Reggie's Test

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by thunderkyss, Aug 22, 2006.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So far, we've had two preliminary looks at this guy. Some think he'll never be anything.... Some think he's on track to be inducted into the HOF after his rookie season. We all know it will be years before we'll know if he's the real deal or not. But...... which game do you think will be the test this year??

56 yards on 9 touches (or whatever it was) in the preseason isn't much of a gauge of anything..... 4 touches against Dallas isn't enough for an honest evaluation.

The regular season is coming up. Which games are the real test??

9/10 at Cleveland 12:00 PM CT
    09/17 at Green Bay 12:00 PM CT
    09/25 Atlanta 7:30 PM CT
    10/01 at Carolina 12:00 PM CT
    10/08 Tampa Bay 12:00 PM CT
    10/15 Philadelphia 12:00 PM CT
    BYE
    10/29 Baltimore 12:00 PM CT
    11/05 at Tampa Bay 12:00 PM CT
    11/12 at Pittsburgh 12:00 PM CT
    11/19 Cincinnati 12:00 PM CT
    11/26 at Atlanta 12:00 PM CT
    12/03 San Francisco 12:00 PM CT
    12/10 at Dallas 12:00 PM CT
    12/17 Washington 12:00 PM CT
    12/24 at N.Y. Giants 12:00 PM CT
    12/31 Carolina

2. real

real Guest

Baltimore....If he can be productive against them he's ok...

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

1 game doesn't mean anything. Amazing players sometimes have down games. Terrible players sometimes have great games. Check in with him at the end of the season, and compile all his stats together. If he has a significant number of carries, then you can judge him

4. real

real Guest

get...outta....town....Well then you could say that one season doesn't mean anything...wait till the end of his career....get...outta...town....he was just asking what game would be his biggest test this season...basically what game would be the best judge of his skills...

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

No thanks, I like it here.

6. santo

santo Hall of Fame

I would have to say against Carolina.

But they are probably going to run him away from Peppers. That is just a guess though, but it will be interesting to see if Peppers can stop him.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

that's exactly what I'm saying... I have no doubt that he'll get some highlights out of the Clevland and GB games..... but what will that prove??

Baltimore, Atlanta, Dallas, and quite a few others on this years schedule will be a pretty good test.

8. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Agree, I think Carolina's defense will be the first "major test". Though the first true game in regular season will be a good start point of reference as well.

9. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

There's a reason New Orleans was picking 2nd in this year's draft. If Reggie doesn't have a great game at any point in this season, does that mean he's a flop?

If the excuse about the offensive line has been valid for 4 years for David Carr, why does Reggie have to prove anything this year? Won't he need support from his teammates just as well?

10. real

real Guest

yep.

11. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Reggie should be traded to the skins, How long is portis out again?:crying:

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Good point....... but before last night, the Saints were pretty proud of their OL...... with Jamal Brown graduating to LT and all...

but you do make a good point.

then again, we asked the Saints fans what kind of a line they had for Reggie to run behind, and they laughed at us.......

ironic.............. no??

13. Haams

Haams All Pro

I'm still lost trying to figure out what is a successfull season for Bush. Does he need to show he can average around 4 yards per carry? Does he need to show he can turn the corner reguarily on an NFL defense? or does he need to show he can turn the corner occasionally? Maybe, just that he doesn't get hurt? Opinions are so varied on him (at least on this board) that it's hard to know which game is a "test" for him untill you know what is a passing grade.

14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Now, c'mon, Huge, your using logic. That's not allowed!

Good point, though. Hope everyone can keep it in mind (even in the face of ESPN's RB lovefest this year).

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If last nights game was any indication, all he has to do to remain one of ESPNs top cause celebs is to suit up, step on the field, and take enough snaps to get 4 or 5 touches and average something, just about anything over 1.5 yards per carry.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well, the logic might need a little refinement in this particular case. The Texans sucked too but the OL for run blocking was far better than for pass blocking. The Saints were mid pack for rushing last year 105 ypg with a 4.0 ypc average using Antowain Smith as their chief RB. His 4.0 ypc average last year was his highest average since his rookie year.

The New Orleans OL has 3 1st rounders a 2nd rounder and a 4th this year.

17. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

He needs to leap tall buildings in a single bound, be faster than a speeding bullet, more powerfull than a locom........no.... wait.........that's another player I'm thinking about....:superman:

Carry on.

:coffee:

18. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

Panthers.

19. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

10/01 at Carolina 12:00 PM CT
    10/29 Baltimore 12:00 PM CT
    11/12 at Pittsburgh 12:00 PM CT
    12/10 at Dallas 12:00 PM CT

I'm w/ LYB - These four ought to tell the tale, not just for the esteemed Mr. Bush, but for the "vaunted" Saints O-Line as well.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This is true. But RB is being billed as the next Gayle Sayers, so I would imagine that people expect 2,000+ yards out of him from the beginning.

But good points on run blocking and the Saints. It should be interesting to watch this year. I've always liked the Saints as an NFC team, because they were easy to feel sorry for in the past (always coming up short worse than our Oilers used to). I'd like to see them grab a division title and make some noise in the playoffs, irregardless of the bashing our FO will take if/when RB has a great year.