Rise and Fall of Combine

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by dbspi, Feb 25, 2007.

1. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

Some of the Combine is done. I am very curious to know as to who some of those guys are who have rised from their personnel work out and who are some of the people who have fallen from their predraft evaluations at the NFL Combine.

Here is my short list for so far:

Moving UP: Antonio Pittman, Chris Henry, Kalil, Darius Walker, Deshan Wynn, Alonzo Coleman, Jason Hill, Greg Olsen, Robert Meachem, Naanee, Laurent Robinson, Steve Smith, Brian Leonard, James Marten, Robert Meachem, Chris Henry, Yamon Figurs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Kasey Studdard, Brian Leonard, Drew Stanton as the #3 QB, Greg Olsen, Ben Patrick, Michael Allan, Chris Leak, Johnathon Holland, Cameron Stephenson, Kevin Kolb - I think did decent enough to warrant a move up to contend with Smith for #4 QB.

Moving DOWN: Troy Smith, Levi Brown, Zach Miller, Dwayne Jarrett, Gary Russell, Jon Cornish

Standing Still: Sidney Rice

2. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

You know, the funny thing is...Sidney Rice is the WR here that nobody's making too much noise about, but the one who is going to surprise an NFL team, whichever one takes him. A lot of people talk about WR's who don't have speed not being able to break away from a defender that well.. I laugh at that. speed helps, of course, but it's also about body control. Dwayne Jarrett doesn't have the best wheels, but he has excellent body control...which is why you see him making great catch after great catch.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I know Levi Brown ran a slow 40 yd dash. But how did he do in the other drills? The other drills should be more important than the 40 for a Lineman.

If Levi stock drops...esp on the texans board. then it looks like its gonna be D-line pick again at 8.

4. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

]

Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to think the Texans are VERY interested in Ryan Harris out of ND. If he's there, possibly in the 3rd and we take him, the Levi Brown pick wouldn't make much sense.

I was never crazy about taking an OL in the first round anyway. I never am.

5. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

Meachem is another guy who really impressed me at the combine. He is a freak - 6'3 210 with 4.36 speed AND the ability to make defenders miss and pick up yards after the catch. He needs some refinement, but his natural ability makes his ceiling incredibly high.

6. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

I think #8 is too high for Levi Brown. He would have been better fit at 14 - 18 range. Other thing is I am not sure how well he will perform at LT position. To me he is RT.

7. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

I also don't think the Texans are taking Peterson at #8, even if he falls there. Word on the street is that Ramonce Taylor is 'high' on our list at RB. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans talk McNair out of his 'high character player' mentality just for this guy.

1- LaRon Landry
    2- Robert Meachem or Ryan Harris
    3- Ryan Harris or Samson Satele
    4- Ramonce Taylor
    4- Desmond Bishop
    5- David Ball, if Meachem isn't available in RD 2; if we get Meachem, then go with Michael Coe
    6- still thinking
    7- Oscar Lua

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

interesting. you're making a good case for whoever falls to us. We might be seeing Gaines Adams or Alan Branch in a texans uni.

i think Anderson will go before us, and 8 might be too high for okoye?

9. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Okoye is moving up.

10. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

Okoye will be an unrestricted Free Agent when he's 24!!! He's going to be a phenom. Outstanding work ethic and a good head on his shoulders. He went from 287 to something like 302 in a couple months without losing a step.

11. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

That's what everyone said about McNeil last year as he fell to the second round and into the Pro-Bowl. Even YTF missed on McNeil being a legit LT. I have vowed to consider "RT ONLY" guys in all aspects now.

Plus, next year when the best O-linemen in a LONG time enters the draft, he will probally have that same lable of "RT ONLY" because of his imposing stature, but by God help all those poor GM's who will be crying as he dominates on the left side. Gaither will rise soon enough. That is my predicition, and I have been saying it since before last season even started. The man-child will dominate.

12. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Agreed for me a 40 yard dash for a OL doesn't mean jack to me. I'm more interested in shuffle and reps. Still has the pro day at Penn State to fall back on. I still hope we take him at the 8 spot. I hope we don't go Dlineman early unless it's Okoye Or Gaines Adams. If there is a a player i am interested in from ND it's either Darius Walker or that Dlineman ... his name escapes me atm but when i watched their games he was so quick off the snap. Impressed me.

Navy_Chris. Please name a pro bowl LT who wasn't drafted in the first round. our OLINE has such glaring needs. Honestly....if we don't go Oline in one of the first two picks unless we acquire some decent help in FA... i will be pretty upset. All i am going to say is look at the Jet's last year and look at the Redskins last year. Jet's go unconventional and get two linemen in the first round go to the playoffs. Redskins as usual go haywire in FA, draft pretty picks...and miss the playoffs. Which one do you want?

13. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

think back to this:
    1982:
    1st round, 8th pick- Mike Munchak, OG (Penn State)
    1983:
    1st round, 9th pick- Bruce Matthews, OG (Southern Cal)
    1984:
    1st round, 2nd pick- Dean Steinkuhler, OT (Nebraska)

The talent can be found in later rounds, but ask that freaking sellout Warren Moon if he would have had a chance at the Hall of Fame (and subsequent honoring in the town where toiled for 10 years--Nashville:mad:) if drafting offensive lineman is a good idea in the first round.

Please_Evolve likes this.
  14. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

haha. you're exactly right. OL can be found at all rounds of the draft. mid-round OL tend to have better technique than top OL do, anyway. that's just my observation.

15. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Are you observing from the nosebleed seats then or possibily outside the stadium? Top Tier OL are top tier for a reason.

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Trust me, if Peterson is available at 8, we will take about one second to make the pick. If we are going to draft Ramonce Taylor (I don't even know if we will have to use a draft pick to get him), then it will be for special teams purposes, not as our feature back.

17. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

Top tier lineman are just that because some old sportswriter or media member 'picks' them out of all the others. Samson Satele showed the best technique of any lineman i've seen at the combine. Just one example.

18. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

Am I reaching for Ramonce at 4? I haven't even had a chance to look at where he's projected to go.

19. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

A running back who hasn't played in a year, has major character issues, and is not as fast as touted does not go in the fourth unless Shanahan is trying to prove his arrogance again like he did with Clarrett.

Ramonce will be lucky to be drafted let alone in the fourth round.

20. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

Still haven't named a pro bowl LT that wasn't picked in the first round. I'm sure guys like Thomas, Levi Brown, Kalil & Blaylock are first rounders cause psht some sports guy writer has them there.

You seem to have that Charlie Casserly Vibe..the kind of vibe like... i can outscout you and know stuff you don't...then go out and make horrid draft picks that don't pan out. *cringes*