Ricky Williams wants back in....

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by hobie, Oct 1, 2007.

1. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

MIAMI -- Suspended running back Ricky Williams applied for NFL reinstatement Monday, his agent said.

"Ricky is extremely excited about the prospect of playing in the NFL again and hopeful for a positive response," his agent Leigh Steinberg said.

He hasn't taken the wear and tear on his body in the last couple years. He's a physical specimen and he's got the potential to be among the league leaders in rushing.
    Leigh Steinberg

Williams has played in only 12 NFL games since the start of the 2004 season, but rushed for 3,225 yards in 2002-03. His current suspension began in April 2006 after he violated the league's drug policy for the fourth time. He tested positive for marijuana this April, again delaying his return.

Williams remains under contract with Miami, where he won the NFL rushing title in 2002. But new coach Cam Cameron has not indicated whether he wants Williams to stay with the Dolphins, who fell to 0-4 Sunday.

"That's ultimately their decision," Steinberg said. "We've had no contact with them."

The NFL declined comment, saying it had not received official notification yet from Williams.

Under the league's substance abuse program, when a player applies for reinstatement the doctors have up to 45 days to submit their report and recommendation to the commissioner. He then has up to 15 days to make a decision. That means the process could take up to 60 days from the day Williams applies to be reinstated.

Williams spent an extended vacation in Australia and India during a yearlong retirement in 2004. He played in the Canadian Football League in 2006.

Steinberg said Williams was in "great shape" and "great spirits." He said Williams has been working with a personal trainer and continues to teach yoga.

"He hasn't taken the wear and tear on his body in the last couple years," Steinberg said. "He's a physical specimen and he's got the potential to be among the league leaders in rushing. Aside from one unfortunate season, he's never missed a day of training camp."

Williams' attorney did not immediately return phone messages Monday

Shoot, for what it's worth, with a lack of running game the Texans have, why not entertain the thought....won't take much to get him I bet, and his legs are fresh, and for a bonus, instead of $$ for incentives, dime bags...

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

How far has Leigh Steinberg fallen, when his highest profile client is Ricky Williams? From "Show me the money!" to "Show me the ganja!". Sad.

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think most of the posters in here would be against the idea but (and I have to admit that I can't believe I'm saying this) I'd try and pry him free for a late round pick. Like for instance a 6 that could turn into a 5 if he meets yardage or games started goals (or that could turn into a 7 or nothing if he fails another drug test).

I think that if Ricky Williams is ever going to play NFL football again then he's going to do it this time or be done forever. It's really his last shot and I think it's worth the risk. I don't think the Texans would ever consider it and I think that's kind of a shame. The Texans are an organization that's "high character" and I'm all for that so don't get me wrong. Bob McNair is your basic Jesus loving, church going owner who lives his life by the good book so he has his team steer clear of all the bad guys who did bad things and I get that too. What I don't get is why everybody who has screwed up gets all lumped together into the "bad guys" pile by this team. What about forgiveness? What about sitting down and talking with the man and seeing if you believe him when he says he's ready to do things the right way? Sure, maybe you don't believe him and you say "Thanks but No Thanks" and I'd be fine with that.

What I'm not fine with is the idea that we have Ahman Green who is looking like the "Can't stay healthy" tags were justified, Ron Dayne who takes a long time to get going, and Samkon "I'm a little Rusty" Gado as our Running backs while Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, and Stephen Davis are sitting at home waiting for a phone call. How much do any of you wanna bet that all three of these guys can still play and would be an upgrade over somebody in our backfield?

Granted Ricky is a Dolphin and may not even get reinstated but if he does and we don't at least ask for the opportunity to talk to him then we're not a very smart football team IMO.

That's all I got to say about that.

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I would not mention Ricky in the same breath as bad guys Pac-man or Vick. I don't think Ricky is a bad guy at all, he just has some demons that he can't seem to exorcise. That's the biggest shame of it all.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

someone take him please.

6. Texan_Bill

LMAO... I never said I wanted him, I just said that he's not a bad person.

7. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

I'd take him and the 20 bags of weed that come with him............a high Ricky Williams > Ron Dayne.

8. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

I think that any of the aforementioned backs (Dillon, Davis, or Williams) would be better than most of our current stable. After watching Gado drop rust all over Reliant and then watching "Hunger Pain" Dayne lay an egg in ATL I'm all about signing someone else.

Sign Williams and hire Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson to be his minder.... it worked in Atlanta, why couldn't it work here?

9. Texan_Bill

Will the NFL let you wear a jersey with 3 digits on it??

Introducing, # 420 from the University of Texas, Ricky Williams

10. real

real Guest

Wow bill...

You're more hip than I thought you were...

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I guess I'm not. What does #420 mean?

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I'd at least let him workout for the team to see what he's got left. He may have some issues, but it's not like he's a murderer or a bad guy. He had a drug problem and then went to rehab to fix it. If he looks good then sign him to an incentive based contract and put him on a zero tolerance program.

13. real

real Guest

http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/marijuana/a/420meaning.htm

April 20th is national pot smoking day.

14. Texan_Bill

Thank ya sir...

15. Texan_Bill

Read up a little. I know its wiki, but you'll figure it out...

LINK:
    Cannibus Culture

16. Texan_Bill

17. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

I would not hesitate on snatching Ricky up under the right circumstances. He still has alot of tread on his tires and I guarantee that noone will be clammering to sign him for more than the league minimum (does he qualify for vet minimum?). Is he still under contract with the Dolphins, if so how long? Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder if he is...

My $0.02

18. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

How desperately thin are we at RB if we're sitting around mulling the positives of signing Ricky Williams?

Wow... just wow.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yeah, about that thin. Nobody that I know really questions that Ricky Williams could haul the rock in the NFL. He's a known quantity in terms of what he was. What he is today I can see some debate over. He's gone a long time without any "NFL level" contact. He's been hurt. Does somebody signing Ricky Williams today get the back who racked up all those yards between 1999 and 2003? Do they get a guy whose one bad day away from lighting up and walking away?

I'd talk to him. That's the only way anyone is going to find out. It doesn't hurt to talk to the guy.

20. real

real Guest

He is a Texas boy.