Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Richard Sherman's Big Mouth

For my part I don't think of it as an aspect of being "old school". There aren't any more guys out there today running their mouths and acting out than there were back in the day. Maybe more attention is paid to them by the fans because we get more coverage than ever before but there are still plenty of guys who go out and play quietly and professionally just like there have always been.

I just tend to prefer and have more respect for athletes that conduct themselves in a more dignified manner. Sherman is a guy who impresses me with his abilities but I turn the channel when someone jams a microphone in his face. I did that with TO, Chad Johnson, and pretty much every other "look at me" guy who has come down the road. I'm just not interested in what they have to say.

I believe there were more back in the day because the consequences weren't as strict. Dancing, celebrating, trash talking, hell raising was a part of the make up. No, of course not everyone, and probably not the majority, but individuality was respected more then than now. During the Oiler days, Earl Campbell received the utmost respect, yet Billy Whiteshoes, Kenny Stabler and other notorious teammates weren't criticized for their different approach in and to the game. Ha ha, but I do recall when Stabler retired Bud Adams said that he preferred a quarterback that didn't read his plays by the light on the jukebox. That lasted about two weeks before he found his way to the waters of Alabama to beg Stabler out of retirement. Many matured over the years and, Michal Irving, for example still shows flashes of personality, but as close as it gets to a 180 transformation. Probably today he would have been cut and blacklisted.

Sherman says “the NFC Championship was the Super Bowl. The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL.”

Still talking...
“We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes,” Sherman told TheMMQB.com after Sunday’s win.

“Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half. . . . Me, Earl [Thomas], Kam [Chancellor] . . . we’re not just three All-Pro players. We’re three All-Pro minds. Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could’ve been exposed.”

"No I don't [believe there would be a lifetime ban]. Because we have an NFL team called the Redskins," Sherman said. "I don't think the NFL really is as concerned as they show. The NFL is more of a bottom-line league. If it doesn't affect their bottom line, they're not as concerned."

The Seahawks cornerback, fresh off signing a $57 million contract
on Wednesday, said he'd like the Sterling situation to be the impetus for the Redskins to change their name -- or at least restart the conversation.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-wouldnt-have-banned-donald-sterling-for-life
I smell hypocrisy here as slick-talking Richard Sherman disparagingly refers to the NFL as a bottom-line league right after bottom-line NFL player Richard Sherman signed a new contract worth 40 million guaranteed.

The Seahawks cornerback, fresh off signing a $57 million contract on Wednesday, said he'd like the Sterling situation to be the impetus for the Redskins to change their name -- or at least restart the conversation...
So now he's the Commissioner?

The next year or so will be interesting when it comes time to pay Wilson

Without a doubt. Fortunately for the Seahawks, they've got him under the rookie contract for 2-3 more years before even considering a franchise tag. They will most likely want to take care of him before that point, though, so it will certainly be interesting to see it all pans out.

Without a doubt. Fortunately for the Seahawks, they've got him under the rookie contract for 2-3 more years before even considering a franchise tag. They will most likely want to take care of him before that point, though, so it will certainly be interesting to see it all pans out.

There are 2 more years for his rookie deal which expires on May 7th 2016 (on a $2.99 contract). I think they'll likely try and get something done next offseason with Russ. Obviously at the moment he will be more valued, coming off a Superbowl win. If they bring it home again next season, they could be in for an awkward negotiation.

That said, Wilson is far from the most unreplacable QB in the NFL. They play a system in Seattle, and Wilson fits it perfectly, however really isn't asked to do a whole lot - but makes big plays when needed. That is why I think Seattle has the best chance of a repeat championship - they are the most complete team in the league, from their secondary, to their O-line there are no gaps in that team - which has a low amount of overpaid prima donnas.

There are 2 more years for his rookie deal which expires on May 7th 2016 (on a $2.99 contract). I think they'll likely try and get something done next offseason with Russ. Obviously at the moment he will be more valued, coming off a Superbowl win. If they bring it home again next season, they could be in for an awkward negotiation.

That said, Wilson is far from the most unreplacable QB in the NFL. They play a system in Seattle, and Wilson fits it perfectly, however really isn't asked to do a whole lot - but makes big plays when needed. That is why I think Seattle has the best chance of a repeat championship - they are the most complete team in the league, from their secondary, to their O-line there are no gaps in that team - which has a low amount of overpaid prima donnas.

yep. Two more years, and is there an option for a 5th year for a 3rd round pick? I'm not knee deep in contract stuff, so just curious and kinda' assumed there would be that option.

