Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Romeo Crennel for DC?

Silver Oak

All Pro
with Bill Cowher's name popping up more frequently in the rumor mill as Romeo's replacement, would Crennel be a good fit here? he was wildly succesful in NE so he has some talents we could certainly use.

maybe he's one of those coachs that is a good assistant, but just doesn't have what it takes to be a good HC...or maybe he didn't have a good GM in Cleveland (Phil "I'll F-bomb text ya" Savage) to help him along?

either way, IMO, he's a good one to keep in mind as we hopefully begin our search for a new DC after the season.

I want the Giants DL coach and NO ONE ELSE. That guy has the exact same defense we have and has worked miracles with whoever he's been given. That DL Is diruptive as hell

I'd totally be down for Crennel as a DC. You've got to get someone from either Parcell's tree or Bellichik's.

I dont care what tree they fall from ..... as long as they are productive and creative with their scheme .

I'll pass on Romeo .... The Browns are NEVER prepared to play on gameday .... If he cant get them prepared why would he do any better here ?
That defense we saw Sunday was neither creative nor productive.

I want the Giants DL coach and NO ONE ELSE. That guy has the exact same defense we have and has worked miracles with whoever he's been given. That DL Is diruptive as hell

I've watched the Gaints a few times this season and they just confuse the **** out of people .... I'm not sold on the fact that their DL coach could construct an entire defense but he sure does a hell of a job with that DL. They move people around a lot and create situations where OL dont know what their assignments are. I've also seen them move DE's inside to use some line stunts that again seem to confuse the OL.

Rod Marinelli. Kubiak get it done!!!

Looking at the players here already with Okoye,williams, adibi,ryans,robinson,bennett,and wilson, I think his 1 gap 2 deep ill be perfect. Okoye as a 1 gap and Mario coming straight upfield along wiith adibi as a run and it guy with ryans. Bennett and daunte as physical tackling corners, he would be a perfect fit.

I dont care what tree they fall from ..... as long as they are productive and creative with their scheme .

I don't care per se, but it's hard to ignore the fact that coaches that have worked for Bill Parcells seem to have a much higher success rate than those that haven't.

I'll pass on Romeo .... The Browns are NEVER prepared to play on gameday .... If he cant get them prepared why would he do any better here ?
That defense we saw Sunday was neither creative nor productive.

They were in New England when he was DC.

I've watched the Gaints a few times this season and they just confuse the **** out of people .... I'm not sold on the fact that their DL coach could construct an entire defense but he sure does a hell of a job with that DL. They move people around a lot and create situations where OL dont know what their assignments are. I've also seen them move DE's inside to use some line stunts that again seem to confuse the OL.

What makes you think that's the line coach and not the DC scheme?

Really? Do you think so?

Hence you hire one of his pupils hoping that it translates from position coach to coordinator.

I don't have any idea. I've never interviewed, nor read an interview with either of them. I was curious if people had more insight that just assuming it was the DLine coach.

Maybe we can do a reverse of the Browns chant and chant Romeo for DC to The coach this monday night. That might get the message to Rick across.

Old thread but the title fits...

Romeo seems to have escaped criticism for this season...isn’t he supposed to still be involved with what’s going on with the defense?

Unless people just aren’t listening to him anymore and he’s just been giving unfollowed suggestions and critiques all year then he needs to go to.

It could be that Vrabel just doesn't have the talent or experienced players to run the defense on the field. Let's just wait for next year when some very valuable players will return to level judgement on Vrabel.

Last edited:
I look at it like this. Our defense, for years now even with Crennel calling the shots has always started a bit slow. I don't know whether that's just a perception on my part or if statistics will back that up but I definitely feel like our defense enters every season looking a bit "grab-asstic" and then there's always a stretch of weeks where they would kind of pull it together. Somebody would start really balling out and playing out of his mind about that time and then by the last quarter of the season we were doing pretty good.

This year we obviously started the season in a mess defensively and really before we even hit that spot where the defense starts to find itself we seemed to start losing guys. We were trying to get Watt back into his groove and get Clowney and Watt playing together and finding out how they fit on the same defense and before you even know what's going on you're down Watt, Cushing, and Mercilus. You could point out that Watt wasn't here last year and that's valid. You could also say that losing Cushing doesn't cost you that much. That would also be valid. It is a change though that you have to get used to. It's a guy coming in without his experience. He's faster but he maybe doesn't have the knowledge or the instincts yet. Mercilus was just a flat out loss and now our secondary is so bad that we can't even depend on them to hold up for more than 2 or so seconds.

So Vrabel has to try and make chicken salad out of all this chicken ****. That he wasn't making chicken salad from day one I can live with. Crennel doesn't have the chicken salad recipe ready on opening day every year either. That's on schedule to my mind.

Another thing is that defenses play differently when they're being supported by a high scoring offense. Our defense had that for a few weeks while we were losing guys right and left and just about the time I thought it might stabilize on the D side of the ball our Football Jesus (DW4) was lost and the offense went into hibernation. We all see that Vrabel seems like to blitz. He's a bit more aggressive than Crennel was over the past few years and it hurts us when we don't get there in time or the other team's offense can afford to be patient. I think his defense would look a lot more like what Crennel or Wade Phillips was putting out there if he was playing with a lead that was pushing the other team's offense to catch up or at least keep pace.

Next season we hopefully can keep the defense healthy for the most part and maybe find help in the secondary. Then we'll see what Vrabel can do. Romeo ain't going anywhere. If things get out of hand next season I think he'll get more involved again. This year was just too all-over-the-place to judge anyone much over.

Reactions: JB
Crennel is a master at disguising the coverage. Vrabel might learn, but if we get a coach and offense that can go somewhere then we need Crennel as DC at the same time.

I might get killed for this but I’m a little intrigued with Pagano as DC. Terrible head coach but the guy was great with pass defense and defenses overall before he went to Indy

I might get killed for this but I’m a little intrigued with Pagano as DC. Terrible head coach but the guy was great with pass defense and defenses overall before he went to Indy

He had players before he went to Indy

Back