Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rob Rang's latest Mock

I actually kinda like that outcome. I know a lot of people dont think that we should draft Barron, but I think if he falls to us and DJ, Rolle, and Pac-Man are gone(which they will be) then Barron is probably the BPA, the only thing I think is that we will probably have a WR in one of the 1st 3 rounds.

I don't like the Barron or Jacobs picks, but I'd be thrilled if we got Thurman and Darrent Williams...There is just no way that Barron would be the BPA if we stayed at 13, IMO he's around the 20th best player in the draft, but I know Cass could have him rated higher or lower...If I'm not mistaken, didn't he say there was no OT worth a first round pick?

any mock that doesn't include trades from this point on is pure bunk. do a draft board thats fine, have teams drafting for need thats fine or taking the BPA for Gods sake use a little creative thinking and simulate using good common sense. to prove my point look back to last year, with the flip of #1/#4 & flop of #6/#7. I'll go on record right now and say we see at least two or more trades in the top 10 alone. then there where 8 count them 8 more trades after the the top 10 picks.

I don't even care sometimes if in fact these trades really come to fruition or a team actually gets their man, since more than one team may want that same man. However at least throw it out there, absorb the role of a GM and do what it takes to make it work don't just assume anything. :taz:

I don't know why make-believe trades add value to any mock. Most mocks are worthless anyway.

D-ReK said:
I don't like the Barron or Jacobs picks, but I'd be thrilled if we got Thurman and Darrent Williams...There is just no way that Barron would be the BPA if we stayed at 13, IMO he's around the 20th best player in the draft, but I know Cass could have him rated higher or lower...If I'm not mistaken, didn't he say there was no OT worth a first round pick?

I agree with you on the belief of 1st round OL. Well the 1st round pick depending wheither we pull a Buffalo or not and select a running back or we take OLB or a WR. If we get thurman we are getting a mean LB that likes to hit people and wil have to pull back in practice. D. Williams can be a very good CB.

I don't know really know that much on Alex Barron but for some reason i'm not sold on the idea of drafting him. I would be really really surprised if CC picks him on the first day. I would like have an anxiety attack or something cuz i find it hard to believe we will draft him with our #13 pick. I really want to trade up for DJ but I dont want to give away too many picks just to trade up. I hope we get someone good and that is a playmaker and can contribute right away. If we get DJ then whats gonna happen with Greenwood and Wong. Will Peek just come out on 3rd down how would our 1st string Linebacking corp be like? Any ideas?

Vinny said:
I don't know why make-believe trades add value to any mock. Most mocks are worthless anyway.

make-believe trades, make believe Mocks both go hand in hand thats why? best way to summarize this fact is why are you reading this now? why are we reading any of this? because we have passion and love for the Texans and NFL football, not to mention its lifeblood College Football. If you missed the point that trades play a significant role on draft day, well your just not paying attention. because the draft is flat, not down, there will be more transactions than anything before in the history of professional sports. to not include trades as part of the system in progress as a work of art is but a sterile, non application of the rules of supply & demand.

Movin’ on up… For many months it didn’t look like there would be much intrigue at the very top of the board come the first round of the 2005 draft on April 23rd. There were plenty of teams willing to move down, starting with San Francisco with the #1 pick overall, however, it just didn’t look like there were any players other teams would be all that interested in moving up to acquire. That changed, though, as WRs Edwards and Southern California’s Mike Williams moved up draft boards around the league. Now teams like Tampa Bay, with the 5th pick overall, Minnesota selecting 7th, and even San Diego with the 12th pick, which figured they could very well get a shot at one of the two sitting right where they were, likely will have to move into the top 3-4 positions to get one which could set off a bit of a bidding war.

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

Based on various reports, the 2005 NFL draft has highly rated talent and depth at running back, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker and cornerback. As stated last week, Lions President and CEO Matt Millen said his club will entertain all drafting options this year.

"I wouldn't mind moving up, and I wouldn't mind moving back," Millen said. "If the guy's right there, I am all for it. I have a pretty good idea of what we would like to strengthen and what holes we would like to plug. I like the position we are in right now, sitting at 10; and I like the people who could be available for us. I can name 15 guys who could help us right now."

I feel this is a fairly universal theme amongst NFL GM's which is why projecting trades based upon need, draft board rankings & depth at specific positions is a integral part of the process, to be left out simply is unrealistic.

If we do get this guy with the 13th pick, will he be like a Orlando Pace type player or will he be more like a mike williams type. Basically does he have the talent to be a special player, or is he just headed for mediocrity, don' know if I spelled that right.

He doesn't grade out remotely close to Pace. He had trouble dominating College linemen in the run game so I'm sure he will need a couple of years and a lot of strength training to adjust to the pro game.

fball said:
If we do get this guy with the 13th pick, will he be like a Orlando Pace type player or will he be more like a mike williams type. Basically does he have the talent to be a special player, or is he just headed for mediocrity, don' know if I spelled that right.

Like Vinny said, he is no Orlando Pace. Just think of it this way. There are 3 tier's of OT's in the draft.

Tier 1. Can immediately hold their own against the best DE's in the game. And can dominate the lesser ones.

Tier 2. Cant immediately hold their own against lesser DE's, but have trouble against top tier DE's.

Tier 3. Would immediately get dominated by top teir DE's, and have a tough time against lesser ones.

Pace, is tier 1. Along with players like Boselli, and Jones.

Barron is tier 2. He wont stop everything.

IMHO

well that being said would ya'll be comfortable drafting him with the 13th pick, because to me that doesn't sound to promising, but didn't casserly say that he liked him?

CC says alot. He's also said that the Texans were likely to move out of the 13 spot, and that could mean moving up or down. I never really have the faintest clue what Cass is looking to do until after he does it. CC is a clever guy, and I don't think he'd tip his hand to the 31 other NFL teams as to what he's looking to do in April.

texasguy346 said:
CC says alot. He's also said that the Texans were likely to move out of the 13 spot, and that could mean moving up or down. I never really have the faintest clue what Cass is looking to do until after he does it. CC is a clever guy, and I don't think he'd tip his hand to the 31 other NFL teams as to what he's looking to do in April.

Its starting to look like this is way we will go. I am starting to see Demarcus Ware start to rise up the board. Maybe we drop down a couple of picks and take him. We can get our OLB in the 1st round if we trade down we will get another 2nd or 3rd round pick. Then we can get our WR in the 2nd. and we would have 3-4 3rd rounders. Where we can fill the rest of our needs. We can get a CB that can be Glenn replacement, we can get some depth at DE, OL. THen we can use our 4th rounder for a RB or S

Back