Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rick Smith Open to Trading Up...

He also said he was open to trading back. We could probably watch last year's pre-draft PC and come away with the same info

I heard a little bit of this earlier. The one interesting comment that Rick Smith made during this press conference was in response to a question about the priority of drafting someone who could return kicks. Smith said that it was not a priority, as the Texans already have an excellent kick returner on the team - Trindon Holliday.

That was a bit of a surprise, as Holliday did not really impress during preseason last year before he was injured. However, it appears that the team has high hopes for him.

I heard a little bit of this earlier. The one interesting comment that Rick Smith made during this press conference was in response to a question about the priority of drafting someone who could return kicks. Smith said that it was not a priority, as the Texans already have an excellent kick returner on the team - Trindon Holliday.

That was a bit of a surprise, as Holliday did not really impress during preseason last year before he was injured. However, it appears that the team has high hopes for him.

:rolleyes: If it doesn't work, try and try again. LOL that's how this entire organization operates.

He also said he was open to trading back. We could probably watch last year's pre-draft PC and come away with the same info

Agreed, we could probably watch the press conference from 4 yrs. ago and get the same info. Of course their open to trading up, down, sideways, etc... There's no news here.

I'm encouraged to hear that they have made some changes to their approach this season. That's good.

I'm also encouraged that he brought up the 2009 draft, specifically, as an example of how not drafting for need worked out well for the team: Arian Foster was an UDFA. I say this because, with FA occurring after the draft, I have been terrified that the Texans will attempt to solve their secondary and LB problems through the draft and reach for those need positions instead of drafting for value. In turn, afterwards, they will see less need to add talent in FA because of all the resources they just spent at those positions.

Frankly, I would be ecstatic if the Texans didn't draft a single DB in the draft, though I know many on these boards would be ripping them for it. To me, it would signal that they are determined to fill those holes through a very rich free agent market.

Well I remember in training camp he looked really good. I know it was only practice but his speed was undeniable. I think Holliday has the best shot to become the number 1 kr.

Well I remember in training camp he looked really good. I know it was only practice but his speed was undeniable. I think Holliday has the best shot to become the number 1 kr.

That is not what I remember at all. He was having real difficulties trying to establish himself as a viable backup wide receiver. And as a kick returner, he dropped the ball - a lot.

In any case, he was injured all last year and was on injured reserve. Certainly there is no reason not to bring him into training camp this year and give him another chance.

Regardless of his performance in training camp last year, I hope Rick Smith is right. Good luck, Trindon!

If we resign Andre Davis, he'll be dedicated to KR. Lord knows he hasn't done much as a receiver. Holliday is like Eric Metcalf. A sawed off little water bug that may or may not pan out. At least we didn't spend much on Holliday if he pans. I wish him the best, though. I hope he becomes the all-time leader in KR for TD's while wearing a Texans uniform.

I'm encouraged to hear that they have made some changes to their approach this season. That's good.

I'm also encouraged that he brought up the 2009 draft, specifically, as an example of how not drafting for need worked out well for the team: Arian Foster was an UDFA. I say this because, with FA occurring after the draft, I have been terrified that the Texans will attempt to solve their secondary and LB problems through the draft and reach for those need positions instead of drafting for value. In turn, afterwards, they will see less need to add talent in FA because of all the resources they just spent at those positions.

Frankly, I would be ecstatic if the Texans didn't draft a single DB in the draft, though I know many on these boards would be ripping them for it. To me, it would signal that they are determined to fill those holes through a very rich free agent market.

I'm not sure if "ecstatic" is the right word to use here, but I see what you're getting at. IMO, unless we can trade up for Peterson or land Prince, I would want the team to focus on drafting for other positions. However, Texans history has not suggested that they will be willing to spend a lot of money on a top-tier free agent; in fact, it's just the opposite. So, in essence, I'm not getting my hopes up that they will pay Champ or Aso, but if they're not drafting a DB like Peterson or Prince in round 1, I'd rather the team sign a veteran DB to a reasonable contract.

With that said, I have to admit it'd be a very tough decision to not draft Julio Jones if he's still available at #11. I'm just not completely sold on Aldon Smith... but since there's such a need at that position, I guess I'd be okay with the Texans taking that risk.

Still can't believe it's time for the NFL Draft already.

