Rick Smith on Sirius NFL Radio Moving The Chains

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, May 18, 2012.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

He was on yesterday afternoon. What I like about Sirius NFL Radio Moving The Chains with Pat Kirwain is that they do a complete run down of the roster when talking about a team. I mean complete. They talked about the offensive line and practically went all the way down to the reserves and talked about them.

Some tidbits that I got from the interview (Rick Smith sounded very positive about our draft but more positive about guys like Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael).

OL - They feel the guys they got in the draft could challenged for starting spots, especially the guard we picked up in the 3rd round, Brandon Brooks basically stating that his speed as a big man could be beneficial for him.

WR - He is encouraged by the work LeStar Jean has put in to challenge Walter for the #2 spot and Posey has already shown the accurate route running that he was drafted for, and then he said that Keyshawn Martin has already begun to impress coaches with his explosiveness off the line and his ability to make tough catches (I personally saw some tape on this guy and I couldn't resist thinking of Ernest Givins).

DBs - They liked the guys they already drafted with Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael, they felt that out of all the CBs they had, that McCain made the most improvement and he really likes Carmichael's chances of stepping up and being a real contributor for our team. I kinda got the impression that Kareem Jackson is needing to look over his shoulder because there was no mention of him at all. Everyone but Jackson.

He said that The Texans were fortunate enough to have only one real casualty by switching to 3-4 defense and unfortunately that casualty was Demeco Ryans whose production declined as a result of the system. They said they did what was best for the team and best for Demeco by allowing him to go to a 4-3 defense where he would shine and could potentially make an all-pro career for himself.

He also talked about Mercilus and how he liked that Mercilus had a body of work in a 4 year college career. And when he got to Crick, he spoke of getting guys that would fit the club with the passion for football mentality that our current team has, guys that would put in higher than expectations type work and Crick fits that mold with the likes of Watt, Cushing, etc....

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

rep.. dunno if you got that part right though cos mercilus has the one yr wonder tag on him.. maybe he was talking bout cricks 4 yrs??

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

rep you as well. sure distanced themselves from Mario quickly (last offseason all the talk about him fitting in @ OLB) :mario:

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Is there a podcast of this anywhere?

5. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I could see them inserting him in the O-line for a goal line push to get a TD, but I would be surprised if he ended being the starter this soon. I think with Caldwell and Wade Smith they have the best chance at maintaining continuity in the line, and I think Brooks, who has a tremendous upside, is still too raw and will probably need a year in the system to hone his skill. But, you never know.

Good to hear LeStar is pushing for the #2 spot and that Martin and Posey are impressing the coaches. I'm looking forward to a good camp and a good season from these 3.

6. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I'm not worried about our receiving corp; I really, really like this young group of receivers.

Can't wait for the season to start! :splits:

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

A healthy Schaub is the key to this season.

8. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

According to Marshall Faulk TJ will be the starter during the season causing a QB controversy and the Texans not even making the playoffs.:vincepalm:

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Barring a health reason there is no question on the starting QB.

10. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Matt is the most important player on the team IMHO.

11. TheDream34

TheDream34 Veteran

Marshall Faulk is the biggest idiot on NFL Network. That's saying something considering they have guys like Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, and Deion Sanders. (Although Deion does crack me up sometimes)

12. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

I still to this day think Mario could have been a studly 3-4 DE in Wade's system.

I would have created the following front 7 in pass rushing situations:

------Mario-----Smith--Cody/Mitchell---Watt--------

-Reed--------------Cushing---------------Barwin

All 7 can get to the QB. Where would Wade bring the pressure from? Who knows. It could come from a side, a player or a jail break!

13. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Faulk is a damn genius compared to Jamie Dukes.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

OMG this ^^^^^^^.

Jamie Dukes has water on his brain. I wish he would just be on the NBC show The Voice full time instead of doing both.

15. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Now that is just crazy talk, one of my favorite Oilers of all time, let the kid step on the NFL field first. (trying to not get excited :kitten:)

16. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

No shyte.

I won't watch NFLN because of him. Period.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Mercilus left Illinois after his junior season.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Why let the facts get in the way of an opinion. LOL

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Smith was probably speaking about another player. It's interesting that the last 3 Texans 1st round picks (Jackson, Watt, Marcilus) all came out after their junior seasons.

20. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Just do the same now with Mercilus and Crick.:)