Rodger Goodell...Good for the game or Not?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Rey, May 23, 2012.

?

Is Goodell good for the game of football?

1. I HATE him.

16.7%
  2. He's just not a good Commish

27.8%
  3. I don't know yet..

22.2%
  4. He's alright I guess.

22.2%
  5. He is AWESOME.

11.1%
  1. Rey

Rey Guest

http://www.quora.com/NFL/Is-Roger-Goodell-a-good-NFL-commissioner

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

I voted "I Don't Know Yet" because I lean toward him being "good" but ultimately I need to see what NFL football looks like 10 years from now.

That's going to be the measure of his tenure, IMO. Will the measures he's set forth today...reap benefits 10 years from now...or will it have reduced the game into something less than what we expect it to be?

Only time will tell. Right now, he's trying--IMO--to protect the game from spiraling into a P.R. debacle of suicidal and stumbling mumbling ex-players who are a shell of their former self.

To me, the concussion issue is THE hardest aspect to control/remedy. There are simply too many players who will sacrifice the long term health for the short term gain of hiding their concussion or coming back from it too early. In the NFL, if you snooze you lose...and that dog-eat-dog mentality is what I think gets players into long term health problems.

They know if they don't perform, they lose their roster spot. And I think that's got to change. They've got to build in some protections for guys who receive concussions--almost like a specialized I.R. situation. From what CnD said, the brain needs time to bounce back from a concussion...if it's given proper time to recover, the player usually benefits in the long run. Rushing back to the field and getting concussed again is a compounding effect that has bad long term results. There's a threshold there that has to be honored.

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

None of those poll answers represented my feelings so i abstained from doing that, but i do believe he's trying to do what's best for the game and the longevity of its players. I don't think he needs to hold as much power as he does when it comes to disciplining players for fines and suspensions, and I don't think i'm the only one there.

I believe he's doing a good job but we'll have to wait and see how these changes he's making affect the game long term.

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think he's doing what he's doing because of liability rather than out of some desire to see the players taken care of. But what I really hate him for is the crappy ass rules he's put in place. You cannot exempt the QB position from being hit when you're also making the game as offense oriented as it is. I hate the rules that he's put in that basically make it so the receiver cannot be hit until he's secured the ball. Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater would not be who they were in today's NFL. Mostly, however, I hate the inherent subjectivity that is involved in these types of rules and how he's allowed that to flourish. For the rules that really do have to exist for the safety of the game, make concrete, clearly defined rules that require no subjectivity to enforce.

And if he's really serious about the safety of the game, then he should take a hard stance against PEDs. They make everyone bigger and faster, and Mr. Physics dictates that those things are making the game a helluva lot more brutal than it used to be, even with the rules changes. Sure, we don't need Night Train Lane out there clotheslining people - rules make a difference. But when you have 'roided up giants smashing into each other at faster speeds than ever before, Mr. Physics dictates that things break. Take sensible rules and then get people back down to human being sized players, and the game will be fine.

drs23, RazorOye and Scooter like this.
  5. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

I think everything he is doing around player safety is spin and damage control. He is trying to get ahead of the coming surge of lawsuits.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I hear what you're saying and I agree with a lot of it...

I chose that I think he is ok....

I don't like a lot of the rule changes that he's made, but I think he has helped the game to flourish somewhat...Then again, it's football....

It'd probably be a popular sport no matter what. Especially with all the negativie things that have happened in some other sports.

But I do think that the tighter structure and pulling in the reigns some in will be good in the long run...even if it loosens back up in the future...

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Not to be complimentary ..... but he's better than Selig or Stern.

8. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    :goodpost:

eriadoc's view is pretty much where my take on the issue is and it sure saved me a lot of keystrokes. :)

rep