Smith said "if he believes it's a reasonable deal that will help the team",
he would trade up. Well of course he should in that scenario, otherwise he should be fired by McNair for dereliction of obligations as McNairs GM if he didn't.
But you guys who love Von Miller can forget about Smith moving up for him - too expensive. But I think there's a chance they move up to swap their first round pick along with their 4th rounder and maybe their 6th or 7th with Dallas to take Robert Quinn if he's there at the 9th pick.

Whatever plans the Texans (any of them) might have will probably change once others have drafted before and after them. I'm not looking for any big suprise Thursday night. In fact, if anything other than they use their 11th pick on a defensive player happens I'd be shocked.

Of course it's not like the Texans haven't shocked me before, but it's normally not a happy shock.

Whatever plans the Texans (any of them) might have will probably change once others have drafted before and after them. I'm not looking for any big suprise Thursday night. In fact, if anything other than they use their 11th pick on a defensive player happens I'd be shocked.

Of course it's not like the Texans haven't shocked me before, but it's normally not a happy shock.
I hope they shock the hell out of you and trade up for Miller. Keep your nitro handy. :fingergun:

Smith said "if he believes it's a reasonable deal that will help the team",
he would trade up. Well of course he should in that scenario, otherwise he should be fired by McNair for dereliction of obligations as McNairs GM if he didn't.
But you guys who love Von Miller can forget about Smith moving up for him - too expensive. But I think there's a chance they move up to swap their first round pick along with their 4th rounder and maybe their 6th or 7th with Dallas to take Robert Quinn if he's there at the 9th pick.
Thanks for crapping on my heart. I hope you pee the bed tonite.

If we resign Andre Davis, he'll be dedicated to KR. Lord knows he hasn't done much as a receiver. Holliday is like Eric Metcalf. A sawed off little water bug that may or may not pan out. At least we didn't spend much on Holliday if he pans. I wish him the best, though. I hope he becomes the all-time leader in KR for TD's while wearing a Texans uniform.

I see no reason to resign Andre Davis. He's a mediocre at best receiver and a terrible kick returner. He had that game a few years back when he returned two kicks for TD's and the Texans then signed him for more than he's worth.

John Clayton and Todd McShay were spewing lots of stuff on how the Texans might be interested in trading up to #5 for Patrick Peterson if he's still there. Apparently we have a crush on him.

Texans need to get Peterson or Miller.

Then they need to hit on all their mid round draft picks.

John Clayton and Todd McShay were spewing lots of stuff on how the Texans might be interested in trading up to #5 for Patrick Peterson if he's still there. Apparently we have a crush on him.

Peterson is the best prospect in the entire draft .... I sure wouldnt mind them trading up to get him.

I havent heard anything about the team having a crush on him ..... I do know they like Miller. To get him would take a big move up , not so sure they would be willing to pay the price to get to pick 2-3.

Peterson is the best prospect in the entire draft .... I sure wouldnt mind them trading up to get him.

I havent heard anything about the team having a crush on him ..... I do know they like Miller. To get him would take a big move up , not so sure they would be willing to pay the price to get to pick 2-3.

I might be in the minority on this one but if we come out of this draft with Peterson or Miller and a couple late round picks I would still be excited. I think in this system Miller could be a hof caliber player and Peterson could be one in any system. Not having a 2nd/3rd/4th/etc would suck because the anticipation and excitement of that 2nd round pick can be almost as good as the 1st rounder but I will be floating on cloud 9 if we trade up for either of these guys.

I might be in the minority on this one but if we come out of this draft with Peterson or Miller and a couple late round picks I would still be excited. I think in this system Miller could be a hof caliber player and Peterson could be one in any system. Not having a 2nd/3rd/4th/etc would suck because the anticipation and excitement of that 2nd round pick can be almost as good as the 1st rounder but I will be floating on cloud 9 if we trade up for either of these guys.
I'll be floating right next to you on cloud number 10 so wave at me.

If we trade up for Miller or Peterson, we aren't going to have mid round picks.

I'd rather have one great player out of the draft than a handful of guy's who contribute.

This franchise hasnt taken many chances .... always the safe solution.

I'd rather have one great player out of the draft than a handful of guy's who contribute.

Yep

If he drop to the 5-7 range I would give up a 1st/ 2/ 2012 2nd for Peterson or Miller.

Great players change games and help teams get over the 7-9,9-7 hump and Peterson/Miller are great players. IMHO

The question is, "are the odds better of getting one great player with multiple picks or better with very few picks but a high selection?" Based on research I have done, I'd much rather have the multiple picks.

