Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie CB Carmichael placed on I.R.; Bulman Resigned

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Texans placed CB Roc Carmichael on I.R. on Friday, ending the season for the fourth-round draft pick. He suffered a shoulder injury early in training camp and the team believed that the injury was too severe for it to keep him on the 53-man roster.

In a corresponding move, DE Tim Bulman was signed just days after he had been released by Houston.

The way we see it

GM Rick Smith clearly figured he'd be able to re-sign Bulman after letting go of him earlier in the week to sign WR David Anderson. Bulman, who played 29 games for the team in 2008-09 before missing the '10 season with a shoulder injury, brings depth to the defensive line, though he isn't expected to make a huge impact.

Carmichael missed nearly all of camp and was not going to see much playing time when he returned, a reason why the team chose to sit him for the remainder of the season.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/09/16/texans-place-rookie-cb-carmichael-on-ir

So, why didn't they just IR Carmichael to begin, with in order to bring back Anderson?

What am I missing here?

I wonder why they didnt IR him out of camp just to free the roster spot .... especially considering they had 4RB's and only 4WR's at the time. After missing all of the shortened training camp , it was doubtful that he would contribute this season anyway.

I figured they would bring him back. Depth is what matters here, and I'm glad we've got that depth back now.

I wonder if they released Bulman because the injury settlement with Carmichael was not going quickly enough to leave Bulman on the roster, so they released Bulman while working on the Carmichael injury settlement.

Nobody will snag Carmichael. I bet he'll back for the 2012 camp.

I could tell by Kubiak's comments earlier in the week that he was very concerned about only having 5 DL in the game... even before the game, he said it was an issue.

He probably hasn't slept since they cut Bulman.

I figured they would bring him back. Depth is what matters here, and I'm glad we've got that depth back now.

I wonder if they released Bulman because the injury settlement with Carmichael was not going quickly enough to leave Bulman on the roster, so they released Bulman while working on the Carmichael injury settlement.

Not sure you're on the right page here mate, they've IR'd him, no injury settlement as they haven't cut him, and no-one can 'snag' him as he's still our player.

Happy enough to have Bulman back, he's decent depth and has spent pre-season with the team so ahead of any other options we might have had with the playbook etc.

Not sure you're on the right page here mate, they've IR'd him, no injury settlement as they haven't cut him, and no-one can 'snag' him as he's still our player.

Happy enough to have Bulman back, he's decent depth and has spent pre-season with the team so ahead of any other options we might have had with the playbook etc.

I thought he was already on I.R. and so the next step was the full release (which needs an injury settlement in order to occur, under the circumstances).

My bad. So he's been fully I.R.'d which keeps him on the payroll, but frees up a roster spot for a guy (Bulman)? Is that the right analysis then?

So, why didn't they just IR Carmichael to begin, with in order to bring back Anderson?

What am I missing here?

According to the injury reports, Carmichael practiced on a limited basis at least one day this week - maybe two. My guess is they knew Bulman wouldn't be claimed/signed, and wanted to see how Carmichael practiced.

I thought he was already on I.R. and so the next step was the full release (which needs an injury settlement in order to occur, under the circumstances).

My bad. So he's been fully I.R.'d which keeps him on the payroll, but frees up a roster spot for a guy (Bulman)? Is that the right analysis then?

Correct, we are pretty much red-shirting him.

They had no intention of working out an injury settlement with Carmichael to cut him. They are pretty high on him which is why he made the roster out of camp .... Had they cut him to try and put him on the PS , there is a very high likelyhood he would have been picked up and shortly after placed on that teams IR.

They placed him on IR to open up the roster spot .... not cut , not PS. Since he's on IR , no team can snag him .

Good news. With how things have shaken out I wonder if they had maybe planned on adding a 5th receiver regardless.

Plus if they sign the veterans after week 1 their contracts aren't guarenteed the whole season in case they release them again.

Good news. With how things have shaken out I wonder if they had maybe planned on adding a 5th receiver regardless.

I think they wanted a 5th but no one worked out from camp especially when Lestar Jean ended up on IR.

I get the feeling that they are waiting for a team to get desperate for a RB and move Slaton then. The guy has been a 1200 yard rusher in the league , it would really suck to have to let him go with no compensation .... and that prior to Walter's injury the plan was to hold off on a 5th WR until that move could be made. That injury forced their hand ....

...but bulman was on the roster week 1 so his was already guaranteed right?

I'm guessing he's talking about David Anderson, but yes, I'm pretty sure Bulman is a vested veteran (3 or more years of service) and therefore guaranteed because of his week one roster presence.

Edit: It's actually four years of service to become vested, and the way it's defined, I think Bulman only has 3, so I don't think Bulman is vested/guaranteed for this season.

Will Carmichael be classified as a rookie next year since he didn't play at all this season? Just curious. Same question I've wondered about Tate. He got hurt in the first preseason game last year so I'm not sure if he's still a rookie. Works that way in basketball (Blake Griffin for example) but not sure about football.

This a great move with Roc as we need to see how some of these roster corners are going to do. Maybe he will turn out to be another Tate. Just hope he heals well.

Putting Carmichael on IR was the right thing to do and should have been done 2 weeks ago. I'm disappointed that we couldn't find anyone better than Bulman to fill out the open roster spot.

Back