Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Robinson ranked #8

"Plus, he doesn't shy away from making tackles"
That's about that same as saying Earl Campbell didn't shy away from contact
with DBs. Like Earl, D-Rob actively seeks out contact, he just plain looks for
it. Pound for pound, he's gotta be the hardest hitter I've ever seen. If he was a 200 pounder they'd have to make him illegal.

Yea, he's was awesome watch last year. Let's hope he can parlay that into his sophomore campaign (which I'm sure he will). He may not be the hardest hitter I've seen but he does bring it every play!! texanpride

Frankly, I hope he backs off on trying to make the big hit and just makes the tackle. He isn't big enough to keep absorbing those big hits and while they are great to watch, sooner or later he will be injured. He does us more good on the field than in the rehab room. I think he will wind up being one of the recognised top corners for many years if he can stay healthy.

8. Dunta Robinson, Texans Normally, we shy away from rookies, but this guy could be extraordinary. He has great ball skills and rarely is beaten. Plus, he doesn't shy away from making tackles. "He is the complete package," said one scout.

Well this should put to rest that Dunta belongs as one of the top ten DB in the league.

texanfan2002114 said:
8. Dunta Robinson, Texans Normally, we shy away from rookies, but this guy could be extraordinary. He has great ball skills and rarely is beaten. Plus, he doesn't shy away from making tackles. "He is the complete package," said one scout.

Well this should put to rest that Dunta belongs as one of the top ten DB in the league.

I was thinking the same thing! To hell with all of the "nay sayers" in the other post as to where DROB belongs. IMHO, that is a great assesment to his talent and to where he ranks after a "rookie" year and still adjusting to the NFL and to a new team. My hat is off to him for his skills and his impact as an elite player in our secondary. MUCH LOVE!

edo783 said:
Frankly, I hope he backs off on trying to make the big hit and just makes the tackle. He isn't big enough to keep absorbing those big hits and while they are great to watch, sooner or later he will be injured. He does us more good on the field than in the rehab room. I think he will wind up being one of the recognised top corners for many years if he can stay healthy.
Yea, I agree with that EDO. As much as I get a kick out of seeing him dish it
out, he worries me to because he's takin a lot of punishment from guys often quite a bit bigger than him. He just may not be big enough to keep on tickin if
he keeps tackling the way he does. Afterall, his biggest value to us is as a cover corner.

Why do we as a fan base bag on our team so much? It's hard to find a thread of Houston Texans fans not hammering one of our own.

Vinny said:
Why do we as a fan base bag on our team so much? It's hard to find a thread of Houston Texans fans not hammering one of our own.
I have found that it's like that everywhere with every team, until you win the Big One.

Vinny said:
I for one am still a little bitter from all the off-season planning we've done. As camp starts I'm sure a lot of this will wear off, but I'm too ready with the fork to stick something right now.

Big B Texan Fan said:
I have found that it's like that everywhere with every team, until you win the Big One.
I read them all since I treat running this place like a real job...I find we are one of the least optimistic message board fan bases of the teams on the rise. I'm ready for some football too Ses. :cool:

Vinny said:

Vinny, you know humans complain by nature! Always something they would have done different or some idea they would have used rather than trusting what the organization is doing. As to the poster who says he would like to see DROB tone it down a notch, I don't think he has those capabilities. He's a "balls to the wall" kinda player and I think that is the reason why he was on the list. His hitting skills are eventually going to make people hear his foot steps when they catch the ball and in turn cause mistakes. He makes up for his size with his contact skills. I say don't change a thing.... :ouch:

Vinny said:
I read them all since I treat running this place like a real job...I find we are one of the least optimistic message board fan bases of the teams on the rise. I'm ready for some football too Ses. :cool:
Really, that sux. They need to start winning so we can stop whinning.

Cjeremy635 said:
As to the poster who says he would like to see DROB tone it down a notch, I don't think he has those capabilities. He's a "balls to the wall" kinda player and I think that is the reason why he was on the list.

I didn't really mean he should "Tone it down" as far as effort or playmaking, but to go for the tackle rather than trying to make a big hit on a back that out weighs him by 20-40 pounds or more. Let the LBs make the big statement hits as they are big enough to absorb that sort of punishment game to game. If he keeps doing the big hit thing he WILL get hurt and I can GARANTEE there will be a thread started by someone saying "Why didn't our coaching staff train him to tackle" or some other such nonsense. I like the intensity and he can come up and make good solid tackles that will keep people from coming his way without have to challenge the big guys heads up.

edo783 said:
I didn't really mean he should "Tone it down" as far as effort or playmaking, but to go for the tackle rather than trying to make a big hit on a back that out weighs him by 20-40 pounds or more. Let the LBs make the big statement hits as they are big enough to absorb that sort of punishment game to game. If he keeps doing the big hit thing he WILL get hurt and I can GARANTEE there will be a thread started by someone saying "Why didn't our coaching staff train him to tackle" or some other such nonsense. I like the intensity and he can come up and make good solid tackles that will keep people from coming his way without have to challenge the big guys heads up.
all I can say to that is this...when you start playing to avoid the injury, you increase your risk of injury.

Off the message board bashing, I would like to say congrats to D-Rob and A.J. for getting noticed on a our team. This year is a good year for a linebacker and a certain hairy QB to get their asses in gear. I look forward to good things and much more pessimism when training camp starts.

vtech9 said:
all I can say to that is this...when you start playing to avoid the injury, you increase your risk of injury.

