Rey's Final 2012 Mock

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Rey, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

1) Kevin Zeitler

I really, really like Zeitler. And the more I read about him the more I'm sold on him as our first round pick. He is an absolute mauler in the run game, but he also has good footwork. I think he would be a day 1 starter at guard and Smith and Caldwell could compete for the other guard spot. I think Zeitler is going to be a starter for a long time in the league. I think he will be dominant.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695544/kevin-zeitler

[​IMG]

2)I'm going to trade down out of the second round and pick up a 3rd and another 4th.

I considered taking Brandon Thompson here. I really like Thompson, but I think Martin at the top of middle of the third along with an extra 4th rounder is better value for us. Which leads to my next pick...

3A)Mike Martin

I think Martin is perfect for Wades system. He is a relentless worker, a good penetrator, strong, long arms and he's a good kid. His wrestling background helps him with his leverage and he has above average agility for the position. He adds flexibility to the D-line as well. I think Martin is perfectly suited for Wades version of the 3-4 whereas he may struggle in a more traditional 34 defense.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630985/mike-martin

3B)Ladarius Green

Dorin Dickerson didn't work out, but moving Green to WR is exactly what I'd do. He has enough speed and agility to make the move and he definitely has the receiving/ball skills. At 6'6" and around 250 pounds he'd be a load for CB's to try to cover and he'd be an above average blocker for the position. Of course, the team would probably ask him to lose a little weight to get even quicker and faster. I'd let OD and Casey be the TE's for us and I'd try to ease Green into a WR role.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689653/ladarius-green

4A) Brandon Mosley

I like Mosley and we need more talent at OT. Butler could get injured, he may not be good enough, or he could be really good and not re-sign with us next off-season. Either way, Mosley is a good pick here for us and he could potentially be the future of the right side along with Zeitler.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1749916/brandon-mosley

4B)Ron Brooks

Brooks is primarily a pick to help Special teams coverage. He is an elite gunner on the Punt team. He is a good blitzer out of the nickel and dime position and has shown some good coverage ability. He would not be expected to be a big time contributor in regular sets, but instead be a special teams star.

http://draftace.com/blog/2012/04/13/ron-brooks-scouting-report/

4C) Marvin Jones

Should be a solid receiver at the NFL level. He may not be a star, but he should be a good receiver to have. He has good skills, a strong upper body to pull down balls in traffic and he has good speed. I think this pick makes Jacoby or Walter expendable this season or next.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/4/11/2940821/2012-nfl-draft-marvin-jones-scouting-report

5) Janzen Jackson

Has some red flags concerning character, but reading through the situation I think this is a guy the Texans would make an exception for. His is a coaches kid. He has tremendous talent and a good football acumen. He hits like a safety and displays good enough coverage to play some corner. I think he's a better player than Keo and I think he'd easily make the roster over him if Keo hasn't shown tremendous growth since last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664218/janzen-jackson

6) Randy Bullock

He's an Aggie, so he has that going for himself. He's also been a very good kicker at the college level. If the Texans draft him here and he becomes a long time fixture he will be well worth a 6th round pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632503/randy-bullock

7) Chad Diehl

Love Diehls game. He is a pounder in every sense of the word. He would allow Casey to assume more TE duties, and he would help to keep Foster clean in the running game. Diehl is a hammer. Watch some film of him. He relishes contact and looks to punish defenders.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1262940/chad-diehl

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed

You cant go wrong picking Zeitler.

What are the rest of the picks in your mock?

3. Rey

Rey Guest

More picks coming...I'm doing this on the fly and I'm really thinking about the picks.

4. Rey

Rey Guest

In summation:

1) Kevin Zeitler, OG
    3) Mike Martin, NT
    3) Ladarius Green, WR
    4) Brandon Mosley, OT
    4) Ron Brooks, CB
    4) Marvin Jones, WR
    5) Janzen Jackson, S
    6) Randy Bullock, L
    7) Chad Diehl, FB

Offense ruled this draft with special teams getting a boost as well. Defense got some help with Martin and potentially Brooks and Jackson.

The running game breathes a sigh of relief by getting an immediate starter in Zeitler and a pounding FB and Mosley as depth and maybe a future starter.

Martin helps the D-line and Brooks provides back end depth and ST help.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    eriadoc likes this.
  5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

1. Zeitler, he's a very good player but also a very safe pick because I think most would agree that he's pretty close to a can't miss pick. I just question if the value he offers in the 1st is enough to offset the value offered by an OG in the 2nd or 3rd.
    2. You say that you like Thompson here but then trade him away for a 3rd and 4th. I think your over thinking this a bit to much, don't get cute or fancy take the player you really like in the 2nd. The value of Thompson in the 2nd is greater than that of a mid round TE that your trying to convert to a position he's not familiar with and a mid round CB that likely only sees the field on special teams. The future anchor of your D-line is more important.
    3a. Martin, I'm still not fully behind this guy but I have to give him credit for lots of hustle and I'm very slowly warming up to Martin as a Texan.
    3b. Green, if you like what Green does enough at TE to draft him in the 3rd then leave him at what he does best. Don't over think it.
    4a. Mosley, I love this pick, starter at RT in 2013.
    4b. Brooks, to early for taking a guy just to play special teams.
    4c. Jones, I love this pick if available, but don't understand taking a special teams player ahead of a guy who could possibly start in a year or be your #3 WR this year.
    5. Jackson, I think he's got potential but to many red flags for the Texans.
    6. Bullock, I really like this pick as well.
    7. Diehl, I think we can get him as an UDFA, no need to use a draft pick here.

Sorry but you've done better in the past.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I think an easier position for green to transition to in the NFL would be wr. He has the ability and measureables for the position. I believe he can be dominant at the position, mores than many of the wr's we'll have a crack at. 6'6", low 4.5 speed, great hands, good route runner. He could be an absolute freak of a wr.

And I think Martin is a good player that would make a lot of plays in this defense. I think that because of his athleticism he'd be a good fit here.

Brooks is not just a special teams guy. Yes I'm taking him mainly for his beastly st ability in his first year, but he has shown good coverage skills as a corner as well. If McCain gets hurt or slips Brooks is a possibility there in the future. Combine that with the fact that he's an impact special teams player and I think he's well worth the pick.

Yes I took one guy with character concerns in the 5th round. If he doesn't work out, who cares he was a fifth rounder. If he does you have a steal. And while he's had some character concerns I think it's been things that he could bounce back and mature from. I think the potential reward greatly outweighs the risk.

I also disagree with your take on Diehl. He's a stud battering ram full back. Other teams have access to udfa's too ya know. No guarantee that you will just get who you want and if you like a guy and think he can be a day 1 starter, a 7th round pick is excellent value.

Not to mention that he too plays special teams.

I disagree with your last sentence too. I think this is the best draft I've put together yet and I think it helps boost all three units with offense and special teams getting the most help.

But I do appreciate the feedback.

Wolf6151 likes this.
  7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

your mind is completely fried dude, I know- been there done that but you seriously need to get a 12pk of something strong & chill :drunk:
    your stuff is lunatic crazy, think I'll trade a late 2nd & pick up a 3rd & 4th. But I'll tell you what despite dumping on our first round pick Coby Fleener & you take Kevin Zeitler, I'm going to give you a rep for effort, how's that for being a sport :)

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

just as soon as I can give you another one :ahhaha:

9. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Got it for you. :fingergun: