Roethlisberger denies civil allegations of sexual assault

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by axman40, Jul 20, 2009.

1. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

In a complaint that reads like the rape allegations made several years ago against NBA star Kobe Bryant, Harrah's employee Andrea McNulty alleges sexual assault against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in a lawsuit filed last week in Washoe County, Nevada.

But lawyer David Cornwell strongly denied the allegations Monday night, in a statement released to PFT. "Ben has never sexually assaulted anyone; especially Andrea McNulty," Cornwell said.

In the civil suit, which Cornwell confirms was served on Roethlisberger over the weekend and a copy of which our own Gregg Rosenthal has obtained, McNulty alleges that Roethlisberger asked her to come to his hotel room to fix the television, and that he thereafter forced her to have sex with him.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-denies-civil-allegations-of-sexual-assault/

2. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I have to say I've never heard of a woman TV repair person???

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

"especially whatever her name is" Nice phrasing counsel. So there are other people that might have more reason to make the allegations.

Just an observation - no judgment on the merits at all although my suspicion is in Ben's favor.

4. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

The fact that this is a civil case and so far as I can tell there is no CRIMINAL charge kind of makes me not take it as seriously as I probably should. I mean - if it's rape, shouldn't this be a criminal case?

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

That is what his attorney is saying too. PFT is also lamenting the fact that sources like ESPN are failing to pick up the story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/21/espn-ignores-big-ben-story-so-far/

6. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Her story seems a bit strange to me...

link

For those interested in reading the Civil Complaint PDF

7. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Seriously, I think these athletes need to not be alone with other women who is not their wife or girlfriend because bad things happen. If he did it shame on him, but nowadays the allegations are enough to ruin a reputation.

hollywood_texan likes this.
  8. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

And when he says Whatever her name is he means last years Texans defensive coordinator Richard Smith.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Why did it take her a year to file the suit? This seems really fishy.

10. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I read somewhere that Albert Pujols is fairly paranoid about this type of thing. He always rooms with at least one other player. If he is going up in an elevator and there is only one woman in the elevator he waits for the next one or takes the stairs.

Paranoid, but perhaps justified too.

11. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

So amazing how ESPN has their fingers in their ears yelling "la-la-la-la-la" about this whole thing. I thought maybe Mike & Mike In The Morning might have a word on it, but instead I know what Ashton Kutcher's last tweet was and that T.O. has a cereal coming out. I know the show is fluff, but it doesn't stop them with other athletes.

I won't be home today but would be interested to see if they dare piss Big Ben off not to mention tarnish their corporate relationship and report the known fact this is he's being sued.

The Leader....pffft. ESPN has an interest in keeping him clean - see Shaq's "reality" show. Just so screwed up on so many levels.

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

They just had the ESPY's and Roethlisberger was scheduled to attend, which probably meant he would be interviewed during the the build up, the show, and after

http://espnmediazone.com/press_rele...LightUpThe2009ESPYsHostedbySamuelLJackson.htm

13. gary

gary Hall of Fame

No one will ever know because no one was there. It is just another case of he said she said nothing more and nothing less. The aren't any cameraes in any hotel room that I know of. How is she going to prove her case? Marks on her? I doubt it. We all have our questions about this story. Why wasn't Ben ever charged? She is already asking for money and waited a year to file her suit. Why? I don't know if I buy she was too scared to tell anyone right away I know I would. I have never heard of a lady repair person. We don't know if something happend but she agreed to it and now she sees it as a way to make money so she is now telling a lie. I think she has already won though regardless of the outcome of the case beacause she has changed the way people will look at Ben for the rest of his life.

14. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

Maybe he just prefers the company of men?

15. Blazing Arrow

yes if Ben Roethlisberger raped you in his hotel room I would imagine you would be screaming from the top of your lungs.

And she was not a repair person she was the hotel concierge. He just asked her to see if she could fix the TV. Assuming she is telling the truth which on that part she probably at least is she would have probably attempted to fix it on her own before calling hotel repair. Probably assumed the motorcycle accident made the use of remotes difficult for him.

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Isn't Pujols married?

17. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

It doesn't matter. Some claims are legitimate and others are scams. If caught up in a scam it's still going to cost you money and a blemish on your reputation. It's unfortunate that people in the limelight need body guards or witnesses, but sometimes that's what it takes to protect yourself.

At this time, I don't see adequate proof of the claims and will wait to see how the events unfold before casting doubt of Roethlisberger's innocence.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Look Mr. Did I say screaming? You do not wait a year that my friend is just way too long. She has already stated the amount of money she would like. Wouldn't you want the cops to know ASAP to try to get the person locked up? I now understand she is not the hotel T.V. repair person. This case is Kobe Bryant 2.0.

19. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Exactly. He doesn't want to be Gatti-ed.

I'm the same way and I have no money.

20. Blazing Arrow

Not necessarily. If she was afraid she would loose her job over it she might not want to tell anyone. Assuming she did tell the security at the hotel she could have also expected it to be taken care of but never was. She could have been ashamed that she let it happen. She also probably thought no one would believe her as is evident from this threads reaction. There are a lot of reasons why she could have waited but I am sure the hotel telling her that she needed to go on vacation for a couple weeks while he came back if the event really did happen was the final straw. Also the reason they may not be going after him criminally is because of lack of evidence. A prosecutor could have taken a look at her story and said there was no way to get a guilty charge on him. Lawyer steps in and says maybe not in criminal but in civil trial she could.

And the comment about the screaming was if he attack YOU. He is a big dude and he might go all prison shower on you and it would be hard to stop if he really wanted it.