp

Seems to be a whole lotta crampin' going' on.....for such mild weather.......without pads........and without hittin'...........

Is this something that really should be a concern in May? Seems like this would be pretty natural at the start of any season. Especially considering there is a limited amount of guys out there to share reps with.

Last edited:
He's in trouble if he's having to adjust to the speed of rookie camp.

How so? It's a NFL rookie camp, it's still the next level and these players were drafted to the next level, because teams thought they belonged there. It's not like players gain speed after the age of 21 or 22 ??? Rookie camp or not, the guy is still now facing NFL speed. The speed of the next talent level is one of the biggest differences to every single rookie coming in, we hear it every year, so I don't think he's in trouble.. he's just going through the steps of every other rook that came into the league.

Instead of being the big man on campus or the best athlete on the team or the shark in the aquarium of guppies on Saturdays.. They're now all on a level playing field and are just another shark in the shark tank. They no longer can just over power sub par players by athletic ability alone.. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

Seems to be a whole lotta crampin' going' on.....for such mild weather.......without pads........and without hittin'...........
Somebody from New England like maybe the Connecticut Draft picks, but these guys from the Carolinas where they know what heat & humidity are shouldn't be cramping ?

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 2h

Can anybody make a note to see if Steinkuhler sees any action on the O-line?

He played both ways in HS.
When he was recruited by Nebraska, he was actually rated the number 2 OT in his class (nationally) by Rivals.com

I mentioned in another post that he does have 34" arm.

the Texans have already given someone Cody's number #95

Yeah, it was mentioned in the thread that has all the numbers for the rookies.

BJ9MKsJCIAAG-hi.jpg:large

Chris Jones the 6th round pick from Bowling Green

Happens every single year.

They aren't used to the pace of camp. Or how to stay hydrated enough and still perform.

Typically, this gets better. With minicamp, this is sort of like practice to practice for rookies. To get them more used to the pace, the heat, what expectations there are for picking up dropped balls, running out plays etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Brandon Brooks had the biggest problems last year, but part of that was coming into camp not knowing he wasn't going to a road grader team but rather a team that wanted him lighter. I heard he was in great condition.

They aren't used to the pace of camp. Or how to stay hydrated enough and still perform.

Typically, this gets better. With minicamp, this is sort of like practice to practice for rookies. To get them more used to the pace, the heat, what expectations there are for picking up dropped balls, running out plays etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Brandon Brooks had the biggest problems last year, but part of that was coming into camp not knowing he wasn't going to a road grader team but rather a team that wanted him lighter. I heard he was in great condition.

I read that he was ripped (relative to last year) coming into this year's camp. I thought it was you that said so; guess not. You wouldn't have a photo of him would you...?
:D

Edit:
I meant to ask, who is doing KR/PR duties? ...or are they even practicing special teams stuff during rookie camp?

I'm thinking that they worked real hard for the combine and pro days and then took a bit of a breather once drafted . This whole exercise is just a wake up call as to what's expected .

I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I'm not overly concerned. But last year we were having discussions of this same subject mostly regarding hydration questions. Evidently, this year we're seeing problems mostly related to conditioning. I might point out that in past years rookie mini-camp have all begun in mid June where the actual temperatures (not even accounting for heat index) were consistently well into the 90's. This year, mini-camp started the beginning of May where the temps have remained between mid 70's to very low 80's. When it's hot and humid maintaining hydration can definitely become a problem. But conditioning becomes that much more an important factor in overcoming the heat's effect on performance endurance. Again, not overly concerned, but this must go squarely on status of player conditioning. Fortunately it is early and good habits and level of commitment to such should be able to be re-molded.

Quotes from last practice of rookie mini camp:

Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli):
Kubiak said all the running backs in this camp impressed him. Decisions on who makes the team will depend a lot on special teams. #Texans

PDS (@PatDStat):
Alan Bonner improved over the three days. Went deep past a defender and caught a pretty ball down the sideline from Klein.

Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield):
Gary Kubiak on DeAndre Hopkins: "He's special. Ball skills are extremely special. He's gonna help us early." #Texans

PDS (@PatDStat):
DeAndre Hopkins had the catch of the day on a deep ball from Keenum down the sideline. Sliding one handed catch with a DB on him. #Texans

Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield):
Kubiak said he's about to have a "long talk" with QB Collin Klein. Impressed with how far he came in 2.5 days #Texans

Nick Scurfield @NickScurfield

Gary Kubiak continues to like what he
sees in rookie WR Alan Bonner. "His best
day this morning. A ton of ability."
#Texans

Going from 1 cookout to another but have a little time inbetween! :D

As always, Patrick Starr, Stephanie Stradley, Tania Ganguli, Nick, Dave Zangaro, and Marc with most of the tweets..Some of you have already posted em but i'll just try to fill. Some will be the same.

udxzh.jpg

Sam Montgomery was asked are you ready for a day off after these 3 days. He simply said "No."

Kubiak said he's about to have a "long talk" with QB Collin Klein. Impressed with how far he came in 2.5 days

Collin Klein looked the best he has on three days today. Threw the ball with confidence.

That's good to hear. With his running ability he just needs to improve his ball skills.

Kubiak on Collin Klein; "He's found a way his whole career, and he's probably gonna find a way this time, too."

Would like to see him succeed.

