RJ's Column... You're Kidding Me!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Please don't advise me not to read it. It's too late! I don't rubberneck on highways but the dark corners of my human nature do tend to surface when I see his columns. This one makes his slanderous rants against Rick Smith seem measured, thoughtful, and meritous. I think the funniest part is his argument that Jerry Jones and Drayton McLane would have drafted Young, therefore it is clearly the only logical thing to do.

Here you go:

Yes, the Texans should have taken Vince Young
    Looking back on it now, it's easy to say that Vince Young wasn't the best player of the 2006 NFL draft and that the Texans got it right in selecting Mario Williams.

There's just one problem with this kind of thinking. It's completely wrong. It defies logic.

Let me tell you a little secret. If Leslie Alexander or Drayton McLane had owned the Texans that spring, they would have ordered their people to draft Vince Young.

They would have met with their business people and their football people, and they would have explored every possibility. They would have told the football people the kind of impact Vince would have on the franchise.

Neither Alexander nor McLane has ever told me he would have ordered his people to take Vince Young, but they've left little doubt that's what they would have done.

Leading up to that draft, both men asked me why the Texans weren't going to take Vince.

I asked them both, ''What would you do?'' Funny thing is, both men reacted the same way. Both smiled and said something like, ''What do you think?''

There's no question in my mind they would have taken Vince Young because of the overall impact he would have had on the franchise. In fact, I think both guys thought the Texans were nuts for passing on him.

And the Titans are headed one way, the Texans another. Kubiak has gotten it right. Matt Schaub is light years better than either Vince Young or David Carr, and the Texans are getting steadily better. Everything that can be measured tells you the Texans made the right call. They didn't. They just got lucky that a bad decision turned out right

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/10/yes_the_texans.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
  2. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

He really is out of ideas isn't he?

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I guess it boils down to would you rather be popular or would you rather WIN.

Its pretty obvious to me that Bob McNair wants to WIN and that putting people in the seats and money in his pocket comes secondary to WINNING.

Cant say the same for very many owners in professional sports. Jerry Jones and Uncle Drayton are prime examples.

As for Justice .... Maybe he needs to get his own version of Boobies McClain errr I mean Anna Megan to help him keep his readers attention.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans are on the threshold of their best 1st half of season in franchise history, and The Chronic puts out this drivel?

No wonder newspapers are dying.

5. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

I remember the times when I would be waiting for the newspaper delivery guy to throw the paper before the crack of dawn. I couldn't wait to see what it said.

Now, the only time I read that crap is when you people bring it here. My bookmarks don't even know there is still a Houston Chronicle.

6. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Personally I think Jerry Jones is the worst thing in the world for the NFL.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

The very first response to this "article" (and I use the term very loosely) got it exactly right...
    'Nuff Said!

8. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I wonder if he even put any thought as to where the Texans would be right now if we had taken VY? IMO probably where VY and the Tacks are right now.

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Free speech has it's downfalls. It allows people to make ASSES out of themselves.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

RJ's column is where ass meets hat.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Lower levels of the gene pool are attrative to lower levels of the gene pool: :tiphat:The Chronicle/RJ, Bud/Vince, JJ/criminals, etc.

12. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Keep in mind it's his blog. He's stirring the pot and driving up the hit count on his blog by stating these types of opinions. He's goading us all to reading his piece and commenting that he's a jackass all for the traffic to his page.

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Don't read it.

:D

14. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

You mean to tell me that RJ still works at Chronicle?

Someone needs to start another newspaper company in Houston.

Since so many newspaper company in Tokyo, you have to write good to survive. Houston needs competition.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

RJ should be fined for excessive outhouse gas emissions.

Who cares if he drives up his blog count? If he has to make weird blog entries to get traffic, then it will someday be his undoing. Another 5 years of making sloppy entries will lead him to be viewed (in all circles, not just in fans' eyes) as a sensationalist journo with no real credibility.

The fans see it. The rest of the sports media world will fall into line over time.

The universe can only withstand so much lunacy before it is forced to take action.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Hey Ricky, brain dead journalist extraordinaire - what would you do if you were making the pick and what would you do if you were owner and your coach and GM wanted someone different are two totally different questions.

Exhibit A for the above difference. Sounds like McNair if he had made the pick would have made the popular pick but he deferred to the experts as most owners would. This quote also disproves Ricky's luck assertion. Kubiak & Co. were resolute in their belief even in the face of pressure from the owner and popular opinion both. That is called good judgment, not luck.

17. False Start

False Start On # 69

RJ is a poon. The guy just loves to say controversial things to drive up his hit count on his "blogs." I just don't give him the time of day, by not reading his drivel. If I ever saw him in public, I would tell him he sucks. :aggressive:

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

I always avoid his articles. I dont want to make it look like even 1 more person is reading his crap.

19. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

RJ uses a lot of sarcasm and I was looking for it,but I just couldn't find it. There are a lot better ways of goading people into reading your article than making yourself look like a complete football *****.

LOL.. That reminded me of a sign I had that said "Private Sign-Do Not Read"

20. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Don't notice the Titans at 0-6 with VY not even playing. THAT defies logic.

Yeah, of course Drayton would take a name to put butts in seats, that's why the Astros "contend" for 2nd to last place now. Of course Les would take VY, VY is probably better at basketball than football anyway.

If I had a million billion dollars and wanted to start a Rocket Science company I'ma go hire the best rocket scientists available, not the prom king.

False Start likes this.