Again, I NEVER even suggested that he play to avoid injury. Rather that he should go for a tackle. Remember those, the basic fundumental? And stop trying to make the statement "Big hit". His job is to be ON the field, protect against the pass and stop the run. His job is NOT to be the intimidator of the defense. While I enjoy the big hit as well as anyone, all he has to do is his job and make the stop and be available from game to game. If not, he short changes his team, teammates and fans by doing that which puts him unessisarily at risk. What if his technique was to dive at the legs of the back with his head and every third game he could take the back out and no one EVER got around his end, but halfway through the season he suffers a neck injury and is out for the rest of the season. His replacement isn't as good and all of a sudden that side of the defense is a sieve and we start lossing games because of it. All this because of how he was doing his job, rather that just doing it with good tackling form.

olyy said:
The consensus of neutral observers is picking us for 3rd in the South which is dead on.

Those same neutral observers probably picked the Chargers to finish 4th in the AFC West. No one has any idea exactly what's going to shake out. The point being its all just banter back and forth until we're able to see something on the field.

olyy said:
I would call it being realistic. Some boards are loaded with a bunch of mindless homers who don't have a clue. The consensus of neutral observers is picking us for 3rd in the South which is dead on.

Funny, that would be the same neutral observers who picked us to be 4th in the south last season. If you weren't try to characterize your negative comments as neutral you would know the media pretty much leaves the standings in order for their predictions and you would know 3rd in the south could very well be 9-7 tied with Jags with them holding a tie breaker and Indy in the league. Hmmm, that looks pretty similar to what many of the 'mindless homers' have predicted for the season. Maybe the people who aren't thinking are the ones who are mindlessly negative.

olyy said:
It's more than banter when people put their money where their mouth is. Bodog has us with the longest odds in the South of winning the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=2005nflodds

They have an over/under of 6 wins for us. A 6-10 finish. Wouldn't that be peachy.

Could they be wrong? Of course. But at least they are willing to back up their talk with $$$$$. Is anyone on this board who is picking us to make the playoffs willing to back that up with $$$$? I didn't think so.

You don't understand bookmaking at all. An over/under of 6-10 isn't a prediction or actual results by an expert in the sport, it is setting the line at a point which tries to get equal risk on each bet so Bodog doesn't risk any of its own money and makes money off the transactions.

olyy said:
Bring it big boy. Let's hear your prediction on how many wins we will have in 2005. Go on record. You taking 9 wins? How much money are you willing to lose on that?

Trying reading and responding to the posts instead of silly and rather pathetic internet Peacock impressions.

I just looked at bodog.com, and those aren't the numbers listed.

Odds to win the Super Bowl
Colts 8/1
Jags 40/1
Texans 65/1
Titans 100/1

Odds to win the AFC
Colts 4/1
Jags 12/1
Texans 25/1
Titans 40/1

The teams over/under win totals aren't up yet on bodog.com. They are on at Carib sports:

Colts 11.5
Jags 8.5
Texans 7.5
Titans 6.5

Lucky said:
The teams over/under win totals aren't up yet on bodog.com. They are on at Carib sports:

Colts 11.5
Jags 8.5
Texans 7.5
Titans 6.5

Interesting--that would seem to mean more people are betting on improvement from the Texans since the line is higher than last year's win total than the Jags whose over/under is less than last year's win total.

infantrycak said:
Interesting--that would seem to mean more people are betting on improvement from the Texans since the line is higher than last year's win total than the Jags whose over/under is less than last year's win total.
Yeah, but it's still early. Most of the futures bets go down in August. Still, there are some interesting numbers right now.

Packers 8 wins - Based on the guards they lost?
Vikings 9 wins - I thought they'd be higher after the defensive improvements.
Chargers 8 wins - I guess people are betting they were a fluke.
Chiefs 9 wins - That surprises me.
Steelers 9.5 wins - Plax loss hurt that much?
Ravens 10 wins - Ravens favored over Steelers?

Don't know what this has to do with Dunta. I'll predict this: If the Texans finish with a winning record, Dunta's in the Pro Bowl.

Lucky said:
Don't know what this has to do with Dunta. I'll predict this: If the Texans finish with a winning record, Dunta's in the Pro Bowl.

Two keys to Dunta and the pro-bowl IMO. One an even or better record always helps. Two, Buchanon has to be a threat so teams at least try to throw on Dunta. When we played Oakland we certainly went after Woodson as well as Buchanon so hopefully teams won't try to just game plan Dunta out--I am sure the Colts will throw everywhere.

bigtex77 said:
Speaking of the Colts, how do you think we'll match up w/them this year with D Rob, Buchanon and Petey Faggins?

Assuming Buchanon will be re-energized and play closer to his potential those match-ups should be good, but the basic problem is until you upset Manning you could throw Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey and Ty Law out there in their primes and it won't be enough. The flip side though is IMO Manning rapidly deteriorates when pressured. Last year the Texans got 2 of his 10 INT's on the year and 3 of his 13 sacks (should have been 5 of 15 sacks with one or two fumbles as well). Look at his behavior in the 2nd Texans game last year--he was whining and crying, appealing to the refs (and getting bad calls). How much did losing one of the starting OG's affect them? If the front seven comes together the secondary will be fine. If not, as good as they are they will get picked apart again.

bigtex77 said:
Pressure is the key, thats why I am pumped about Peek, Babin and eventually TJ.
Don't forget Greenwood, he play ILB but he'll be stunt blitzing alot.
Sorry off topic but those LB's will help the int and deflection total for D-Rob when we play those colts.

Big B Texan Fan said:
Don't forget Greenwood, he play ILB but he'll be stunt blitzing alot.
Sorry off topic but those LB's will help the int and deflection total for D-Rob when we play those colts.

Good point. I didn't forget, I was mainly thinking of the pass rush coming from the outside backers and ends.

Back