DeAndre Hopkins had the catch of the day on a deep ball from Keenum down the sideline. Sliding one handed catch with a DB on him.

Montgomery said he was ready for the morning. Said he was ready to get to the facility and start working at 5:30 am.

This is so random and fitting of these two: @Sonic99_SC met @antoniosmith94 just randomly at a restaurant. Got some advice.

Talked to Brennan Williams said he is looking forward to working with Duane Brown and learn from one of the best in the game.

I wondered if Klein could catch up and after a average day two.l, he really threw some NFL type passes. Still work to be done.

More good news.

Hopkins and Swearinger are ready to contribute now. Already handle themselves as professionals.

Gary Kubiak on DeAndre Hopkins: "He's special. Ball skills are extremely special. He's gonna help us early."

Alan Bonner improved over the three days. Went deep past a defender and caught a pretty ball down the sideline from Klein.

Kubiak said all the running backs in this camp impressed him. Decisions on who makes the team will depend a lot on special teams.

One player to watch is ILB Cameron Collins. Put on some good weight and is 6-2 241 lbs. Was on the 53 man roster last season.

I think Klein did enough to be offered a contract. I was down on him early but he put it together.

More Gary Kubiak on QB Collin Klein: "To watch how far the guy came in 2 and 1/2 days, probably had his best day today, It was impressive."

Supernaw said that catching balls from Keenum is just like catching balls from Yates or Schaub. He's grown that much. #texans #texanstalk

That's high praise.

Offseason workout did wonders for Phillip Supernaw. Big TE and looking forward to him at camp. IR last season bc if foot injury.

Was also impressed with Case Keenum and far he has come over the offseason. Will get a better gauge of his progress in camp.

Montgomery said that its great having HS teammate D.J. Swearinger on #texans. Tells him to run faster and jump higher.

If anyone doubted Montgomery's work ethic he's proving that that was a non-issue. Good work front office! Regardless, it doesn't look like Swearinger would let him slack off. :D

It's only been three days but I'd be shocked if DeAndre Hopkins isn't starting the first game of the season. He's ready now.

Collin Klein started off incredibly rusty and got a little better. He still has a long road ahead of him to be a QB in the NFL.

D.J. Swearinger is a fun guy. He's loud, he's competitive and he has fun playing football. He'll be a favorite of Texans fans.

To me, Cierre Wood and Dennis Johnson stood out among the UDFA running backs at camp. I think one of them will make the 53-man.

Stephen McGee has his work cut out for him to take the No. 3 job from Case Keenum. The team likes him and he looked good.

my sleeper player at camp was OLB Willie Jefferson from Stephen F. Austin. Still learning OLB but has size & potential.

Interested to see if the Texans keep all 23 UDFAs they sign. This class of UDFAs was a nice group.

Gary Kubiak continues to like what he sees in rookie WR Alan Bonner. "His best day this morning. A ton of ability."

One thing I like about Hopkins is that he asks questions. He stopped a WR drill to make sure he understood what Coach Kirksey was wanting.

Gary Kubiak concluded today's minicamp media session by wishing everyone a Happy Mother's Day.

@DrewDougherty ^ V

"Tremendous speed. He can really run."--Kubiak today on #UConn OLB Trevardo Williams

Rookie wide receivers Alec Lemon and Andy Cruse seem to catch everything. Lemon had a nice day 3.

"He’s a very old-school coach. I can say that. He’s a great guy. He’s very straight-forward." - Chris Jones on D-Line coach Kollar

Would it shock you if Bonner is the #3 WR over KMart at the end of the year?

Nope, it wouldn't surprise me all that much, but I doubt it will happen.

I think KMart will take the next step up.

Hopefully, both of them will be able to contribute.

I still like to see if Jeff Maehl can bring some thing to the table.

I think this will be one if the most competitive camps for us ever. I expect to see at least two guys that were on the team last year get cut or lose their spot on the depth chart. I think just about every position group on the team is going to have some interesting battles going on.

Some of these incumbents are going to gave to step their games up.

Would it shock you if Bonner is the #3 WR over KMart at the end of the year?

From what I remember, Martin impressed early in OTAs last season. He became a pro quick. He got on the field early & contributed early. Then he hit the rookie wall.

If Martin continues to progress, that's just that much more Bonner would have to overcome.

However, I don't see KMartin as a YAC guy. At best he can be our new David Anderson. If Bonner can be as dependable as David Anderson & pick up some extra yards.... yeah I could see Bonner overtake Martin.

However, I hope our WR roles aren't as defined as they were in the past, where LeStar backs up Hopkins and Martin & Bonner play the slot. I'd like to see Andre, LeStar, & DeAndre together often.

Martin was afraid of contact from NFL defenders IMO. He looked fine operating outside eRly on, but when they tried to put him in the slot and had him running routes across the middle through traffic he got got gator arms.

Dude dropped the ball too much. He needs to take a gigantic step because based on last year he looked pretty awful.

Martin was afraid of contact from NFL defenders IMO. He looked fine operating outside eRly on, but when they tried to put him in the slot and had him running routes across the middle through traffic he got got gator arms.

Dude dropped the ball too much. He needs to take a gigantic step because based on last year he looked pretty awful.
This is how I remember it, also.

Yep ... that's the first major hurdle ... how fast you get up after getting smacked .

Back