Remember Mike Ditka trading away his draft for Ricky Williams? How about the Falcons trading up for Vick? the Chargers were able to draft Drew Brees and L. Tomlinson simply by dropping a few spots in the draft.

... There are, of course, examples that support your thesis as well. However, I think the risk of lost picks is too great, especially when we have a number of gaping holes at positions that could be significantly upgraded with middle round picks (NT, Safety, speedy WR). Even the history of the OLB in the 3-4 seems to support the idea of dropping in the draft. Most of the speed rushers drafted in the top 10 in order to convert to a 3-4 have been busts. Meanwhile, the list of elite players at that position lower in the draft is abnormally long.

Likewise, and I think he's the one player in this draft that can really help the Texans win NOW. I often don't say that about draft picks, but I feel Peterson is a guy who will not only be a long term regular Pro Bowler, but for a team right on the cusp like Houston could be the difference maker.

Frankly, if it's a third and fourth to swap places with Arizona and get Peterson, I think that's worth investing in.

I'm in the "trade up for Peterson or trade down" crowd.

Likewise, and I think he's the one player in this draft that can really help the Texans win NOW. I often don't say that about draft picks, but I feel Peterson is a guy who will not only be a long term regular Pro Bowler, but for a team right on the cusp like Houston could be the difference maker.

Frankly, if it's a third and fourth to swap places with Arizona and get Peterson, I think that's worth investing in.

I'm in the "trade up for Peterson or trade down" crowd.

No one is giving up Peterson without at least an additional 2nd rounder. If not from us it will come from another team. I don't have a problem with it but I could see how people might not be down with that. If you hope to get him without giving up our 2nd plus additional resources you are probably setting yourself up to be disappointed if indeed we pull off that trade. Gotta give something to get something. Just my opinion.

Smith falls in love with his picks. Doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I am so worried that no matter what we do, trade up, trade back, or stand pat, Smith will **** it up.

Just read on Rotoworld that The falcons want to make a huge jump into the Top 10 to grab one of the 2 WRs. That may push guys down. I honestly think that keeping the 8-12 picks is smart this draft because there are going to be guys there who can play and some teams may give up their draft for some Top 10 guys.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/203376/football-headlines?r=1

SI.com's Peter King reports the Falcons are attempting to trade into the top-10 for a shot at "explosive outside threats" A.J. Green and Julio Jones.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution suggested a month ago that GM Thomas Dimitroff would knock on the Browns' door at No. 6 if Green was still on the board. King considers the deal a longshot, however, presumably because there's too much ground to cover between the Falcons' No. 27 pick and the top-10. It's no surprise that a smart GM like Dimitroff would see a contending roster with several key players aging, and aggressively target a difference-maker as the missing ingredient.

I have a crush on him! Does that count? ;) He's AWESOME!!!

I'd much rather trade future picks (and god players to trade would be nice too) to move up but that's me. I mean, we all like to think that this is possibly Smithiaks last ride for the Texans, and if that is the case, then why not morgage 2012 to get somebody the Texans fans actually want? No? Okay then.

The question is, "are the odds better of getting one great player with multiple picks.

This regime rarely has second round or later picks that come in and immediately make significant contributions. If this regime had built had been successful for the most part then I'd be ok with that. But they have overall sucked and they need to win yesterday. I want them to win yesterday. Putting a bunch of tomatoes in the window and waiting for them to get ripe isn't going to help us with getting dinner tonight. I'm hungry. . .I'm ready to eat

This regime rarely has second round or later picks that come in and immediately make significant contributions.

DeMeco
Schaub
Schaub
Barwin
Tate

I'd say three minimum were immediate impact picks with Barwin having a significant impact in exactly the role he was drafted for (situational pass rusher) and Tate never getting a chance.

DeMeco
Schaub
Schaub
Barwin
Tate

I'd say three minimum were immediate impact picks with Barwin having a significant impact in exactly the role he was drafted for (situational pass rusher) and Tate never getting a chance.

Demeco and barwin. I dont count schaub as a draft pick but if you do, ok.

But I said second rd or later. We have done ok with the second round picks we have used, but it's not like we've had a bunch of mid round picks come in and make big contributions from day one if at all.

We've assigned trade values to certain Texans players if you guys want to take a stab at making a deal.

Using the trade value chart and these values that I've assigned to the 5 most realistic tradable players, can you make a deal?

