Richard Justice has done a complete "about-face" !

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by nunusguy, Apr 12, 2006.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"Bush is such a rare talent the Texans are lucky to have an opportunity to get him. Some years there's a tough debate about all the top picks. There are no questions about Bush. He's going to be a star.
    He makes the Texans better on a variety of levels. He makes them more interesting, too.
    It's one thing to pass on Young to take Bush. Young would mean parting company with Carr before finding out how good he is. Such a divorce wouldn't be pleasant.
    Bush is a simple fit. He arrives, joins Carr in the backfield, and things roll. Meanwhile, Young will need time.
    And the Texans have invested four years and millions of dollars in Carr. With a new coaching staff and an array of new talent, this will be his opportunity. It never should have taken this long.
    Domanick Davis is a serviceable NFL back, but he's not a game- breaker. With Johnson, Moulds and Bush, the Texans will have three players capable of quick scores.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/3788381.html
    Formerly a big "Draft VY" guy, Justice has seen the light and is firmly in
    the corner of the "Draft Reggie" crowd.

2. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

what did you expect... it is richard justice.

3. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Wow. Didn't expect that. He may also just be trying to make amends with all the people that ripped him when he wrote that "Open letter to Reggie Bush" talking about how horrible a place Houston was to live.

4. "I think the Texans should draft Vince Young." - Richard Justice - April 10

It makes me sick when writers like this flip flop and never stick to their guns.

5. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

This is Justice's MO. Anyone that reads his coverage of all three sports (especially baseball) know him as a classic flip-flopper. The key for him is the seamless transition. Instead of writing a column about how you are wrong, jump horses midstream and fit in one sentence admitting your switch. If you're lucky people won't notice that sentence. If you're extremely lucky people will never notice you were pro-Vince.

I have no problem with people changing their mind. I do all the time. The key as a columnist is the mea culpa. There is little in his case.

6. powerfuldragon

He just doesn't want to be wrong. Now, no matter what the texans do, Justice can say he told them so.

7. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Wasn't it Justice who wrote the RIP article on the Astros when they were 15-30 (or somewhere around there)? That one was an all-time classic.

8. powerfuldragon

didn't he then claim to have lit the fires in the astros bellies.

9. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Yes he did. That was the icing on the cake. It didn't have anything to do with Bagwell out of the lineup or Berkman getting healthy, did it? Nah, it is all about Richard Justice's article.

10. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Then turn around and say he never doubted them for a second.

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Actually after reading Justice's article, it looks more like a concession speech. He realizes we aren't taking Young, so he is accepting that Bush is the pick. He loved Bush prior to getting his just-short-of-Rich-Lord man crush on Young after the Rose Bowl. I wish more VY fans would realize that we are not taking the man.

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think most of them know that, as they are past the denial stage. Actually the Texans pick is now a foregone conclusion and the big talk now should be
    the second the Saints have and where ViY goes. I think there's a good chance someone moves up in a trade with the Saints to take either Leinert or
    VY.
    By the way, Justice just joined Lance and John on the 610 show this morning.

13. Chicagotexan1

Chicagotexan1 Hall of Fame

In a van down by the river next to another van dow
    That's what it sounds like to me. And I also wish more VY lovers would accept that Reggie Bush is the probable #1 pick. Assuming we keep the pick.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Ever since the Rose Bowl ..... I havent been able to make up my mind which player is a better fit for the LONG HAUL ..... The one thing I do know is that I wish Vince would'a stayed at Texas ..... The Horns would be the fav's to win it all again .... and we wouldnt have to listen to the VY / RB debate in every damn thread !:twocents:

As for Justice and McLain .... their mission is to sell papers , its a popularity contest with those guy's .... They dont really care if the team wins or loses as long as they have a juicy story to writ about ..... Anyone read what Mclain wrote the other day .... " I hope Vince goes to the Titans so the Texans can play against him twice a year and Ill have something to write about " .....

Popularity doesnt win football games .... It just sells papers , Tennis shoes , Cars , Beer ....or what ever ....... Then you and I (the consumer) pay more for it :crying: :brickwall

15. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Anyone hear the Mattress Mac call in to the 610 guys and Justice this morning? Mac was almost hysterical at the thought of the Texans not drafting Mr Young. Was kinda funny ....

16. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Damn, sorry to have missed that! Bet it was hilarious. "C'mon Texans, trade down! It'll save you MONEY!!!":)

17. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

Mr. Justice needs someone to interview for the next 6 years. He's not doing his career any favors politicking for the wrong guy. He knows it and is a realist. Nothing to do with who he likes. IMHO.

18. David's Busted Carr

David's Busted Carr Veteran

After everyone settles down from the Rose Bowl and looks at the whole picture, they will ALL realize Reggie Bush is the correct pick. It's a NO BRAINER! And I guarantee if Young didn't go to UT nobody here would even be thinking about him as the #1 overall pick.

19. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Damn, that was funny. I wonder if he was jumping up and down with money in his hands while he was ranting.

20. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

Actually, it was Jesus Ortiz who wrote the tombstone article. Justice was speaking of the entire Chronicle staff when he JOKINGLY took credit for the astros making it to the world series.

If you read today's entire article, though, he says that the Texans aren't drafting Vince Young, so it's a pointless argument at this point. I don't think he has flipped on the issue, he just seems resigned to the inevitable.