RGIII has declined an invitation to work out for the Colts

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by pec0sb0b, Apr 3, 2012.

1. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

Colts owner Jim Irsay says via Twitter that Robert Griffin III has declined an invitation to work out for the team. Smart kid...

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Good.

But he has already come out and said that he wants to play for the Skins.

I wonder if the Colts were actually discussing whether or not they would take him....

3. Lurvinator11

Lurvinator11 Hall of Fame

His agent declined the offer.

Probably thinks they would be wasting their time, since Luck will go number 1.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Smart move. RGIII is an urban guy. He has the look, he has the swagger, and I wouldn't want him stuck in Indianapolis. Welcome to Hee-Haw if you want to be the Colts' QB. Luck should fit right in.

Plus, he would be forever compared to Manning.

Instead, he's in Washington...and he only has to do better than Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman did in their time with the Skins. That's not as bad as having to replace Peyton Manning, folks.

You never want to be the guy who replaces "the guy." You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced "the guy." Simple trick for success.

Plus, I don't want us chasing RGIII all over the field. We suck at stopping mobile QBs.

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

I posted this a few hours ago in the College Football forum, but Ill weigh in here too. I think your title is misleading. I doubt that RG3 doesnt want to play for the Colts. He just doesnt want to waste his time when he knows, I know, you know that the Colts are going Luck.

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Agree on the misleading title. Should be changed.

Per Twitter, RG3 will decline ALL workouts. Not just the Colts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/griffin-will-turn-down-all-private-workout-requests/

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Leave the title alone as we don't know what RG wants. I would not want to play for them but then I would not want to play for Washington either and both have kept my cell ringing.

8. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

The Colts just might shock everyone and go with RGIII. Why would they ask for a workout if they weren't interested? Strange things happen in the draft, as we all know.

Personally, I hope he becomes a SKIN!

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Mmkay, we don't know what he wants, but we want to keep "RGIII doesn't want to play for the Colts" as a title. Makes sense :rolleyes:

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

He has absolutely nothing to gain by working out for the Colts. I don't blame his agent one damn bit. The Colts know what he has, their call.

*EDIT*
    And yes, the title is misleading. The only person that wants something is RGIII's agent and the want is to not workout for the Colts.

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    If I was him, that would be the one team I made the exception for. They have the #1 pick, more money. Good on the Redskins for trading up to get me but I don't think they'll be filled with rage to get Andrew Luck. I want the #1 pick status. I want the money, the glory and all the fame and pressure that comes with it.

12. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't get the point in saying that his agent was the one that declined the invitation from the Colts...Yes, his agent is the one that actually has contact with the team, but do you guys think he's out there making decisions like this without consulting with his client?

And honestly, if I'm his agent I WANT him to workout for the Colts just on the slim chance that they see him in person are are blown away and decide to take him with the #1 overall and shock the world.

Obviously RG3 has his mind set on going to the Redskins.

Yeah, it likely would have been a huge waste of time, but I don't think the Colts would have wanted to bring him in for a workout if he hadn't piqued their interest at all.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

That's why I don't get people saying it was his agent...

No, that is not an agent decision...

RG3 told his agent to decline because he really wants to play for the Skins...

He does not want to play for the Colts. The end.

Doesn't matter if he declined all other invites because there is zero chance he's on the board after #2.

This is a small story because he will be on board when the first pick is made and he has declined to workout for that team.

14. SheTexan

RGIII's been interested in watching NCAA Women's Basketball! Baylor gals play for the championship tonight and no doubt RGIII will be there to support his "lady's!!"

15. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

I was more of the thought that RGIII and his agent know that the Colts front office are just doing their prep work in case Griffin does end becoming more successful than Luck. Even if it's only in their first year (Griffin winning rookie of the year over Luck), the Colts front office can at least say they worked Griffin out and did their homework. No can fault them for making a mistake and choosing Luck over Griffin, but at least no can say they didn't even try to check him out.

16. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

As a competitor, he should want to go in there and FORCE the Colts to reconsider their "sure choice" by blowing them away.

17. G27RR

G27RR WATTch Out!

As a competitor, he also wants to win and be successful in the NFL. He may feel the Redskins give him a better shot at that, especially in the next couple of years. The Colts are in full rebuilding mode and the Redskins aren't.

He may also prefer the offense he'd go to with the Skins.He had a long evening with Shanahan after his pro day. He and his fiancee have liked Shanahan since his Denver days. They've already brought in a new receiving corp that is young and can grow with Griffin over the next 5-6 years. He's got a good potential setup in Washington

He may just be angling to put himself in the best position to be successful, which is a lot smarter than trying to be the #1 pick just for the sake of being #1 - that short-term glory could quickly wear off with the Colts and a lackluster supporting cast.

18. SheTexan

Maybe the Eagles will trade up and snag him! Doubtful the Eagles want RGIII to go to the Skins! They got money to spend also, so who knows. MV is most likely on his way OUT! Just a thought!

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

His agent doesn't want RG3 to be used as a tool for the negotiations for Luck...He already knows a team has traded up to 2 to take him....why get used as a tool for the Colts in their negotiations with Luck? All that is going to do is potentially drive Lucks contract down a tad if the Colts use this as leverage in contract negotiations. He has nothing to gain in the draft or in his contract by doing this....it's a smart move.

Double Barrel likes this.
  20. Rey

Rey Guest

I agree with that logic...

But....

If everyone involved knows that the Colts are dead set on drafting Luck, how would that be a useful tactic?

If the Colts say, sign for this much or we'll draft RG3 why wouldn't the Luck camp just call their bluff?