And I agree with your second paragraph, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they return to the championship game this year or next. They've truly built a great team that works together as a team. They've got something special going on up there, especially with regards to great talent and the chemistry between them.

The next contract for Wilson should be very interesting. Obvious the guy will want to be paid, but he's not considered elite, and he really appears to be the kind of player that will want to stay in Seattle. A so-called 'hometown discount' would not surprise me to keep the nucleus of the team intact.

yep. Two more years, and is there an option for a 5th year for a 3rd round pick? I'm not knee deep in contract stuff, so just curious and kinda' assumed there would be that option.

And I agree with your second paragraph, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they return to the championship game this year or next. They've truly built a great team that works together as a team. They've got something special going on up there, especially with regards to great talent and the chemistry between them.

The next contract for Wilson should be very interesting. Obvious the guy will want to be paid, but he's not considered elite, and he really appears to be the kind of player that will want to stay in Seattle. A so-called 'hometown discount' would not surprise me to keep the nucleus of the team intact.

I'm with you on not being a contract geek - I'm just using the 3 liner reports for his contract. I presume there would be a desire to get him locked down by Seattle by that point anyway, as we've both mentioned, so it likely wouldn't come to that.

Re: your second paragraph, the only one person who I think could be taken out of the mix in Seattle which would derail their season is Pete Carroll. He has a bunch of grown men playing with the passion and fun that you see from college guys. A know a lot of guys aren't supporters of his - however I really think the reaction from the players there to his style of coaching has been superb.

I can totally see him taking a hometown discount - however the only issue might arise if there is a team who is desperate to get a mobile style QB. I think Russell will happily take 2-3 million less to stay in Seattle - however if there is a team offering a Brady scale contract, there is no way he'd be able to turn that down (and IMO, no way that Seattle would/could match).

I'm curious... did people vote him in hoping for an injury or did they vote him in because they like him?

Edit: not aimed at you, DB, just speaking in general terms about how polarizing the dude is.

I'm curious... did people vote him in hoping for an injury or did they vote him in because they like him?

Edit: not aimed at you, DB, just speaking in general terms about how polarizing the dude is.

I voted for him because I like him. He entertains me.

And tbh, I'm not the biggest Cam Newton fan. That Superman thing he does just annoys me.

I think Calvin Johnson broke the so-called "Madden curse". He smashed records that year, and his team even went to the playoffs after a 4-12 season.

Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL
Richard Sherman: Patriots won't be punished as long as Robert Kraft and Roger Goodell 'are taking pictures at each other's homes ... I think Goodell was just at Kraft's house the night before the conference championships, I mean, talk about a conflict of interest.'

Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL

Quote:
"Richard Sherman: Patriots won't be punished as long as Robert Kraft and Roger Goodell 'are taking pictures at each other's homes ... I think Goodell was just at Kraft's house the night before the conference championships, I mean, talk about a conflict of interest."

Yeah, the NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino partying on Jerruhs bus wasn't punished either.

But we were assured there was no conflict of interest there either. :thinking:

Didn't help enough though, guess he didn't like his party favors.

:coffee:

Some people dislike Sherman but the man makes an excellent point. Yes very wealthy people normally hang around other very wealthy people but there has to be a line.

Do I think they conspired? No. Does it look bad? Yes.

Sherman is a total douchebag. I hope Brady picks their asses apart Sunday. What is Roger supposed to be doing, lines with Johnny in a Vegas bathroom? Eating Skittles with Lynch in the Oakland hood?

Goodell wants to talk about “protecting the shield" but yet he's been highly questionable since he took office. You can't preach compliance to players when ethics are in question. He needs to keep personal and business separate.

Goodell wants to talk about “protecting the shield" but yet he's been highly questionable since he took office. You can't preach compliance to players when ethics are in question. He needs to keep personal and business separate.

Isn't the shield what pays Rihard Sherman ? But knowing how idealistic and pure Sherman is, I'm sure he's never depositied a single one of those checks he's gotten from Paul Allen. Right since he so disapproves of "the Shield" ?

Richard Sherman's rise was always highlighted by the chip on his shoulder, fueled by those who doubted him.

But, now he's got the accolades and is widely considered one of the best CBs in the NFL. What fuels him now? It is becoming an act? Or does he constantly feed himself the words of doubters?

kraft-goodell1.jpg

Goodell at Kraft's house night before conference championships(pre-deflate).

Back