Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ron Rivera on Jj Watt

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
On the way home I just happened catch a bit on some NFL station on XM/Sirius. They were talking to Ron Rivera & he mentioned how he hadn't really studied Jj Watt. He knew Watt was good, but never really watched him play. While preparing for this weeks game, he says he got to sit down & find out who he is. Ron said Jj's the real deal.

He said it was the same way when he got to workout with the Dolphins. He'd heard about Ndamakang Suh that he was a really good player, probably go top 5. But since the Panthers weren't drafting anywhere near 5, they skipped Suh & studied the players that should be in their range. Same thing with Watt, they expected him to be gone by the time there pick came around, they talked about him, but didn't spend a lot of time on him.

I'm sure every team does it a little different, we were looking to trade up to get Patrick Peterson, thought about going through with the trade even after Peterson was gone, to get Aldon Smith. But overall it confirmed for me something I've thought for a long while. NFL coaches don't have time to really get to know college players. They're too busy studying the guys they're about to face next week.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

Back