Rolle's roll in our secondary...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by pittbull, Jan 26, 2005.

1. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Sorry that i've been gone for some time, but I just needed to get away after a slight disappointing season. I'm like players, give me a couple weeks off, then back to the drawing board. ANYWAY, thought is, Antrell Rolle is going to be moved to safety, due to his size, strength, toughness, and hitting. Two other corners are ranked above him at the present time. Texans should really take a look at drafting another playmaker in the secondary 1st round, drafting a linebacker in the second round, moving Coleman back to corner, and either himself or AG to the nickle corner. We play in a conference with spread O's anyway, and both Coleman and AG are on the downside of their careers. This will give us more speed, and toughness on the field. Look at Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The 3-4 scheme needs playmakers at safety, not safety valves!! :banana:

2. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

Just curious but where are you seeing two corner's rated higher than Rolle and who are they?

I haven't seen anything that indicates Jones or Rogers (or any of the others) have surpassed him on draft boards.

3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I would prefer to take one of the top CBs (not Rolle) and leave Coleman at FS. We need to have Glenns replacement on board SOON.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Adam Jones will likely be the top rated corner once the combine is over. He claims to run a 4.2 fourty (from what he told Mel Kiper). I think Rolle will become a Safety also.

5. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Jones is the #1 rated corner, from WVU, and the other is the corner from, I believe Auburn? I'll do some research and get back to ya!

6. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I believe you're thinking of Carlos Rogers (#14) CB from Auburn. Brandon Browner from Oregon State, and Justin Miller from Clemson are also among the leading CB prospects. As of now I'd rank them Jones, Rogers, Rolle, Miller, and Browner.

7. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

That's him, Thanks!.....Brain Freeeeeeeeeeze :hairpull:

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The fact that Rolle can play S or CB is something that increases his value. Especially in Capers' 3-4, where players blitz and drop into zones from almost anywhere, he would be an ideal fit. I hope we get him.

9. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

The thing with Rolle is that if what people say about his speed is true, he better be in the right scheme or he'll never last as a CB. That said, he could drop pretty far in the draft with other, faster CBs getting bumped up (Jones, Rogers, Miller, Jackson)

Does anyone see 5 CBs really going in the first round? Rolle could very possibly drop into the 2nd round with so many good CB prospects coming out.

10. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

is antrel related to samari in any way?

11. Blake

Blake MMQB

He wont last until the 2nd. He should be the first or 2nd CB off the board. If anyone drops to the 2nd, it will be Jackson, or Miller.

12. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:howdy: With the rule changes the big physical corners who are not as quick may have problems.

13. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I dont believe that rolle will even fall to us and still consider him the top CB in the draft, he is a better CB than the others IMO and matches up better with the big AJ type receicer, and if I was going to take a safety, i would take TD rather than Rolle anyway.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Samari and Antrelle are brothers.

15. infantrycak

Matching Rolle against AJ would be the perfect example of why you don't need or want a "big" CB to go up against a big WR--AJ would torch him all day long. Within the 5 yard zone Rolle would have no size advantage over AJ. Outside of 5 yards AJ is considerably faster and Rolle doesn't have the reactions/closing speed to react against him.

Rolle would be a FS while Thomas Davis will be a SS--totally separate beasts.

16. THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Rookie

I agree, with Rolle does move to S it will be FS, not what we need. But what is with all this we need to take a CB at #13? There are so many great CBs in this draft we can still get a decent corner in the 2nd round, say Corey Webster or Marlin Jackson. I have always said its the front seven that make the defense, and look at our front seven..............

17. infantrycak

The what's with is that the front seven guy that may be available may not be as good as the CB that is available. Johnson is sitting at 13 then take him. I am not convinced yet there is a solid addition for the DL that is better for the 3-4 than several other players that may be available at 13 whether it be CB, WR or TE. You build a great team by adding the most talent, not just addressing the biggest need.

18. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

no they are not related, atleast not closely like brothers or cousins. but they are both from miami.

its funny that you say antrel couldn't hold his own against aj because actually they had some very good matchups in practice in 2002. of course both players have improved since then so who knows.

19. infantrycak

You sure about that?:

Link

College DB's are allowed to play far more physically and with a lot more down-field contact than NFL DB's. Rolle's lack of speed both straight line and closing and the prohibition on contact make him a poor match-up in the NFL for AJ, IMO.

20. wags

wags Hall of Fame

I remember the Green Bay game when Glenn trailed the reciver deep and then cut right in front to pick it off. The announcers said something like Glenn loves to play against bigger recivers because it makes playing the deep ball easier.