rest of the season?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dat_boy_yec, Nov 28, 2005.

1. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

We only have 5 games left in the season. I honestly dont see the point in saying lets get as many wins as possible anymore. So I would like to know what everyone thinks we should do with the rest of the season. Personaly I think this is a good opportunity to evaluate the talent our team has. I think that all the players should be allowed to see the field and be evaluated in real games. This makes sense to me because this way we can see who is dead weight and who is worth keeping. For instance Banks and Ragone, are either of them worth keeping I dont know I havent seen them play, there are many Ragone and Banks supporters out there so now would be a good time to play them. Morrency and Wells, wells is a good running back, but my question mark is on morrency, he played decently when he played but I think this presents a good opportunity to see if Morrency has improved and can indeed be the Texans future back, IF he shows promise in these last games againts loosing teams then maybe we're ok at rb and can pass on Bush. However if he does not then the question of upgrading at rb can be addressed. Basically I think it would be wise to do this with every position. I think this would probably be a better time to shuffle players around like the line and whatnot and see what works and what doesnt. I think this should be done now because if its not at the end of the season there will still be question marks on where the improvement needs to be most and what will and wont work.

2. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

I think we should try to get as many wins as possible. I dont care which pick we get just get the best playmaker for our team whenever we draft. Ragone and Banks have not earned the right to play so they should not. Yes Morency, Mathis, Armstrong, and many of our Defensive players need to get some reps in order to evaluate the talent on this team. I think we need to bring in some prospects for GM or some consultants to evaluate the talent on this team in order to know specific holes that we can fill this offseason for our new coaching staff. The draft Bush camp is great, but we should never drop games on purpose. If we want to keep a team and stay as a viable center for football we need to put up wins. That gets you on the national stage. We win 4 games and we will still likely get a prime time game against the Cowgirls.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Many have been asking for this since last year. But this is Houston and change equals liberal, stay the course equals conservative. We will eat cake and be burnt to a crisp next opening home game. The roof will be open as a reminder that the citizens of Houston are privileged to have paid for a great stadium.

Had to get that one out, the wife just asked me to take out the garbage and I was not in a happy place.

4. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

I Agree personally.. maybe play the starters to the middle of the 3rd Quarter and then put in the back ups.. I know Banks is a good solid back QB.. we know Wells is a decent back.. we all know Armstrong and Mathis have potential.. so lets see who we should keep and who we shouldnt keep who knows we might even be able to get rid of Gaffney and Bradford and start Armstrong and Mathis in their places next season without a problem.

I like that guys Shantae Orr he seems to keep his head in the game and has a good motor to come after the QB with.. havent seen him much in coverage though but that's what this little evaluation period could do for us..

5. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I never said we should throw games, I just meant we should change focus. The reason I mentioned Ragone and Banks was exactly what you said they dont deserve to play, but if Carr gets injured they will have to play, I would feel better if they got a shot now because we have a soft schedule. We give Carr some much deserved rest, and at the end of the season we can say Ragone or Banks your play was bad, dont expect a future with this team and maybe draft a new QB in the later rounds as a solid backup. We have 2 bad backup QBs i think we should get rid of the worst one. It would be nice to win a game or two but I think evaluating the team right now should be our main focus.

6. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

Try a 4-3 it couldn't be worse and see what happens. It won't happen though that would be like admitting we were struggling. :heh:

7. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

We don't really have the right personnel to move to a 4-3 right now.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

It is my opinion that the reason why we have not sat Carr is that he is on display for the whole league. I do not believe a decision has been made on re signing him. If there was one why would, as Carr lovers say, we be putting him at the risk of getting injured for these meaningless games?

9. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

He is on display for all everyone. We will likely resign him, but we want to get the most analysis of him as possible. It took the Browns 5 years to give up on Couch. Well I think that is what is happening with Carr. We will see if he can get the job done, we will see it next year though under a new coach and a better defense.

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If you take the long-term perspective, and I do, winning any more games this year is clearly counter productive.

11. billtxus

billtxus Rookie

What they should do is start evaluating players for next year. Play some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers, and anyone on special teams who looks like that have the heart to play. This means also playing Ragone for a game to see how he does. That's not what Dom is going to do because he thinks he is fighting for his job. He will keep the starters in through the last game.

12. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Before the last couple weeks, we didnt have the right personnel for the 34 either...

13. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

How is winning ever counter productive. Come on man there are players to draft in every draft and quality players for that matter. There is no one player in this draft that will turn our team into winners so how would winning be counter productive. Nun I really want you to explain this in an extensive way so that I can understand.

14. abbest

abbest Veteran

Pass up on Bush Hahahahahaa What u smoking? Morency will be a career backup and so will Double D once we get Bush

15. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

That Morency pick was brutal...

16. billtxus

billtxus Rookie

Really? We sure don't have the right personnel for a 3-4, how could it be worse?

17. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

Stick with the 3-4... give mathis, armstrong some extended reps. the thing is we dont really have any talent worth developing. who on our team is gonna benefit from playing time that isn't getting it? other than Mathis or maybe morrency who will take from Davis there is nothing. and Carr needs to keep playing to keep any value he has(as a trade commodity or staying here)

18. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

John Lopez had similar thoughts on what we should do the remaining part of the season.

Lopez's thoughts

19. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

What are the benefits of winning now?

The playoffs are done.

The Morale is already as low as it can be.

Players dont trust the coaches. Players don't trust each other. Players don't trust themselves.

Whats the point?? Fans want championships. Owners want championships. Everybody does. A 1-15 season wont get you a championship, neither will a 6-10 season.

By going in the tank, you ensure yourself the biggest and best rebuilding chip in the league. You get another "face of the franchise" who instantly gives your team more hope. A player who puts more butts in seats. If you choose to move down, you pick up more picks or players who can come in and make a difference.

This just in, there are A LOT of holes on this team. Winning now and moving down in the rebuilding process will NOT help this team one bit.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

What are the benefits of being a fan of the draft more than the fan of the team? What happens next year if we can't turn it around in one year? Look forward to the 2007 draft? The next thing you know you are pulling for your team to lose for two years straight. That's just so weak.