Roof open!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by valleytexfan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

Our only night game of the year--please Texans, open the roof! If it starts to sprinkle, close the roof. A night game needs open air. PLEASE :user: :texflag:

2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

They all need to be open air.

3. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

here, here Chris. What does the Houston forecast look like?

Sorry mods, I know this is in the wrong area. Please move and/or merge with any other thread. My mistake.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

5. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

It's called the 50/80 rule.

The roof is to be open if the temp is between 50 and 80 degrees . . . and . . . if there's no chance of rain in the forecast.

Hey . . all you candyasses got nobody to blame but yourselves for all that crying about them leaving the roof open when it was hot.

The 'below 50 limit' is the one that has me has me laughing. We should all move to Green Bay. I don't think they have a 'below 50 limit' up there.

6. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

The roof makes sense for concerts and stuff, but for pro sports? come on... Houstonians can be so whiny sometimes :)

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

This is what it says on the Texans website:

Link

8. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Looks like the rain % drops to 20% by tonight.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

As a native midwesterner, I can understand those wanting the roof open
    and the game being played in the elements. I to miss that when I go to Reliant Stadium. But this is Houston, TX and unexpected downpoors do
    happen. Therfor, I doubt that the roof is open if there is any chance of rain,
    no matter the temp. If the roof was open, its national TV, and a gulley-washer occured the Texans organization would never hear the end of it.

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

The "no chance of rain thing" is not accurate. The big concern that they have is storms that have high winds. High wind gusts can mess up the roof when it is open.

Also, they are not supposed to close the roof once it is open. The NFL doesn't want gamesmanship with the roof.

11. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I thought they could close it if some unexpected rain or snow started to fall, but once it is closed it had to stay closed.

12. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

NFL rules don't allow roof closing or opening once a game starts. For reasons known only to the NFL folks, they say that you could affect the game's outcome
    by the roof being open/closed and then reversed. I do believe you can ask for permission ahead of time to change the roof status mid game - but I'm not sure about that one. I also know that August and Sept games in Houston don't warrant an outdoor experience. But tonight - let the roof be open.

13. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I understand where they are coming from......like opening up the roof at the end of the game while the opposing team is driving down the field for a field goal or something, but seems stupid to me not to be able to close it during halftime if unexpected weather comes along. I really do hope it's open tonight, it's perfect football weather.

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I may be wrong but I think the idiotic rule state the roof is closed below 50 and above 80 and if it is raining...or something like that. Overall, what a waste. Football was made to be played outdoors and the roof is always closed. At least they stopped making their own fog with the fireworks.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, it'd be smart for them to close it. Even if it was only 65 degrees there will be alot of people wearing jackets. The odds are all the jackets would not be Battle Red.

So, in order to have a true Battle Red game, close the roof and leave the jackets in the car.

:fans:

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The people that complained about it being hot said nothing about the "50" part of that rule. The "80" part of the rule is reasonable and necessary. The other is not.

That is why I wear thermals, then a turtleneck, sometimes a hoodie, and then the jersey on the outside. Have to represent!

BTW, the gameday e-mail says roof will be open, subject to change, of course.

17. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

You could always go to the Go Texans store at Reliant and purchase a reasonably priced battle red jacket to wear. :tomato:

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That's the way to do it, but do you think the rest of the fans will? I say keep it closed and not ruin the outcome of Battle Red day.:texflag:

I've seen people wearing jackets at 70 degrees in Texas, so I know it'll happen.

19. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

They'll be giving away free shirts at the game, throw one of those over your jacket.

20. Historyhorn

Historyhorn Veteran

As a survivor (sunny side) of the infamous Pittsburgh broiler game, I'm all in favor of the roof policy on the 80 degree side of things. As for the 50 degree side....keep the darn thing open. Unless you're talking about sub zero temps, there's no real danger to folks.

The heat for a Sept. home opener is another story however.

Go Texans