Rod Gardner

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TEXANS84, Jul 1, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

This just in from rotoworld.com, front page NFL.

2. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Was R. Gardner a Casserly draftee????

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

WR is one of our stronger parts of the roster, I don't see us going after Gardner...

4. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

May not sound like much, but the difference between the Texans making the playoffs and having another mediocre season is in he hands of a true #2 receiver. Although Gardner has failed to live up to the hype when drafted, he would be a perfect fit as a #2 in H-town. Gaffney banged up. Bradford has failed to achieve, and frankly, without Carr having a true second option, he'll be yelled out of town by not producing. Acutall, who in the leauge with the receiving corp we have, after AJ? Gaffney a good #3, Mathis a rookie, but after that..............................I don't even want to think about. Please bring in Rod and give us hope for the playoffs!

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I find it hard to imagine that receiver is our missing ingredient for the playoffs.

6. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Rod Gardner has terrible hands. There's a reason his nickname is 50/50.

7. throwANDREtheBALL

throwANDREtheBALL Veteran

hahahhahahha.........50/50.........it cracks me up everytime I hear his nickname...........that's gotta be the worst as a reciever.

its gotta sting even worse than butterfingers or hands of stone.

50/50 hahhahahaha

Corey Bradford is getting close to that one too.

8. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

Maybe the Lions should get him :bomb:

9. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

If the Lions get him ya'll might as well bring back the run and shoot with all those WR's ya'll would have.

I have NO INTEREST in 50/50 playing for us. Though I wouldn't mind us making the playoffs this year I really dont think he'd be the DIFFERENCE.

Though Gaffney lacks the ideal speed at 2 I'd rather have him. He's still young and had a nice year last year. I think we have 3 solid WR's to build on and our 4 and 5 aren't bad either. I'm looking fwd to future years of AJ, JM, and JG. Let them get the reps this year.

10. Fury

Fury Rookie

Jerome Mathis won't contribute much as a rookie this year. Generally, it is very seldom that rookie receivers put up a 1,000 yard season. Most don't do well until the magical 3rd year in the league.

It's time for Gaffney to fulfill his promise. That said, signing Gardner would not impede his progress. Having AJ and Gardner would allow Gaffney to become even more open. Gaffney would have the opposing D's least capable D-back covering him.

I think Gardner has a lot to offer. Look at some of those QB's he had in that dead-in-the-water Redskin O the past few years: Ramsey, Brunell, T. Hasselbeck, Danny Wuerfful...if it's 50/50, I think that would also mean that half of them were just bad passes. The guy is capable. I would love it if the Titans signed him, and wouldn't cry about it if the Texans signed him. If the Jags sign him, I hope he changes to 25 caught/75 dropped. :cool:

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

TE, WR2, and OLT are the most blaring weaknesses on the team. We address those next offseason, and I think we will be in the hunt. This year I think we will be on the bubble.

12. TPIMP

TPIMP Veteran

Word is Rod Gardner will be released. We have the cap space. He is still young. If nothing else he and Dre would make the best blocking WR's in the league.

13. throwANDREtheBALL

His hands are suspect, and like was said in the NFL discussion board, his nickname is 50/50........not exactly the kind of nickname that you want your receiver to have.

14. throwANDREtheBALL

correction there..........C and TE are our most glaring needs and LT as well, if Pitts isn't moved back to that spot.

WR2 isn't one of our top 3 needs or it would've been addressed. (or, maybe it would've been ignored along with the other top needs?)

15. pockets44

pockets44 Rookie

I don't think our need is finding a new TE but using the ones we got! Billy Miller is a play maker, we just don't use him like we should. He is a valuable weapon to Carr when used. D-line, OT, and #2 reciver is whats keeping us out of the playoffs

16. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

We would have taken Williamson he had fallen to us at 13. The opportunity just didn't present itself. Perhaps Mathis will be that guy, but he is still very raw.

17. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I am wondering if the Texans are willing to go after a guy like that. He doesn't set the world on fire and isn't much of an upgrade over Bradford and the team has been able to keep the same 4 WR going on 3-4 years. Why would they want to disrupt that chemistry for somebody that is basically not a prime time receiver?

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

So is Williamson. I'm very happy with the way the draft worked out in this regard. Mathis in the 4th (who's just as good an athlete as Williamson) makes more sense than Williamson in the 1st.

In regards to Rod, I'm not sure he'll even be released. He's the only WR the Skins have with size & his release would save just $1.5 mil against the cap.

20. Ghetto D

Ghetto D Rookie

Yeah, but they need the space to sign their 2 first rounders. For cash strapped teams, $1.5 may be a big deal. Enough to get their picks signed.

I'm with Vinny in that I have my doubts about it happening, but I would be very happy to see him here. I think he is a big upgrade over Bradford, who hasn't show me anything since the first half of the first seaon. I also think that Gaffney would make an excellent 3rd reciever (Brandon Stokley anyone?), but just isn't ever going to be a quality 2nd WR. If our WR are actual threats, that opens things up for DD and makes things easier for the O-Line.

With our quick drops we would do well to pick up a possesion reciever like this who can fight for yards after the catch.

As was mentioned before, he's also a good blocker and would team nicely with AJ, Bruener, and one of the top run-blocking O-Lines to upgrade our running game.