Rookie diary: James Casey

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5936

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

from the link :thinking:

3. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Would be great to see Casey take away the starting TE position from Dressen. Joel has been mediocre since taking over for Owen Daniels and had two inexcusable drops today. I'm sure his athleticism could only help our passing game.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

When Dreessen had his first dropped I turned to my son and said, "where the heck is Casey?" The wife yells from painting in the kitchen, "he's on the bench, who knows why". I couldn't help but chuckle because she was right. Casey catches practically everything thrown his way, but he hardly plays?! Two TE's go down and he still hardly ever sees the field?

I like Dreessen, but:

Casey's faster than Dreessen, he's got better hands than Dreessen and from what I've seen, he runs crisper routes than Dreessen. So, WTF?!

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I am starting to think (actually have been for a while, but did not feel like typing it) that Kubes does not like playing young players. Think about it; when has he given significant playing time to a rookie right off the bat? Only his 1st round picks. Never mind that great teams are playing mid round picks, the Texans wont start a young player unless they are forced.

Barwin should be getting more playing time. Fear the stache.

McCain should see more time, as should Quinn.

Why the hell is Caldwelll not starting?

Casey should be getting time too.

Last year was the same. Slaton was the best back in pre-season, but Green got the first couple starts. And, well, the rest of the picks (excluding Brown) were not very good. I guess I see his point there.

Now, back when he first became coach, young players got the chance to play. Ryans, Daniels, Spencer, Winston, all got time.

Am I the only one that notices this?

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

:rake: yeah, its become common - practice like you play BS.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I am not seeing it. First off, as you build a team it should get harder and harder for rookies to immediately break into the starting lineup. 2006 everyone but the 7th rounder started game 1. 2007 the top three picks, which keep in mind did not include a 2nd rounder, all started or got significant playing time quickly. 2008 two of the top three, again without a 2nd rounder, started almost the entire season and the third was a special teams star and starting to get regular playing time prior to injury. 2009 one didn't make the team, one is on IR, 2 start and 3 are situational players. I'd like to see Casey on the field more but I think the answer is more likely they are concerned about blocking rather than youth.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Ryans > Greenwood and injured Wong
    Daniels > Bruener
    Spencer > Salaam
    Winston > Wade

Pigeon > all

9. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I think it's worth the risk, especially since Dreessen has a bum shoulder. You figure since it's hurt, he would stop trying to catch the football off it and use his hands!

It's been noted that Casey's blocking leaves much to be desired, but our run game is crap anyways so as long as we're passing 40 times a game, might as well have your best pass catching tight end available.