Trade up, trade down, whatever you like. The only rule with trades is that you have to abide by the trade value chart:

Tradechartvalue.jpg

You can get creative. As we discussed yesterday, using players on the roster to increase trade value will be allowed. I’m going to include the five players that could garner trade interest under the following assumptions:

Judge Nelson will deny the League’s request for a stay and the league year will be in place come draft time. (Even though it already is technically… sort of.)

The highly organized League will reinstate 2010 rules making 4 year players restricted and thus, Jacoby Jones eligible for trade.

Your trade partners will want the players you offer them. (I’m not going to police this but refrain from sending Okoye or Williams to another 3-4 team etc..)

If you trade players currently on the roster, pick from these five and stick to the following trade values that I have assigned to them. (For the purposes of this experiment, I’m going to use our pick position to assign a value to the players.)

Mario Williams = (two first round picks or 2,500 points) – Mario is easily the most valuable trade player currently on the roster but keep in mind that if you trade him you’re leaving a gaping hole in the defense.

“Open” Daniels = (2nd and a 4th or 564 points) – Possibly one of the best TE’s in the league, injuries have slowed both his legs and his value. Is his talent scheme based?

Ben Tate = (4th round or 84 points) Tate was a 2nd round pick in 2010 but his broken fibula hurts his value.

Amobi Okoye = (5th rounder or 37 points) I’m going with the Travis Johnson model but I’m giving Amobi the 5th round conditional instead of the 6th based on the fact that he’s been healthier than Johnson was.

Jacoby Jones = (2nd rounder or 480 points) Jacoby was tendered at a second round level back in March. I’m going with that even though I’d be willing to bet that the Texans would part with him for a 3rd.

Please be as detailed as possible in your explinations.

Okay! Have at it! YOU are on the clock!

Goodell-Draft-hw.jpg

Good clean fun, in 07, Wilis was my favorite player and we blew it. Niners got him. This year, Peterson is my favorite player, and a useless win puts us behind them. They will nab him too.

Though the useless win against the Jags definitely hurts th Texans a lot now, I don't think Arizona will trade with the 49ers. And no team in the top four will drop out, IMO.

Trade Daniels(564), Okoye(84), Jones(480), our 3rd round pick(215) and swap 1st round picks(1250) to move up to #3 and take either Miller or Peterson, whoever is left. If both are on the board, I take Miller.
We have another good receiving TE in Casey, we can do without Okoye anyways and Jones is just too hit and miss for me. It's feast or famine with him and I'd rather have a steady diet and try to sign Moss as a vet FA.
If neither is left, that means Dareus is, so it's a win any way you look at it.
Buffalo could use the help at all three spots and still get the help they need at 11 while saving some $$ by not having to sign a top 5 pick.
:fans:

I see no reason to resign Andre Davis. He's a mediocre at best receiver and a terrible kick returner. He had that game a few years back when he returned two kicks for TD's and the Texans then signed him for more than he's worth.

And those two kicks for TD's were against Jacksonville's scrubs since they had clinched a playoff spot and pulled most of their starters....... I see no reason to resign Andre Davis, either.

Trade Daniels(564), Okoye(84), Jones(480), our 3rd round pick(215) and swap 1st round picks(1250) to move up to #3 and take either Miller or Peterson, whoever is left. If both are on the board, I take Miller.
We have another good receiving TE in Casey, we can do without Okoye anyways and Jones is just too hit and miss for me. It's feast or famine with him and I'd rather have a steady diet and try to sign Moss as a vet FA.
If neither is left, that means Dareus is, so it's a win any way you look at it.
Buffalo could use the help at all three spots and still get the help they need at 11 while saving some $$ by not having to sign a top 5 pick.
:fans:

Why on earth would you mortgage that much for a rookie when this year's FAs at those positions are so deep/talented?

You would honestly rather have:

Peterson

instead of:

ODaniels
Jacoby Jones
11th pick
73rd pick?

When, once FA starts, we can sign someone like:

Jonathan Joseph
Richard Marshall
Brent Grimes
Brandon Carr... and still have OD, JJ, and a 1st and 3rd?

Why on earth would you mortgage that much for a rookie when this year's FAs at those positions are so deep/talented?

Peterson

instead of:

ODaniels
Jacoby Jones
11th pick
73rd pick?

