Replays

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanhead08, Oct 31, 2011.

1. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

There are a lot of people ripping Kubes because of his low percentage of wins on challenges, but you rarely see any calls overturned so the real question is why have it. John Gruden said tonight on MNF they should just get rid of it because it delays the game and why have it when calls are blown and they just won't change the call.

2. Kthx

Kthx All Pro

I think they should have a replay-ref who isn't involved in the actual game at all but whose sole duty is to do replays on challenges. I think a majority of the time the ref who does the challenge is biased because he doesn't want to go against what his crew called or swallow his own ego and go against what he thought the play was originally. Just my two cents.

3. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

I haven't seen the replay from CBS but the replay they showed in the stadium, Walter's toe looked inbounds.

4. BorrowMe

BorrowMe Rookie

Nope, it was out of bounds

5. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

They wouldn't even have to be at the game. It could be randomly assigned, or an odd number panel of judges vote, with a majority rule.

6. Kthx

Kthx All Pro

Either way, they just need to get the ego element out of it I think.

7. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

They made the right call. Walter didn't get the second foot down until after it hit white

8. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I thought they got both calls right yesterday. Replay needs to stay but I agree that it needs to go to a ref who's in the booth.

9. Farough

Farough Site Contributor

I think that the replays should be done like they are in college. If there is a questionable play that's very close then a replay official up in the booth buzzes down to the head referee. The replay official then tells the ref what the correct call is.

This would take away from all the confusion that some of the coaches have when it comes to replays.(Challenging plays that you aren't able to challenge) which also adds more time to the games.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yesterday, Andy Reid got two calls overturned, iirc. Some staffs are good at it and some staffs aren't.

I like having plays reviewed, I just don't know that they've found the best way to do it, yet. If they can come up with a better, more elegant way to get the plays called correctly -- great. But I'm just fine with it as it is.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think they need to get rid of challenges all together. Put a ref in the booth, a supervisor if you will. If he sees a play that is close... or flat out wrong, he rings a buzzer, tells the referee, review it, or that it's just plain wrong.

Missed calls continue to be missed calls.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

At the stadium, both replays they showed looked to be indisputable & we thought they were going to over turn both.

So, while I know people like to pile on Gary, those two, I think he did the right thing with the information he had.

13. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Sitting at home I KNEW he would lose both challenges immediately so he needs to get better information than crowd noise (when do they ever think a challenge shouldn't be thrown) and a glance at the jumbotron. Emotion from the game should have nothing to do with his decision.

There needs to be someone up in the booth that can make an unbiased and quick decision on these things. If we currently have a guy doing this job, I'm sorry but he probably needs to go.

14. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Is there some site that keeps up with current coaches challenge percentage?

They said on 790 this morning than Kubiak has challenged 35 plays as a coach and lost 25 of them. That seems pretty bad.

15. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Idk what it looked like in the stadium but you could obviously hear the cheer from the crowd when Gary threw the red flag on both occasions. I knew the Kevin Walter catch was not going to be overturned because there was not enough info to overturn it. The Ben Tate fumble was close, but once again not enough evidence to overturn it. I think the Jags may have potentially missed a chance to overturn a call on an Owen Daniels catch. After the catch was made by OD you could see the Texans coaches on the sideline telling them to snap the ball fast. Idk if it was or wasn't a catch, but that could've been a big play for the Jags.

16. The Pencil Neck

I'm still looking for stats but as of 2008, there had been 2067 challenges and 916 reversals.

I haven't turned up anything else.

17. The Pencil Neck

I went back and looked and the OD catch actually looked like it was good. If Del Rio had challenged that, I think he would have burned a time out, too.

18. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Thanks. OD has amazing hands, so it's more than likely he made the catch clean.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The overturn ratio is roughly half across the NFL. That means the refs make some bad calls, especially when you consider that a fair number of the half that are upheld are dumb challenges anyway (Kubiak). Leave instant replay as it is.

20. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

I am surprised to hear he is that successful. I am at every game and I have never seen him win one.