Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

rmartin65's 2017 Texans Mock Draft Version 1

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Due to my job I have not watched a bunch of NCAAAF this year (unfortunately, that seems to be the recent trend. I think, at this point, I am no more than just a casual draft follower), so a lot of the rankings is based on what I get from cbs. So, take this one with a grain of salt.

Round 1: Indiana OG Dan Feeney, 6’4” 304 lbs

Simply put, Feeney is the best interior lineman in the draft. He has the mobility and intelligence, as well as enough strength to get the job done. A concussion suffered early in the season warrants some looking into.

Round 2: Troy OT Antonio Garcia, 6’6” 293 lbs

Double-dipping on the offensive line, I really, really like what I have seen and read about Garcia. Smart kid with a nice, projectable frame. I think he can step in right away at RT, but his future is definitely at LT.

Round 3: Texas A&M S Justin Evans, 6’ 193 lbs

I have no idea why this guy is projected to go this low; he is a baller. The total package at safety. And, he can pop his hip/leg back into place, which is pretty darn cool.

Round 4: San Diego State CB Damontae Kazee, 5’10” 184 lbs

A difference maker in the secondary who seems to constantly be forcing turnovers. Due to his size he might not be more than a slot guy, but that’s ok in today’s NFL.

Round 5: Arkansas DE Jeremiah Ledbetter, 6’3” 280 lbs

Really athletic kid who really improved as the year went on. He should be a solid addition to the DE rotation. Not a world-beater, but serviceable.

Round 6: Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly, 6’2” 224 lbs

For my money, Kelly has the best arm talent in the draft. None of the higher ranked guys intrigue me (although Evans might, after some more research), so I am swinging for the fences late. If he works out, fantastic. If he is just too much of a nutjob, all we spent was a 6th, and the Texans can try again next year.

Round 7: Marshall WR Michael Clark, 6’6” 212 lbs

I made a post about Clark earlier, and I have to say, I think this kid has real potential. First off- he is raw, and had some problems tracking the ball early in the season. But the former basketball player uses his height to high-point the ball, and boxes out DBs. He looks to catch with his hands, and not with his body. He also seems to have some pretty good hips, as his cuts look pretty decent for a tall guy. And while he is not a sudden, quick-twitch athlete, he can build up some nice speed after a slower start. All in all, an intriguing package worth spending a 7th on.

I can agree with all the picks except Kelly (Too big of a "head case!"). Go with Evans but you may have to draft him higher! I'm concerned where he'll be projected after the Combine.

I can agree with all the picks except Kelly (Too big of a "head case!"). Go with Evans but you may have to draft him higher! I'm concerned where he'll be projected after the Combine.

I like Evans, but, like you said, I would have to draft him higher. He'll probably go in the 4th, at the latest, IMO.

I really like the top half.

RBs must suck in this class.

What is wrong with the bottom half, if I may ask?

As for the RBs- There are plenty of RBs I like, but I think we have other issues. The Texans have a lot of backs on the roster, although I certainly wouldn't be upset if the FO takes one.

ESPN's McShay was on just the other day going through his 2.0 mock. He said that there aren't a lot of studs at RB in this class but there is plenty of good value at RB in rds 3-5.
NFL Draft Scout - RBs
CBS Sports (draft inc?) - RBs

I disagree with McShay. (Shocking)

When you can get a Kareem Hunt/Jamal Williams/Hood/Folston/McGuire in rds 4-7 it's a pretty good RB class. I like them better than any of the current Texans RB's not named Miller.

What is wrong with the bottom half, if I may ask?

Nothing at all. I don't follow college football so at this point in the process I'm looking more at position than anything else. I think the top half is usually where you'll get your immediate impact & I think the positions you addressed making an immediate impact are exactly the positions we need addressed.

Especially safety. I think yours is the only mock addressing the position early.

As for the RBs- There are plenty of RBs I like, but I think we have other issues. The Texans have a lot of backs on the roster, although I certainly wouldn't be upset if the FO takes one.

I like Miller, I like Hunt. We need a bruiser, a goal line short yardage bruiser.

Nothing at all. I don't follow college football so at this point in the process I'm looking more at position than anything else. I think the top half is usually where you'll get your immediate impact & I think the positions you addressed making an immediate impact are exactly the positions we need addressed.

Especially safety. I think yours is the only mock addressing the position early.

I like Miller, I like Hunt. We need a bruiser, a goal line short yardage bruiser.

Safety in second doesn't count?

I disagree with McShay. (Shocking)

When you can get a Kareem Hunt/Jamal Williams/Hood/Folston/McGuire in rds 4-7 it's a pretty good RB class. I like them better than any of the current Texans RB's not named Miller.
How is that different than saying there's plenty of good value in rds 3-5? I mean other than you said 4-7 and he said 3-5. Both of you are saying you can get a pretty good RB using day 3 picks. We all know most picks in rds 6 and 7 are "fliers" anyway. If the work out, Excellent! If they don't, no big whoop.

Reactions: JB
Taking OG before OT is interesting twist. Of course I wanted Ryan Kelly, Center in first 2016 draft so maybe we're thinking along the same line.... there are about four OG's would love to see Texans select & Feeney is high on that list.
Watched some tape of Garcia and came away really impressed. Good athletic movement skills, sound fundamentals, has passion for the game & strong punch. Looks like franchise OT. Excellent.

