Richard Smith speaks-Article on chronic

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MightyTExan, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4203032.html

This is what sticks out for me:

Smith also admitted he didn't see it coming despite how poorly the Texans' defense fared against Philadelphia.

"Against the Eagles in the first quarter, there was a lot of belief and hunger and all that kind of stuff," he said. "Once they scored, it was like a light switch went off. It was, 'Oh no. This is like last year.' It was a glassy-eyed look I didn't like.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

How do you Spak? ;)

3. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Sofly and carry a big stik.

;)

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

I like this line. This is exactly how I feel when I hear people defend our team with "well they are a great offensive team"

"I don't give a damn how powerful their offenses are," Smith said. "Sure, those are great teams. But if you look at it that way, you're looking at it as a loser."

5. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

There are a few things that are very disturbing in this article though...

(1) "It's hard, especially when you feel like things were going to be so different this year," cornerback Dunta Robinson admitted........

I mean, it sounds like Dunta is kinda mailing it in... We thought it was going to be different this year, but to him it already doesn't. Using his words, it would seem that they think this will be a repeat of last year.

(2) "We've embarrassed ourselves," Kalu said. "(Gary) Kubiak, Richard — they're such great coaches. We owe them a big apology. We've let them down, and we've let ourselves down. We've got good players. I don't know what we're doing wrong."

Again, lack of confidence, 'I don't know what we're doing wrong' is a pretty desperate statement to me. I'd like to think that the coaching staff has been able to identify some keys to focus on early this week and drill those thoughts into the teams head. Not blaming the coaching staff, but again think that the body language in the locker room is more negative than positive.

(3) Weaver weighed in on the question of the Texans' attitude, which he admitted is "fragile" going into this week's game.

Dude, two losses in a row to two top teams for a rebuilding team has to be handled better. They need to focus on the postive and work on correcting the problems that were noted in last week's game.

(4) "We're not doubting ourselves yet — it's going to click," Kalu insisted. "The guys here are too good. Anthony — he's the best defensive lineman I've played with in 10 years. DeMeco Ryans? He's going to be the Rookie of the Year. It has to click with these kinds of players."

Hey, I think Weaver has played ok, maybe not enough pressure but Ryans is playing really good. These are the two players I would expect to step up in the locker room and be leaders, but it seems they are being called out by Kalu... something with them is not clicking? Am I off here?

6. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

I love this quote by smith it really tells me he is a passionate coach...

"I don't give a damn how powerful their offenses are," Smith said. "Sure, those are great teams. But if you look at it that way, you're looking at it as a loser."

there is alot of truth to that statement. As a player you always respect your opponent but always believe you can win. They have to get that drilled into the players heads.

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Very nice article from a coach and player perspective. He seems to have a finger on the pulse of the team which is huge.

8. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Well if the shoe fits............

9. Heywood

Heywood Veteran

i know you didn't mean anything by this, but if you knew n.d. you'd understand why he is showing leadership. he's a truly great person.

10. real

real Guest

It doesn't sound like he's calling them out to me...It sounds more like he's giving those two props; When he says "it has to click", IMO, the "it" he's referring to is the defense...Basically if you subsitute "the defense" where he says "it" you'll get what I'm saying....

11. samomin

samomin Veteran

At least they are being honest (or it seems)

12. real

real Guest

Im really not sure what you all expect these guys to say....I'd rather them be mad at themselves...know they haven't played good, be down on their self....as opposed to them saying we've played to the best of our abilities...we just aren't good enough...would that come off right ?

13. real

real Guest

We aren't coaches or players so we have the chance to look at the situation objectively...We aren't saying losing is acceptable...but real life must set in at some point....Of course the players aren't going to give up...why would they ?? But in real life as fans on the outside looking in, we can see certain matchups where the other team has the clear advantage...

14. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

It is interesting that Kalu said nothing about Mario.

15. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

I'd buy that EXCEPT... he says that it (the defense) has to click with these types of players... after directly referencing Ryans and Weaver. I am sure there is nothing to it, but it just seems weird to me that he says it has to click with these kind of players after specifically mentioned Ryans and Weaver....

unless he means that the rest of the defense has to click with Weaver and Ryans because they are doing the right thing...

We need these on audio so you can hear the inflection, otherwise *****s like yours truly twist them any which way.

I still think that saying I don't know is a crappy answer... I think they can say that we identified areas to work on, have addressed and will continue to address them... saying I don't know makes it seem like the player hasn't learned anything from the loss.

16. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

At least the guy seems to have a pulse and not always speak in 'coachspeak' like the previous regime. If I heard the phrase 'were not executing' again I think I would have puked. Smith seems quotable and the players seem like they are able to speak their mind. I dont mind any of the quotes I heard, but really liked smith refusing to blame our performance on the quality of our opposition. Seems like he is accountable and will make people accountable.....hopefully we can improve.

17. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

The fact that these guys are professionals and they don't know what they are doing wrong scares me the most.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

To me that = 'our coaches have been outcoached so far'

19. real

real Guest

Bingo...I think he was just pointing out two of the players he felt had played good...And how talented they are....Then he goes on to say that they will eventually start playing well because of players like that...atleast that's how I took it...

Well whatever answer they give in this situation...you're not going to like it...He could have just come out with the old generic, "we did some things wrong, worked on them, and as long as we continue to work hard in practice we'll get better...We're just looking forward to this next game" response...He could have said that just to make people like you happy...But maybe said player didn't do anything wrong but the guy next to him messed up all game long...maybe he doesn't want to point out specific things as to not call out or embarrass his teammates...Is it really right for a D-lineman to say We got burned in the secondondary all game long....Or our linebackers need to step up? Maybe the coach but when you ask a player about things most of the time they are going to give generic answers....

20. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I agree. As a defensive coordinator for the JV team where I teach, if I didn't know what was going on, my ass was in a sling and my team would be getting their butts kicked.
    I usually knew what was going wrong, and if I didn't wee it, then someone in the box would relay wehat happened to me.
    It shouldn't be that hard.