Report: Watt’s cut could lead NFL to adopt blood rule

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Double Barrel, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

[​IMG]

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Eh, I kinda blow this off due to coming from Mike Pereira and PFT. They speculate and they're wrong half the time anyway.

However, your overall point (picture) remains true

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yeah , the whole damn game has changed ... cant hit anyone anymore. Game is run by $$$ now , not the men who played it before.

4. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

The reason the NBA and NHL have a blood rule is because they are playing on slippery surfaces made worse by moisture, aka blood

5. robroy72

robroy72 Veteran

This is the injury that led to Soccer having a blood rule, if I remember right!

[​IMG]

6. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Also Magic Johnson had the HIV virus and still played in some NBA games late in his career? What would the NFL do if an openly HIV positive player was playing and they still didn't have a rule in place? I personally think it's ridiculous that a rule isn't already in place.

7. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

Looks like he's doing fine. Let the boys play, ref!

8. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

This. I rarely agree with these kind of things, but this one I do. Just think of how many guys in the NFL have diseases they could transmit to other players.

The NFL will probably make a rule change. However, my problem is the NFL will make a ruling based on image (oh no, blood on TV!), not player safety. As usual.

9. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

This...this is why I think Condaleeza Rice should have been made commissoner of the NFL rather than Godell's punk ass. If you're bleeding you have to leave? It's FOOTBALL damn it! If some a-hole gives you a cheap shot and you're bleeding but WANT to go back in...go back in. This is SUPPOSED to be a MAN'S GAME! IESVS GODELL! Get your ISHT together.

10. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

If he would of only rubbed some dirt on it, the rule would never have had to have been made !!

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Fine. You want a blood rule? Then let the players wear the new, more protective face masks. Goodell blocked their use this offseason.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The sad part is that the NFL was built on images by NFL Films showing the brutality of the sport.

We grew up watching those films that celebrated hard hits and dudes giving blood, sweat, and tears for the game.

Who can forget this picture of Y.A. Tittle

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_anqVy8b414Q/TRAjVlHZYnI/AAAAAAAADm8/5A1Q9ODFK80/s1600/9787.jpg[/IMG]

Or the famous picture of Dick Butkus' bloody hands, here painted into a piece of ART:

[​IMG]

Now the league is so worried about image because of corporate sponsors that they wring their hands over sock height, untucked uniforms, and other irrelevant nonsense.

Yeah, they will end up passing a blood rule, justifying it because of infectious diseases, but the reality will be due to image.

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

just want to put my sig in this thread.

14. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

[​IMG]

Ole Chuck would not make it in today's NFL. Maybe he'd kill Goodell, though.

15. markn

markn All Pro

No, not specifically. But it was a memorable occasion. Terry butcher in a wc qualifying game against Sweden. He got cut, had stitched and went back in. He plays in central defence and kept heading out the ball as was his role. The wound reopened and the photos were amazing, the white England shirt making it more memorable.

There's an even more iconic shot with him all wild eyed out there.

Edit: found it!

[​IMG]

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The NFL's present policy, for anyone interested.

As an aside, I fail to see how NFL clubs can maintain "universal healthcare precautions," which specifically include preventative use of hand hygiene, use of gloves, gown, mask, eye protection, or face shield.:cool: