Richard Justice Defends Frank Bush

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IDEXAN, Dec 4, 2010.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The Texans had a really good defensive game plan. Got all kinds of pressure on Mike Vick. Sent him to the sidelines limping multiple times. But Vick made some extraordinary plays, and sometimes you have to give the other guy credit for just being really good.
    If the Texans play defense at this tempo the rest of the year, if they're this active at the line of scrimmage and if they bring these same blitz packages to the table, it's going to be tough for me to fire Frank Bush.

Yes, there were missed tackles all over the place, and there were some guys who were wide open. Are those breakdowns because Frank Bush failed to put people in the right spots, or because the Texans are throwing a lot of young guys out there and letting them grow on the job?
    http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustic...oustonchronicle/sportsjustice+(SportsJustice)
    %%
    I get a kick out of how Houston Chronicle writer Justice baits you guys, and then you go all nuts about what a jerk he is and how he dosen't know what he's talking about. Well here's another story that he wrote that should send your BP up a few clicks, since half the people in Houston want to blame the DC (the other half the HC), for the Texans problems. They got rid of the last DC, and how's that working out ? Right, the defense is still screwed-up.

2. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

all il say in bush's defence is that he showed last year he can co-ordinate a successful D if everybody plays competently for the most part.. something which hasnt really happened this year for long stretches especially in the secondary. whether he deserves to be fired for the players playing this way is another issue

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

good luck with that one :barman:

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I get it. STUFF runs downhill. The peons are the only ones to blame. The higher ups take no accountability. Sounds like a questionably structured organization............sounds like the Texans.:kitten:

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

The title of that article should just be "Yet Another Good Reason Not To Read Richard Justice", although I'm not particularly sure of the contents outside of the first post in this thread.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Looks like another member got baited by Justice again.:kubepalm:

7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Wow, this is how you get your jollies....real nice. Since you know everything but aren't willing to tell us, what is the problem then?

If it ain't the entire coaching staff I don't know what it is.

8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

"Do you want to revisit the Dunta Robinson decision? I don't think it was Rick Smith's finest hour. I think he should have been on the phone everyday trying to bridge the gap, trying to see if a deal could be done that satisfied both parties. But he did offer Dunta Robinson $23 million guaranteed, and he probably felt he did as much as he should have done."
    &&
    OK some of you may think the D-Rob/GM-Smith feud comes under the heading of "beating a dead horse", buts it's hard to deny the significant role that the Texans very inexperienced and very young secondary has played in the teams defensive failures this year is it ?
    Afterall Frank Bush may have passionately lobbied for the retention of D-Rob because he was the only DBack, certainly the only corner-back, who had any real gravitas and Bush may have felt Robinsons return for atleast one more year was essential to the Dbackfield working ? But as we know the outspoken Dunta had already alientated the the people in charge all the way up the organizational chart. But was that Bushs fault ? I don't think so.

9. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Worst defense in NFL history......anyone, bueller?

10. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

Just because Frank Bush was not able to fix the problems Richard Smith left behind does not mean it is on the players. It could also mean we have two coaches in a row who aren't competant in what they are doing. Was Arizona known for its tough defense?

Now if we get a DC in here with a sound reputation for building tough defenses and he fails then you need to look elsewehere, but until then "It's on him".

11. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

If you think your DC can't make a difference just look at what DeRuyter did for the Aggies in one year. He got them playing together as one unit - as a TEAM.

Our guys look lost and confused out there. Losing Barwin and Demeco really hurt our defense but we shoudln't be last in the league.

12. Mr. Texan

Mr. Texan I'm A Texan

it wasn't the players fault they played 20 yards off receivers on a goal line defensive stand vs. the jets :kitten:

13. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

I love how everyone yells for D-Rob...

This son of a ***** got ROASTED in the 2nd half of the season last year.

Made ATL's pass D great huh? 27th in the got damn league. Stop talking about this dude like he was Revis or Nnamdi. Hell, he's not even a Quentin Jammer.

buddyboy and Drew_Smoke like this.
  14. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

lol

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

This right here. Robinson is completely overpaid in atlanta and he has been just as mediocre as he was here. He is not the reason we are so terrible in the secondary. Now cutting Reeves and Bennett (keep at least one of them for christ sakes) for no good reason at all is having much more impact than losing Robinson (Which does have an impact).

Getting rid of Robinson was right because he wanted 10 a year. Getting rid of Reeves (and to a lesser extent Bennett) even though they were making less than half that just seems really silly.

16. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

This article is disappointing on so many levels, but mostly in the author's reply to some of the comments. I've never read Richard Justice's work before, but I know that one of the best ways to lose readership is to attack the readers of your work. Check out some of these posts/replies, it's truly amazing to me that a paper like the Chronicle does not tell him to delete the inflammatory comments as opposed to sinking to their level. Oh and the UT/UH slight in the second is just icing on the cake. What a tool, I'm sorry I gave this guy's page a hit.

17. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Guys, guys, guys. Don't let Richard Justice get you all riled up.

Most of his blog posts and columns are written as link bait. Over at the Chron, they track whose blogs get the most hits and the most comments. Justice starts a fire and gets people riled up just to draw people to his blog.

The problem is, he doesn't realize that, in the big picture, he's ruining his credibility as a sports writer. This is the worst defense in the history of the NFL, and he's saying it isn't that bad. That is going to bite him in the ass.

Jerome Solomon started a couple of his blog posts with "I'm not one to start a fire and run like other writers..." It was a clear shot at Justice. Don't take anything he says seriously.

18. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I think you're making Justuce's point for him, because he's not necessarily saying the departure of Dunta is why we have such a mess in the D backfield and therefor serious problems on the defense, which has more to do with inadequate personnel and not whoever the DC is. Maybe the departure of Reeves/Bennett is the biggest problem in the secondary ? The point is it's not the DCs fault if he's left with inferior players to prepare and compete against the NFLs best offenses, is it ?
    To my understanding there's only 2 players on the D that are here in large part because of Bushs input and influence - Antonio Smith, who he lobbied strongly for since he coached him in Arizona and Brian Cushing, who reportedly Bush felt could add a physicality to the D that hasn't been present. Re Smith, I would say he's arguably our most consistant DLineman, maybe our most consistant defensive player overall this year, and Cushing generally is considered to be a valuable addition though he's certainly hit some rough patchs in his Texans/NFL career this year.

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    At least Richard Smith had shitty players. Name one player from this defense that is worse than the equivalent in RS's defenses?

You want to call Shaun Cody/Travis Johnson a draw? Fine.
    Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Weaver
    Cushing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Greenwood
    Pollard/Wilson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Demps, C.C. Brown, Glenn Earl

but the results are the same. Suck, on an epic level.

20. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

There's only one other poster that ever admitted to getting a kick out of RJ and his writing style. Come to think of it, your posts look identical to his.

I'm starting to think this isn't your first time around on this board.

Hardcore Texan and Lucky like this.