Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Romo on Texans' defense: 'Probably the best I have seen this year'"

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Despite his solid play, Romo praised the Texans' defensive effort, which resulted in two forced turnovers (the third came from special teams), a sack and four quarterback hits.

"That was an outstanding defensive unit that we went against today," he said. "Probably the best I have seen this year, and we were going to expose them a little bit down the field, but we just did not have time during the game to get to that."
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-tex...fense-probably-the-best-i-have-seen-this-year

and we were going to expose them a little bit down the field, but we just did not have time during the game to get to that."

:thinking:

Yeah, I had some homework due last night, but I ran out of time because I was too busy playing games.

Yeah i was proud of our defense..Considering how much weaponry they have we held them down pretty good and got TO's. Shame we couldn't put enough points on the board to win....defensively though, we're only going to get better once Clowney, Buoye & Morris come back. Cush is also rounding into form too...by the time we reach the thick of our division schedule we should be on point.......save for no more injuries.

Brooks Reed's second good game.

Kendrick Lewis had a good game.

Jared Crick had a not-bad game.

JJo had a nice game, although Dez helped.

DJ Swag didn't have any big blown plays that I recall.

Dre Hal, rookie, showed me something.

Kick coverage was good, punt coverage not so much but it looked like Lechler was out-kicking the coverage due to flatter punts...?

Yep, anytime you only allow about 500 yds it's a great day

With the rules these days, that's actually true. Defense these days is all about turnovers/big plays and red zone/3rd down. No one has a defense that shuts down the yardage anymore. They aren't allowed.

With the rules these days, that's actually true. Defense these days is all about turnovers/big plays and red zone/3rd down. No one has a defense that shuts down the yardage anymore. They aren't allowed.

Yeah, I'm surprised JJo didn't draw a flag for being in Dez Bryant's way, forcing him to push off to get open for the TD. :kitten:

True this, and add PPG too.

I always disliked that Wade's defenses were top 5 in the NFL in yards allowed but in the middle of the pack for points.

True this, and add PPG too.

I always disliked that Wade's defenses were top 5 in the NFL in yards allowed but in the middle of the pack for points.

Wade was our defensive coordinator in 2011 (5th in points allowed), 2012 (9th in points allowed), & in 2013 (24th in ppg)....

what exactly does "always" mean to you?

Would be nice to see our OLB's generate a pass rush. As it is right now they have the bad habit of not getting to the QB. Reed and Mercilus need to step up and help Watt out more than they currently are.

Wade was our defensive coordinator in 2011 (5th in points allowed), 2012 (9th in points allowed), & in 2013 (24th in ppg)....

what exactly does "always" mean to you?

2011 was the good year. His first year, the year all of his defenses work well.

at Denver Broncos W 31–25
Green Bay Packers L 24–42
Jacksonville Jaguars W 43–37 (OT)
at Detroit Lions W 34–31 (OT)
at New England Patriots L 14–42
at Indianapolis Colts L 16–28
at New England Patriots (2) L 28–41

His man coverage gave up way too many big plays that year. 2013 was a disaster for everyone, but even the first two wins were high in points allowed.

the only bad defensive play was when JJ whiffed on the sack
and the DB simply fell down tripping over his own two feet --
leading to an instant big-play touchdown.

Other than that, solid..

Agreed, but we've been extremely fortunate to have forced as many red zone turnovers as we have this season. Two in the Washington game, at least one in the Buffalo game, one in the Giants game (and the muffed FG attempt)….that can't keep up.

Can it?

Agreed, but we've been extremely fortunate to have forced as many red zone turnovers as we have this season. Two in the Washington game, at least one in the Buffalo game, one in the Giants game (and the muffed FG attempt)….that can't tkeep up.

Can it?

Romeo, as a DC, ALWAYS has a higher rated red zone defense than overall defense. His style of umbrella zones with calculated and disguised blitzes, usually produces a lot of turnovers.

Other than that, solid..

Cou~DemarcoMurrayRanFor138yards~gh...

Other than that, solid..

Pretty much /END THREAD!

99 (yes, pun intended) out of 100, JJ makes that sack.

Other than that, solid..

I felt like I had been kicked in the nads when that happened. Can't imagine how #99 felt.

Well Romo is just full of news today

Link

I always figured the rumors were true! :spit:

Interesting read. Also read "Osama Bin Laden found alive in Pennsylvania Amish community, Illinois passes law banning both paper and plastic bags, CBS new reality show Survivor: Ebola to air in early 2015, Congress proposes ban on out of country destination weddings.:cutthroat:

Well Romo is just full of news today

Link

I always figured the rumors were true! :spit:

Perfect. Nothing I hate worse than getting beat up by "sexually challenged" people.

And, fyi.... there's no player I liked in the league more than Terrell Owens when he was playing, but I always thought he had some sugar in his britches.

Perfect. Nothing I hate worse than getting beat up by "sexually challenged" people.

And, fyi.... there's no player I liked in the league more than Terrell Owens when he was playing, but I always thought he had some sugar in his britches.

Why?

Yep, anytime you only allow about 500 yds it's a great day

I wouldn't get so concerned with yards. The biggest test for a defense is not giving up many points, how you perform in the redzone and how you create turnovers. We did all that against the Cowboys. We just did not convert any turnovers to points on offense. That's why we lost.

Cou~DemarcoMurrayRanFor138yards~gh...

Yeah, but took him five quarters and 31 attempts to get there. And he lost a fumble.

Interesting stats on Murray:

Majority of attempts are on first down (87/130) and in the first half. Get past his 1st down stats and his production is rather pedestrian. He is a 1st down volume runner.

Unlike interception, fumbles in a football game is a very fluky occurrence. Every defender strips for the ball and hope for the best. And sometimes when a player is hit at a perfect angle the ball pops out. Those are fluky moments.

We've been very fortunate to benefits from these gifts in the sky. Add that to the fact that most of those occurrence took place in the red zone is a big reason I'm not at all impress by Texans defense. And also a few drop passes by recievers near the end zone also contributed to points not accounted for.

Unlike interception, fumbles in a football game is a very fluky occurrence. Every defender strips for the ball and hope for the best. And sometimes when a player is hit at a perfect angle the ball pops out. Those are fluky moments.

We've been very fortunate to benefits from these gifts in the sky. Add that to the fact that most of those occurrence took place in the red zone is a big reason I'm not at all impress by Texans defense. And also a few drop passes by recievers near the end zone also contributed to points not accounted for.

So what are our options? What can the Texans do to fix this right now?

Or should we just lower our expectations from six to four wins this season?

Not impressed with the defense because they generate turnovers in the red zone that are "fluky"? You're trying too hard to be critical.

Back