Richard Smith....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pittbull, May 2, 2006.

1. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

I think a point that everyone is missing, is the Defensive Coordinator, Richard Smith. Regardless of adding Williams in the draft, I think this guy has passion and is going to bring something to this team that it has long needed. One thing that stuck out to me, was the interview when Williams was introduced. He appeared in a casual shirt, when most coaches would have been doused in Texan appearal, especially in front of the owner. The thought I got and his showing "Look, I came to work, even during this draft, and I don't needed a $#@$ Texan polo shirt!" I think he will bring intensity and passion to a defense that we have long needed. I think this may have been our best pick up and his knowledge of how to use, both, the 43 ahd 34 defense will be to our benefit!:redtowel:

2. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

He's known for making his defense more aggresive from what i hear from the experts. He can really motivate these guys to shut down some potent offenses.

3. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Yeah, I think it was mentioned on 610 how some critics of Mario note that he took plays off. The announcers noted that Smith isn't gonna allow that to happen.

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I agree that Richard Smith will really motivate our defense. He is going to fire up our D-Line and turn them loose. It will be like Christmas for these guys after having to contain and take up blockers in the 3-4 to be able to go after the QB and make some plays.

5. 1337texanfan

1337texanfan Rookie

man as the days go by i cant help but get a little more excited for the coming season. i am ready for the start of the kubiak era in houston football.

:fans:

6. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i'm ready for some shut-up-and-play defense.

7. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Hey I was pro Bush and I remember him taking a play off in the national championship. I believe it was a fourth down play. Anyone? Does that ring a bell? Anyone?

I love the defensive picks we made.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I hear you.

I don't care who you're a fan of or what your team did in the draft and free agency. If you're not getting "a little more excited for the coming season" right about May 1st then there's something dead inside you.

9. Mario Williams

Mario Williams Rookie

Is that a real quote by Mario Williams in your sig?

10. Specter

Specter Rookie

Yeah, Thats what I'm hoping for

11. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i think with the guys we have here...the style of defense we need to be playing is aggressive aggressive aggressive...not read and react...not thinking before react...aggressive...attacking defenses are always more entertaining to watch and always seem to be more effective...we are a young defense who needs to be set on just attacking the offense with everything they have...let the super beast run wild on the offense

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Give that Lubbock lover a pie from Furr's. :)

13. Capster67

Capster67 Veteran

I loved Smith's work with the Oilers in the late 80's and early 90's. His passion in working with the Oilers special teams was legendary (Eugene Seale et al). Smith was so versatile and knowledgeable that he even coached tight ends and assisted with the o-line in 1992. He knows the game and he knows how to get the players to play it 100%. I'm looking forward to watching his defense play.

14. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

I love the fact we have a laid back (for an NFL guy) coach but a get in your grill, bad ***, I aint taking crap assistant!

15. slamdunc

slamdunc Rookie

read and react and think and react...thanks for pulling the scab off the sore. Gary Walker came on 610 after the coaches got whacked. He said the entire defense had our players thinking way too much. Per gary walker (paraphrasing a little bit), Peek needed to be "getting the SOB with the ball, not reacting to blockers or tight ends."

Agressive is what we will get w/ Smith.

16. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Oilers........................, 1992......................., 35-3....................., buffalo....................., cant let it go............................, now he is Defensive co................., thats not funny.......................returns to scene of crime..........................., Jim Eddy wants to coach linebackers..............................., has hatchet in his hand..............................., came to finish job that was started.....................

17. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Haha, no, I just made that up.
    I hope he's thinking that in the back of his mind though every time he lines up. :redtowel:

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It was Richard Smith who played a large roll in getting The Oilers to start winning after Earl was long gone. I remember he pretty much coined the House of Pain phrase and would wear an army helmet for his hit the beach mentality for special teams.

19. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Nice, i like the sound of that. :redtowel:

20. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Not only what you have stated, but how he also defended Mario and the pick. He was very articulate and went down the reasons why. He was literally lecturing the press. I found it was interesting that it wasn't Casserly, Kubiak, or McNair defending Williams, it was the guy that was going to coach him that offered up the defense.

By inferance, if you didn't get it, Mario has not yet matured. Bush probably has and people don't realize that. Best example I could give is like Chang vs Samprus in Tennis. When they were young Chang beat Samprus because he was more mature, but once Samprus matured it was no contest.

Mario and the Texans will be fine and it looks like Williams will be a person we won't have to worry about. I still think the off street issues are going to catch up with Bush and its going to NO's worst nightmare.

As Vital would say - ITS SUPER BOWL BABY - GOOOO TEEEEEXANS