Richard Seymour fined $15,000 for hit on Matt Schaub

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Oct 15, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/15/richard-seymour-fined-15000-for-hit-on-matt-schaub/

Raiders defensive lineman Richard Seymour has been fined once again.

Seymour was fined $15,000 for hitting Texans quarterback Matt Schaub below the knees during the Raiders’ win over the Texans on Sunday.

It’s the second week in a row that Seymour has been fined $15,000. Last week the fine was broken down into $7,500 apiece for two different hits against the Patriots, one on Tom Brady and one on BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

Last year Seymour was fined $25,000 for punching Ben Roethlisberger.

All the fines aren’t likely to make much of a difference to Seymour. A $15,000 fine is one-tenth of 1 percent of his 2011 salary of $15 million.

2. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

Fines only work if the penalty is high enough to change your behavior. Basic economics. If they really wanna send a message, they need to suspend him for a game without pay.

3. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Al Davis would be so proud. Seriously.

imatexan likes this.
  4. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Fines should be a percentage of your salary. A really bad hit could be say 10% for a first time offender, 18% for a second time offender, and 35% for a third. You make it that high, I seriously doubt anyone would be willing to pay 63% of their salary for just 3 hits.

5. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Football is a contact sport, and playing tough gets you to the playoffs and beyond! I'm not advocating intentional hits meant to put a player out of commission either. There are to many friggin rules these days. Sometimes I long for the good old days when players were allowed to play the damn game of FOOTBALL, hard hits and all!! Besides, if the Oline had done their job we wouldn't be posting on this thread.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

These fines are getting out of hand and taking the aggressiveness out of football. Heck, Seymour even blocked into Schaub, so I don't know what the NFL thought he was supposed to do.

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

1.) >0.1% is not out of hand. Sorry.
    2.) It happens to everyone. JJ Watt got it a couple weeks ago. It's BS when a player gets blocked into a QB and gets fined. What gets me is they already have precedent for a no call in the roughing the kicker rule. They can't seem to draw the parallel when it's the QB.

8. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

If you're not cheatin you're not tryin.

9. False Start

False Start On # 69

Good Lord...really? I mean DAMN! QB's now days are becoming sissified. [​IMG]

10. KA4Texan

KA4Texan C27A

Agreed, problem is if they went back to the "good ole days" of football, I dont think they would have enough players left alive in the league to form a single team by game 3. :cutthroat:

As for the QBs, they arent becoming sissified they have been there, lest we forget mittens :lol:

11. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

I remember a few years ago...the hit by Jared Allen on Schaub...and how Schaub was knocked out for a few games. I just hope Schaub can recover fast from that hit on Sunday.......

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Another similar flag and he should be suspended 3 games withou pay.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Or fine them a percentage of their salary instead of a flat rate ....

Tho many of these fines are bullshit ....

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Players are going to do what they're coached to do. Players aren't going to change, until it becomes a problem for their coaches. It won't be a problem for the coaches, until it's a problem for the team.

I think the NFL is crazy for trying to address these problems at the player level. The NFL should control it's franchises & its franchises should control its players.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont like all the new rules ..... many of which are knee jerk reactions to injuries to star players. Take for instance the hitting a QB low being a reaction to Brady being hurt.

The new "defenseless reciever rule" really takes away from the defenders ability to defend .... it completely changes the game. Ive seen instances where a player has taken three or more steps after making a catch , gets leveled and the defender is flagged.
    Big hits on recievers are just part of the game .... always have been , always should be.

I think many of these hits being penalized are just players playing football the way they have always been taught to play .... its hard to change the way you play so many years later.

I miss the NFL of the 70's ....

This guy was always one of my NFL favorites .....

[​IMG]

16. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

So, whenever you make a mistake at work, you'd have no problem with your boss docking your pay?

I miss the 70's also.

As for the penalties and fines. How does the NFL justify fining a player for doing what he was taught for the past 20 years, and then is expected to re-learn the game at a drop of the hat?

I've also seen defensive players let up to avoid the hit/fine, and by doing so lets the other team make a play because their offensive player didn't let up.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

if his union collectively agreed on it he'd have to - or go sell cars if he didn't like it.

18. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 August Preseason!

Yep he is clapping in the skies of heaven. You could picture that!:good:

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

They should just fine the O-linemen for letting it happen. :)

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Vinny sums it up simply ....

As for myself - If I make a mistake , I should be held responsible for it be that on the job or in my daily life.

Too bad more of America isnt on a performance based salary .... we may not have many of the problems we currently face. We'd have more Texan_Bill's , Cerberus' and Corrosion's .... and fewer Kidney_Pie's , SWT_Bounds and .... Wagonheds.

Vinny likes this.