Remaining RB options

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Dallas_Texan, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

Chris Brown TEN
    TJ Duckett DET - picked up by SEA?
    Tatum Bell DET
    Julius Jones DAL - picked up by DET?
    Derrick Ward NYG
    Ron Dayne HOU
    Warrick Dunn ATL

People keep talking like Dayne is already set to come back, but he's not. You're GM, and we have plenty of money left in the Cap. Who do you pick up to go with Green, Taylor, Walker?

I like Tatum Bell here, but Dayne already knows our Denver Bay hybrid system.

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

The hybrid system is gone. We are going to run a pure ZBS now.

3. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Per McClain, we're not bringing Dayne back. Out of that group, my guess is that we settle for Bell. Nepotism is a difficult beast to tame.

4. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

hate all of those. Warrick Dunn in 08!

5. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Out of that group I'd prefer Ward of Jones, and I don't particularly like Jones. The rest seem like cast-offs to me.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Duckett just signed with Seattle.
    Dayne's probably not coming back.
    I've heard that Jones is going to Detroit but I'm not sure that's real.

I wouldn't mind Tatum Bell. I think we should at least talk to Mike Anderson. Warrick Dunn's age scares me, but if we lose Dayne... I don't mind plugging Dunn in for Dayne if the price is right.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Julius Jones is now a Lion. Take him off the list.

I like Cris Brown. However this thread makes more of a point to getting Dunn. All these guys suck or are injury prone. Dunn would be better than all of them.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

A rookie from the draft. :cool:

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Dunn is an upgrade over Dayne. Dunn will be in better physical shape when he is 40 than Dayne has ever been in his life.

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

This guy
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

[​IMG]

11. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Out of that group I like Ward prolly the most.

12. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Agreed on the Mike Anderson bit. He did well in the ZBS up in Denver and he didn't see many carries in Baltimore. If we're going to bring in a RB, why not him? Apparently Dunn is on record saying that he wants to go to a team that is going to be in the playoffs. Now, no slight to us, but I reckon he means a team that gives him an almost definite chance to get deep in the playoffs. Sadly, I don't think any of us think that is us.

So, if you want to upgrade Dayne with another veteran back then why not bring in Anderson?

For what its worth, I'm still scratching my head on what we're doing at RB. We've got Ah!-Mah-knee! Green who's a bit of a question mark after last year. Dayne-Train appears to be gone even though he was our most consistent of all our inconsistent backs. Chris Taylor who we've not heard a peep from since tearing his patellar tendon last year and Darius "Fivehead" Walker.

If they sign a veteran retread like Mike Anderson or Warrick Dunn, then you have to wonder what the plan is. Could they really be looking to draft a rookie and go to camp with Rookie A, Green, Retread to be named later, Taylor, and Walker?

13. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I've been saying Ward is the best option for a while. Even before Turner signed with ATL, I wanted Ward more because he won't break our bank...
    I think he would do pretty well for us.

14. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

As mentioned in another thread, there's a decent chance Shaun Alexander may get released from the Seahawks. Not saying he'd be a fit here or we'd want him but there's a name of a RB since we most likely won't hear anything for a while as far as us actually signing a RB.

Also, Denver has Travis Henry, Mike Bell, and Selvin Young as probably their top 3 RB's? Wonder what the chance is they cut Andre Hall (South Florida). He's 5'8, 212lbs (averaged almost 5 yards per carry on 44 carries last year, 2 TD's and 1 Fumb. also 2 receptions for 69 yards) How many RB's does denver generally carry??

I have a feeling we're setting ourselves up for dissappointment if we keep talking about the current 'stop gap' RB's or those that we'd have to trade for/give up picks for. I have a strong feeling we're not going to sign a RB most are pleased with until teams start releasing more players.

I see picking up a FA RB, drafting one, and looking at another as a UDFA. Dayne is being rumored to no be re-signed?, so that leaves Green, Walker, and Taylor as the competition. I don't see Green getting cut unless we have a solid veteran RB that is our starter already signed up.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I like Derrick Ward as well and he may be a guy worth sending a 7th rounder to NY for because he's a RFA. It just worries me that he suffered a broken leg 3 months ago. Any news how he's recovering?

Also, any news on Chris Taylor's recovery?

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.

17. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

ROD "HE HATE ME" SMART!

Get it done, Rick Smith!

18. scourge

scourge Digression King

I'd say just wait and get one in the 3rd round. I still say the first round should be cb/fs.

19. brickman

brickman Rookie

EXACTLY!!!! We don't need or want anybody's castoffs!

20. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Tatum Bell is a terrible blocker, has been knocked for a lack of toughness, and is really nothing more than a glorified 3rd down back. He had a chance to be the featured back for Detroit last year - but the Lions COULDN'T WAIT for an above average player AT BEST like Kevin Jones to come back and reclaim his job.

No, no, no to Tatum Bell.