Richard Smith as DC

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by bdiddy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Lets face it, many fans were hoping for a big name signing at the DC spot. However, we should not be so quick to dismiss Richard Smith. He has 18 years of NFL coaching experience, so he is not exactly new to the League. He was the Dolphins DC last year and got to learn under Saban who is a defensive guru and Belichek disciple. Prior to this he was Assistant Head Coach/Linebacker Coach with the Lions. He is an ex-college player that likely knows how to motivate players. He has made a living coaching linebackers, and area of desparate need.

The guy actually has pretty impressive credentials. He is young and motivated, which I like.

2. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

He was here with the Oilers back in the late 80's and early 90's. As far as motivating players, he used to allow his special teams players (guys like Robert Lyles, Eugene Seale, etc.) walk up and down the field wearing fatigues and army helmets before games. It was supposed to intimidate the opponent I guess. It usually just pissed them off or made them laugh. It was part of that whole House of Pain thing and the Glanville circus.

Hey, you can never have enough Fresno Staters on your team.

3. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

So is this a rumor, official, or just someone your personally recommending?

4. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I read somewhere that he was going to be the linebacker coach.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Am I wrong but is Ted Catrall still out there and in the running?

6. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

This is personal opinion, however, I am hearing his name come up.

Speculation: He will be a part of the defensive staff in some capacity. It is looking more and more like he will be offered the DC job.

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Yawn. Wake me up when we get a real staff. This is a bunch of lightweights, who seem to be picked by mepotism or connection more than for what they can do. I hear the towel boy at St. Pius is up for a key spot.

8. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

so we're defining lightweights as someone that's moving into a position through a promotion (regardless of the number of years of experience in the league) examples: Ron Rivera, Charlie Weiss, Marvin Lewis, Gary Kubiak, Romeo Crennell, Sean Payton, ...

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Richard Smith is partly responsible for making the Oilers actually play some football in the late 80s.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

wow yall are harsh :)

Give it a chance folks.

Im not too thrilled about the lack of BIG names and proven coaches coming our way.. but im not gonna knock it till I see it in action.

13. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

LMAO!

14. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

R. Smith is a talented teacher of LBs and DBs. Him and Hoke should do a bang up job with those two levels of defense. I would think our turnover and pressure count would definately go up. even though 37 sacks was not bad this year just came at the tail end of the season. Consistency is all I want from the assistant coaches. Also, Kyle Shanahan is kid of a big time NFL coach of course he is gonna get a job.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

What do you think it says to other assistant coaches when they see a 24 year old Shanahan getting a job. I do not blame Bates one bit for control when he looks at what his future cohorts on the staff look like.

16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I will say that even guys like Lovie Smith were position guys before someone gave them a shot and made them a coordinator so you can't judge all new hires like that BUT it is scary to an extent where we really don't have the luxury of being able to just to let caution fly.

17. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Wish I locked down a sweet 100K+ gig right out of college.

18. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

The way I see it is that Shanahan has been around football his entire life. I'm sure from the time he could crawl his father was preaching X's and O's and diciplin to him. I'll give him a chance before tossing him his pink slip... besides.. Alexander the Great conquored the known world by the time he was 25...

19. jetdoc

jetdoc Rookie

Richard Smith's the reason that we're losing out on Jim Bates. Bates doesn't want to be "CO-coordinator" with anyone and he doesn't HAVE to. He's proven himself in this league and Gary's really screwing up by doing the "Co-coordinator" thing on the Defensive side. Bates doesn't HAVE to coach either. The Packers STILL have to pay him $900,000/yr for the next 2 yrs. Hell I'd sit on the couch and watch the NFL on DirecTv for $900,000/yr. THEN I MIGHT think of getting a job? :twocents:

20. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

That kid (Shanahan) is also the one who coached up Matt Jones at last year's senior bowl. He also got arrested for PI at the Combine. Gruden has good things to say about him, also. Nad he calls he dad alot, who I think is a pretty good coach.

I'm also willing to bet Kubiak is going to be very hands on with all the players on offense, espically the skill guys. I really don't think Kyle is going to the sole source of input into the receivers.