Jonathan Joseph
Richard Marshall
Brent Grimes

If you believe Peterson is going to be an all pro you do the deal. (Which I do)

I want Peterson and one of the guys you listed in FA or Taylor. Fixing the secondary would be a great place to start and you would still have your 2nd rd pick to draft a pash rusher. Not everything on defense would be fixed. But the baseline would be set for the 2012 draft to add more talent.

Could the Texans do without OD? They did last yr quite well.

JJ ? You bet ya

#11 Peterson would essentially be #11.

So it would cost a 3rd rd pick. Peterson is well worth it. (IMHO) and you would still have rds 4-7 to add depth.

The problem I'm seeing now is that Cleveland is willing to move their pick at 6 but I'm seeing alot of Peterson and Miller in the Top 5. Considering how this has gone in the past with the Texans I'm getting the feeling we are getting smoke screens to get other teams to chase "their" guy while others drop. Who knows but it is strange that so many teams allegedly have this trade up mentality and it is in the public. From that standpoint a team like the Cowboys, who also has Peterson as their top guy can spend less to jump up in front.

Peterson

instead of:

ODaniels
Jacoby Jones
11th pick
73rd pick?

Jonathan Joseph
Richard Marshall
Brent Grimes

The Texans offense can still put up plenty of points without OD. Dressen filled in quite nicely and is the better blocker.

J.Jones makes some great playes , then turns around and drops a gimmie in the endzone. He's not likely to be in a Texans uniform after this season with FA fast approaching for him.

0k0ye likely doesnt fit the scheme as a DT and hasnt proven to be much more than quality depth as a 43 DT. (I think he fits quite well as a 34 DE tho , probably his more natural position. but thats not the point)

Thing is , Im not sure those players , along with 11 and 73 are enough to move up to #3. Players just dont have the same value as draft picks in NFL trades. Even great players have been moved for little compensation in the form of draft picks.

That said , if I can move up and take what I believe to be a perenial Pro Bowl talent - getting arguably one of the two most talented players in this draft - for the above deal , I do it in a heartbeat. All of the above is replacable in FA.

This team has always gone the safe route and doesnt have much in the way of game changing players. That needs to change , its time to take some shots. Add those game changers both in the draft and FA to the core and see how far it'll take ya.

Texans locked on Aldon Smith now being reported..lol

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

evansilva Evan Silva
Multiple reports indicate #Texans are locked in on Aldon Smith. May even take him over Robert Quinn, Prince Amukamara. http://bit.ly/eJsQC3

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6477/aldon-smith

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle remains steadfast that the Texans will take Aldon Smith at No. 11 if the top ten goes as most expect.McClain is even to the point where he believes Houston would take Smith over Robert Quinn due to concerns Quinn's benign brain tumor may reappear as a problem. Lance Zierlein of the Chronicle also reported that the Texans would likely take Smith over Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara. "You'll hear Prince Amukamara's name with us," one team source said. "But I don't see it." Apr 27, 3:37 PM

I definitely think there is some truth to this but I also think if there are some "leaks" about it... our feelings won't be hurt if a team trades up for him and pushes another player down to us. Ton of smoke going around this time of year. I also don't doubt the validity that we'd take Smith over Quinn and Amukamara. I think Kubes/Wade/Rick question the impact Quinn would make early on with taking an entire year off of football. Doesn't seem like a move they'd do - and I don't think they've ever really seriously considered the Prince.

I definitely think there is some truth to this but I also think if there are some "leaks" about it... our feelings won't be hurt if a team trades up for him and pushes another player down to us. Ton of smoke going around this time of year. I also don't doubt the validity that we'd take Smith over Quinn and Amukamara. I think Kubes/Wade/Rick question the impact Quinn would make early on with taking an entire year off of football. Doesn't seem like a move they'd do - and I don't think they've ever really seriously considered the Prince.

I think every team from about 9 to 15 is wanting in the Top 7-8 to grab a "premiere" guy. However I highly doubt they would make their intentions known due to other teams maybe jumping up ahead. I think most of this right now is a smoke screen and that many teams are doing it to force others up while maybe pushing some players down.

McClain and Zierlein know about as much about the Texans decision making as most people here do .... They can predict how the first 10 go and make an educated guess according to the Texans needs as to who they would choose.

I dont belive they would take Quinn or Smith as both have injury concerns.

Well I do believe LZ knows alot more than McClain because he has people in the inside and around the league. I think McClain's contacts aren't as good as they once might have been. But overall all of the reports are people trying to gather info and going off of hearsay.

Back