Remember that rookie qb from Harvard?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Shaft75, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I know, I know... We have had a rough time this year as fans. Mainly from our homefield chokefest when the Colts came to town.

But remember in November 2005 when we played the St. Louis Rams at our house? It was the origin for our Texans' late game giveaways.

Jaime Martin was the starting qb for the Rams that day and was knocked out of the game. Then strolled in a 7th round rookie qb out of Harvard, Ryan Fitzpatrick, to take the helm in a certain Texans rout of the Rams. It would be the home team's 2nd win in 11 games. I think the score was 24-3 after the half.

I could ramble all day about the horrific events that unfolded afterward. But I am no journalist and well, it's a game that I have tried to forget. Basically he came in and mounted a comeback that included scoring a td and field goal with less than 45 seconds left to play in regulation to knot the game up and send it into OT. Fitzpatrick also slammed the door shut when he hit Kevin Curtis for a 50-something yard td pass, causing a Texan's sudden death loss.

It is now October 2008 and Fitzpatrick is leading the winless Bengals into town this Sunday. Do not think that the national or local media has forgotten about this. I am sure it will be mentioned several times before and during the game.

For God's sake Texans Defense... PLEASE pay this guy back.

I know things have been tough this year, but you owe this one to your loyal fans. We deserve nothing less than at least a couple of picks and a couple of sacks.

PLEASE pressure this guy ALL DAMN DAY LONG. Go out and grab that win back for us. We deserve it and so do you!

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

That's it. We're gonna lose. :cool:

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

No we won't. Think positive. It's time for a little payback (even though I don't think there's more than a handful of Texans from that team left).

I saw this guy again yesterday against the Steelers for a bit and he is infinitely mortal. If the Texans lose to the Bungles Sunday they need look no further than the mirror for the person to blame.

On a side note am I the only person who hates playing winless teams. It's like the pressure is doubled on our team trying not to be the first ones to lose to those guys and at the same time the winless teams kind of get into this loose, anything goes "zone" where they're so hungry for a win they'll try anything. I sure wish the Bungles had found a way to beat somebody by now. Like the Loins I think they're going to be very dangerous Sunday.

disaacks3 likes this.
  4. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

What happened to Carson Palmer? That elbow problem?

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

That's great. Just awesome.. Shaft just shafted us by bringing up that old abomination.. Thanks man. Way to start my week off on a positive note...

Geeeeeeeeez!!!

6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Yup. Peter King says he's pretty much done for the year.

7. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Thanks. Too bad..if I'm remembering right he had some horrible knee problem as well not long ago.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

he's small & has a hard time seeing lanes in the pocket, more dangerous in the open field. So Mario & Co. need to contain & disrupt (sacked 7 times this weekend) if flushed out he's got three lethal weapons to throw to - Ocho Cinco, Housh & Henry.

Their standout rookie OLB Keith Rivers is out for the season with a broken jaw so the Texans still should be able to outscore the Bengals.

I think they are a completly different beast than Detroit. Rod Marinelli is hard nosed & conservative for whatever the reason will hide players on the bench it seems coming off poor practice weeks while Marvin Lewis has lost team control years ago of established Pro Bowl rich roster.

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Orlovsky threw for 265 yards with 1 TD against us. I think Fitzpatrick is more than capable of surpassing that amount. Especially against our defense. :gun:

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Fitzpatrick has looked bad with the Bengals. I am amazed that he ever had a good game in the NFL. Then again, it was only one game, and it was against us, so go figure. We should be able to handle the Bengals and Fitzpatrick handily. Fitzpatrick is no Dan Orlovsky, after all.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Isn't it sad that we've been diminished to the point that we can make such a statement.

12. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Somebody get this man a beer, or a shot... NOW!

13. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I'm glad I drank away the entire 2005 Texans season... :drunk:

14. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I sat behind the bench that game. I have never felt as bad for players as I did that day. Yeah, they make a lot of money, but when they walk around, everybody knows they play for the Texans. If you are defined by your job, and your job is playing for a bad football team, it has to wear on you.

It was a nice game until it was an awful game. Some guys had already started taking the tape off. You have to play until the zeros. Every. Time.

15. David_Carr

David_Carr Rookie

The 56 yard bomb to Curtis was bad (Curtis continued through the End Zone and ran right up the tunnel with the entire St. Louis bench in tow, no post game on field celebration), but what began the collapse that day was a 43 yard 4th down bomb to Isaac Bruce down the Texans sideline.

I certainly don't expect Fitzpatrick to duplicate that effort even with an equally talented receiving corps at his disposal in Cincy.

He was 19 of 30 for 310 yards and 3 TD's...and sacked 5 times.

/Memo to Mario fan, he was sacked 5 times in Reliant.

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  18. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

AJ at the end was painful. That must have sucked.

19. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I didn't feel completely awful after that game. We were in a suite so it wasn't all bad :D

20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Why? Has the 2008 Texans defense played particularly smart football this year, especially at the end of games? The 2005 version of the Texans secondary had a healthy Dunta Robinson. The 2008 version has a rusty one.

Detroit has one of the worst offenses in the league, even before they gave up Kitna and Williams. You can't assume anything with the Texans defense other than the Texans are doomed unless they get smarter faster.