Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by CloakNNNdagger, Apr 21, 2014.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Smoke screen or valid is the question?

'
    link

2. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

If true, trade back should be on the table.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I put it under the "meh" category. Pre-draft talk to drum up trade value.

4. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

In fact, it’s almost like the kind of thing that gets out there on purpose this time of year, as the Texans hope that someone calls a Friend of Rick Smith and says “Hey, if you don’t want that pick, we do.”
    Well if so, then why not just wait for him to fall into your lap if the Texans aren't interested ?
    Not that I buy these kind of stories, but the logic escapes if it's meant to be a strategy to induce a trade. Seems the desired approach would be for the Texans to express a strong preference for the most sought after player in the Draft if they are looking to flush out a trading partner.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

MMQB
    Last week it was Rick wanted Teddy Bridgewater, O'Brien wanted Clowney, and McNair wanted Manziel.

This week it's Rick wants Mack, does not want QB, but might go Robinson.

Clear as mud..... 17 days.

[IMGwidthsize=200]http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/news-articles-driver-education-safety/1297598d1383965525-fog-alert-driving-fog-when-visibility-turns-bad-tumblr_me6aazet3z1rvn6njo1_500.gif[/IMG]

HOU-TEX likes this.
  6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Trading is always "on the table' for the team with a pick, it is finding someone to sit down with said team at the table. in a draft with no sure fire number 1, but several rounds of solid depth, I would not be trading up to that position.

7. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

An advertisement that Clowney is available to any team that wants him?

8. ArlingtonTexan

I would rather the Texans take whatever player they had the most conviction for than taking Clowney or QB because "the rest of the of the world"

9. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

Considering most of my stuff gets done this week school wise, it's going to be a long wait till the draft.

10. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

There are people in the know that also agree. Enough to give this credibility and make it a valid argument

11. powda

powda Hall of Fame

And the next leak will be Robinson and the next will be Watkins. Listen up NFL, we're targeting the player you want. If you want him your going to have to trade with us.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would prefer Rick Smith not have anything to do with the draft or for that matter the Texans org. 2-14.

13. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

I concur.

14. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

Then just for ****s and giggles ... we draft Watkins.

15. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

I'd be cool with that.

16. Playoffs

Pretty sure that's how they'll do it, no? I don't think the Texans will be drafting on a consensus of other people's opinions.

Question is, who makes the choice? If it's QB (or even offense) I think we can agree that's OB 's domain. But who's choosing if it's a defensive player? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As to the Mack attack, I wonder if there's a team who'd trade up to #1 for Mack? ... So they dangled this tidbit out there to give them a nudge to make an offer. No "secrets" make it to Peter King this time of year. Oops, I accidentally revealed our draft strategy to the biggest NFL writer in the country. Sorry, Rick.

Looking forward I expect to be reading about Teddy's gang affiliation, Blake's crack addiction, Manziel's broken arm, Clowney's broken legs, and Mack & Robinson as roommates in a psychiatric hospital last summer. :kitten:

17. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Based on the reading of the interview McClain did with O'Leary and others, the one consistent piece of advice O'Brien received from multiple mentors is, "Make sure you're in charge." I highly suspect that this is the case, same as it was with Kubiak and Smith remains O'Brien and McNair's make it happen guy.

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

You should put that in your signature block...just so you can stop beating that dead horse. :deadhorse

19. ArlingtonTexan

We have actually swung the door too far the other way in terms of thinking about smokescreens. It is like a poker player who gets a reputation as a 'bluffer," when other players always read bluff, the best play is to tell the truth, since nobody is believing you anyway.

20. Playoffs

I bet the "trade into 1-1" phone has not rung one time yet, with the draft pushed back. Other than the good-hair brothers already having a conditional trade in place, I don't think much will happen until the week of the draft. Playing chicken. [IMGwidthsize=30]http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?avatar=3871.gif[/IMG]