Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Richard Justice has done a complete "about-face" !

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
"Bush is such a rare talent the Texans are lucky to have an opportunity to get him. Some years there's a tough debate about all the top picks. There are no questions about Bush. He's going to be a star.
He makes the Texans better on a variety of levels. He makes them more interesting, too.
It's one thing to pass on Young to take Bush. Young would mean parting company with Carr before finding out how good he is. Such a divorce wouldn't be pleasant.
Bush is a simple fit. He arrives, joins Carr in the backfield, and things roll. Meanwhile, Young will need time.
And the Texans have invested four years and millions of dollars in Carr. With a new coaching staff and an array of new talent, this will be his opportunity. It never should have taken this long.
Domanick Davis is a serviceable NFL back, but he's not a game- breaker. With Johnson, Moulds and Bush, the Texans will have three players capable of quick scores.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/3788381.html
Formerly a big "Draft VY" guy, Justice has seen the light and is firmly in
the corner of the "Draft Reggie" crowd.

Wow. Didn't expect that. He may also just be trying to make amends with all the people that ripped him when he wrote that "Open letter to Reggie Bush" talking about how horrible a place Houston was to live.

"I think the Texans should draft Vince Young." - Richard Justice - April 10

It makes me sick when writers like this flip flop and never stick to their guns.

This is Justice's MO. Anyone that reads his coverage of all three sports (especially baseball) know him as a classic flip-flopper. The key for him is the seamless transition. Instead of writing a column about how you are wrong, jump horses midstream and fit in one sentence admitting your switch. If you're lucky people won't notice that sentence. If you're extremely lucky people will never notice you were pro-Vince.

I have no problem with people changing their mind. I do all the time. The key as a columnist is the mea culpa. There is little in his case.

Wasn't it Justice who wrote the RIP article on the Astros when they were 15-30 (or somewhere around there)? That one was an all-time classic.

PowerfulDragon said:
didn't he then claim to have lit the fires in the astros bellies.

Yes he did. That was the icing on the cake. It didn't have anything to do with Bagwell out of the lineup or Berkman getting healthy, did it? Nah, it is all about Richard Justice's article.

TheOgre said:
Wasn't it Justice who wrote the RIP article on the Astros when they were 15-30 (or somewhere around there)? That one was an all-time classic.
Then turn around and say he never doubted them for a second.

Actually after reading Justice's article, it looks more like a concession speech. He realizes we aren't taking Young, so he is accepting that Bush is the pick. He loved Bush prior to getting his just-short-of-Rich-Lord man crush on Young after the Rose Bowl. I wish more VY fans would realize that we are not taking the man.

TheOgre said:
I wish more VY fans would realize that we are not taking the man.
I think most of them know that, as they are past the denial stage. Actually the Texans pick is now a foregone conclusion and the big talk now should be
the second the Saints have and where ViY goes. I think there's a good chance someone moves up in a trade with the Saints to take either Leinert or
VY.
By the way, Justice just joined Lance and John on the 610 show this morning.

TheOgre said:
Actually after reading Justice's article, it looks more like a concession speech. He realizes we aren't taking Young, so he is accepting that Bush is the pick. He loved Bush prior to getting his just-short-of-Rich-Lord man crush on Young after the Rose Bowl. I wish more VY fans would realize that we are not taking the man.

That's what it sounds like to me. And I also wish more VY lovers would accept that Reggie Bush is the probable #1 pick. Assuming we keep the pick.

Ever since the Rose Bowl ..... I havent been able to make up my mind which player is a better fit for the LONG HAUL ..... The one thing I do know is that I wish Vince would'a stayed at Texas ..... The Horns would be the fav's to win it all again .... and we wouldnt have to listen to the VY / RB debate in every damn thread !:twocents:

As for Justice and McLain .... their mission is to sell papers , its a popularity contest with those guy's .... They dont really care if the team wins or loses as long as they have a juicy story to writ about ..... Anyone read what Mclain wrote the other day .... " I hope Vince goes to the Titans so the Texans can play against him twice a year and Ill have something to write about " .....

Popularity doesnt win football games .... It just sells papers , Tennis shoes , Cars , Beer ....or what ever ....... Then you and I (the consumer) pay more for it :crying: :brickwall

Anyone hear the Mattress Mac call in to the 610 guys and Justice this morning? Mac was almost hysterical at the thought of the Texans not drafting Mr Young. Was kinda funny ....

chuckm said:
Anyone hear the Mattress Mac call in to the 610 guys and Justice this morning? Mac was almost hysterical at the thought of the Texans not drafting Mr Young. Was kinda funny ....
Damn, sorry to have missed that! Bet it was hilarious. "C'mon Texans, trade down! It'll save you MONEY!!!":)

Mr. Justice needs someone to interview for the next 6 years. He's not doing his career any favors politicking for the wrong guy. He knows it and is a realist. Nothing to do with who he likes. IMHO.

After everyone settles down from the Rose Bowl and looks at the whole picture, they will ALL realize Reggie Bush is the correct pick. It's a NO BRAINER! And I guarantee if Young didn't go to UT nobody here would even be thinking about him as the #1 overall pick.

chuckm said:

Damn, that was funny. I wonder if he was jumping up and down with money in his hands while he was ranting.

TheOgre said:

Actually, it was Jesus Ortiz who wrote the tombstone article. Justice was speaking of the entire Chronicle staff when he JOKINGLY took credit for the astros making it to the world series.

If you read today's entire article, though, he says that the Texans aren't drafting Vince Young, so it's a pointless argument at this point. I don't think he has flipped on the issue, he just seems resigned to the inevitable.

Justice probably changed his mind after watching the ESPN draft special last night. All the "professionals" are saying we WILL take Bush or we are making one of the biggest mistakes in football history, so Justice probably thought he better start supporting Bush for fear of looking like a moron come draft day.

chuckm said:

No I didn't but I wish I had, that would have been funny.

I know Bush will be the pick, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that Vince shouldn't be the pick. Ten years from now, Houston sports fans will be talking about our next "Glide" Drexler situation...

Frak The Jags said:
Damn, sorry to have missed that! Bet it was hilarious. "C'mon Texans, trade down! It'll save you MONEY!!!":)

Wouldn't it be more like "C'mon Texans, pick Vince! You'll have BACK BACK BACK BACK orders of Jerseys!!!"

Mrs. Lanier (Mayor Lanier's wife) calls into the show and sounds like a total looney as well. She keeps ranting on and on as if she's some celebrity who is 'letting us' hear her banter. I didn't hear Mac today (Wish I would've) but it couldn't have been as bad as Mrs. Young...err...Mrs. Lanier. WOW!

Mac's a moron. I wouldn't buy water from him if I was walking across the Sahara. Whatever he says we should do, I would do the opposite.

Justice and McClain do not change their minds. They switch bandwagons.

Think about it. Have any of you actually changed your minds regarding Young/Bush since the Rose Bowl?

:) That's what I thought.

Marcus said:
Justice and McClain do not change their minds. They switch bandwagons.

Think about it. Have any of you actually changed your minds regarding Young/Bush since the Rose Bowl?

:) That's what I thought.

Well, I've gone from trade down to Bush. Does that count? (For the record, it's mainly because we've had such a good offseason.)

TheOgre said:
That's certainly how he spun it when he was getting slammed by emails / callers into the show. You can't overlook his long-time association w/ Casserly though...he spent a segment defeding Cass' off-season moves since his Redskin days. Justice never met a 'spin' he didn't like.

chuckm said:
He kept yelling "TWO-AND-FOURTEEN" like an AMEN at a Southern Baptist Revival! Not only that, I hope David Carr gets a copy of the show to listen to. It ought to help him get motivated for next season like nothing else. McIngvale kept putting the blame on Carr for ALL of last season's woes and said outright that "He's no Leader!". Somehow, I don't see Carr doing any appearances at Gallery in the foreseeable future. :rolleyes:

Justice is a clown plain and simple. It's not that he jumped on a bandwagon, but the way he's gone about it. He's shown no tact or any real insight to his reasoning. Before the rose bowl he was talking about how he hoped Reggie would be his best friend and then he went to the other side of the spectrum with that open letter to Reggie, which if I found no humor in at all. Then he jumps on the Vince bandwagon saying he wants the Texans to pick Young, but any other choice other than Bush would be.... silly.

What pisses me off about the guy is that he's supposed to be a respectable journalist, yet he writes pieces that ignorantly insult the subjects he's writing about. For instance the way he started the article this morning. They're bringing in Williams you have to be joking. I mean he basically comes off as calling Williams a joke. I know we are more than likely ending up with Bush, but how would he react if Williams were the 1st pick. I was only kidding and it was only a joke will only get you so far. I heard him on the morning show and it seemed to me that each thing he said just made him look more clueless. I was getting frustrated until I heard Mattress Mack go histerical. I mean Mack made my morning. It was funny as hell when John and Lance had to talk over Mack and he would not get a clue to stop and kept going. Well I guess I should quit ranting now.

Back