Interesting if you could compare Evans with Swearinger coming out? Obviously Evans has the better pro size & length.

Damontae Kazee could be another Bouye? Like film I've watched on him, physical, with good recognition & ball skills. I would use a mid round pick on CB every year if could find a guy this good here. Actually think I like him more than Evans, plus if Bouye is not resigned do Texans remain status quo with current secondary?

Jeremiah Ledbetter looks like good addition to improve depth & rotation.

Kelly would be an excellent developmental QB. Question is, do Texans make another move at the top? Otherwise fine with bringing another arm into camp.

6'6" WR in the 7th? sign me up. thoughts on whether Strong time has come and gone?

overall I think you have identified two real sleepers, Garcia who has LT ability & Kazee a press corner (may work his way inside & out). I'd be real nervous to see if Garcia lasts until the Texans second round or Kazee to fourth but if they did, I'm sure those two players would stick, add to that Feeney battle to be starting RG a good haul indeed.

Taking OG before OT is interesting twist. Of course I wanted Ryan Kelly, Center in first 2016 draft so maybe we're thinking along the same line.... there are about four OG's would love to see Texans select & Feeney is high on that list.
Watched some tape of Garcia and came away really impressed. Good athletic movement skills, sound fundamentals, has passion for the game & strong punch. Looks like franchise OT. Excellent.

Glad you like both players. Rebuilding the OL should be the first priority, and I am not sold on Martin.

Interesting if you could compare Evans with Swearinger coming out? Obviously Evans has the better pro size & length.

I think Evans has more coverage ability than Swearinger, but he certainly doesn't bring the lumber like Swearinger did. Evans is also a more reliable tackler.

Damontae Kazee could be another Bouye? Like film I've watched on him, physical, with good recognition & ball skills. I would use a mid round pick on CB every year if could find a guy this good here. Actually think I like him more than Evans, plus if Bouye is not resigned do Texans remain status quo with current secondary?

If the rumors are true about Bouye's contract demands... we are going to need another CB. I think his size will limit him though, and that is why he goes later than Evans.

Kelly would be an excellent developmental QB. Question is, do Texans make another move at the top? Otherwise fine with bringing another arm into camp.

I dont think there is a QB worth moving up for in this draft, unless there is a pretty sweet discount. I understand Kelly is a headcase, but maybe he turns it around. And if not, its just a 6th.

6'6" WR in the 7th? sign me up. thoughts on whether Strong time has come and gone?

I still like Strong; I don't know what BOB's deal with Strong is, but the kid is a real NFLer. Hopkins/Fuller/Strong/Miller/Clark would be my 5. We have a speed guy (Fuller), a quicks guy (Miller), an all-around guy (Hopkins), possession guys (Hopkins/Strong), and some height (Strong/Clark). It's a pretty nice combination of skills.

overall I think you have identified two real sleepers, Garcia who has LT ability & Kazee a press corner (may work his way inside & out). I'd be real nervous to see if Garcia lasts until the Texans second round or Kazee to fourth but if they did, I'm sure those two players would stick, add to that Feeney battle to be starting RG a good haul indeed.

If the draft goes down like this, I think we have 2 day one starters (Feeney/Garcia), a guy who probably wins a starting job by the end of the year (Evans), 2 rotation guys (the CB and the DE), a QB prospect and a red zone WR. All in all, a pretty good haul.

Glad you like both players. Rebuilding the OL should be the first priority, and I am not sold on Martin.

I think Evans has more coverage ability than Swearinger, but he certainly doesn't bring the lumber like Swearinger did. Evans is also a more reliable tackler.

If the rumors are true about Bouye's contract demands... we are going to need another CB. I think his size will limit him though, and that is why he goes later than Evans.

I dont think there is a QB worth moving up for in this draft, unless there is a pretty sweet discount. I understand Kelly is a headcase, but maybe he turns it around. And if not, its just a 6th.

I still like Strong; I don't know what BOB's deal with Strong is, but the kid is a real NFLer. Hopkins/Fuller/Strong/Miller/Clark would be my 5. We have a speed guy (Fuller), a quicks guy (Miller), an all-around guy (Hopkins), possession guys (Hopkins/Strong), and some height (Strong/Clark). It's a pretty nice combination of skills.

If the draft goes down like this, I think we have 2 day one starters (Feeney/Garcia), a guy who probably wins a starting job by the end of the year (Evans), 2 rotation guys (the CB and the DE), a QB prospect and a red zone WR. All in all, a pretty good haul.

Not sold on Martin??? Hasnt even played an NFL snap

Rb's have good value and having a good compliment to Miller will go along way. Should be some decent guys in the 5th or later. Love Kazee, think he will be a steal especially there.

While I agree with RM about needing a short yardage bruiser, Williams and Hood are really good in short yardage. They have the vision/feel for short yardage. Emmitt Smith/Terrell Davis. certainly weren't bruisers but they had the feel for it. Same with LeSean McCoy/Freeman/Coleman today.

Back