Reggie Now-Trade Down- Peterson Next Year

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Frank_The_Tank, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

For all the fans who think we need a rookie Running Back here is my argument at to why I feel the best route to take is to pass on Bush and take Peterson next year.
    O.K. when you sit here and evaluate the situation, the Texans have a chance to do the smart thing. First off, if you take Bush this year, realisticly we all do not know if he is ever going to be able to carry 20 + carries a game. He never has so we don't know. The pick is risky no matter how you twist it plus the guy is asking for a lot of money. If you look at this draft, there is a good possibility we could make a move with San Fran the Jets or GB: all three we could trade the 1st pick for there first this year, there first next year and a number two this year. We go into next season with 2 number one picks. We let Domanick Davis get his chance to make it happen, and if he flopps we have the bargining power to go for Adrian Peterson next year. Adrian Peterson has more upside in the NFL than Reggie Bush in my opinion. First of Peterson has 4.3 to 4.4 speed at 6'2 220 Lbs. He is a work horse and can get the job done. You want to make comparisons between Reggie Bush 5'10 200 lbs and Faulk 5'10 211. O.K. Faulk has only played 4 16 game seasons in his 12 year career. The closest comparison for Peterson is Eddie George. Eddie George had 8 back to back 16 game season. In my opinion this is the route to take.

2. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Other than the assumptions you make about Peterson's game (most of which I would agree with, but still, assumptions), the biggest is that we would be in a position to draft or trade to draft Peterson next year. We surely do not want to and do not intend to finish with that kind of record, and planning on trading down a year in advance is utterly foolish.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i'll take marshawn lynch over peterson.

4. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Peterson has already suffered a season ending injury with that darn ankle...is he durable? No disrespect to the amazing freshman season he had, but that is a question mark on his resume.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I also prefer Peterson's style of running. However, he was hurt a lot this past season and would have prove he's back to old form. I would stop short of calling him "injury-prone" just yet. I guess we'll find out next year.

6. Long-Spurs-Texan

Long-Spurs-Texan Veteran

Peterson is an awesome college back. He runs with reckless abandon, with absolutely no regard to his body. He won't last like that. He is fast and powerful though. I love to watch him run, very Dickerson-esque. Thing is, Dickerson had some moves. Peterson is like a freaking angry racehorse.

7. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

I wouldn't take Peterson in the first round. We should take SS Laron Landry

8. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

Closer to an angry bull...that can probably run a 4.4. I'm still not looking forward to seeing a healthy Peterson next year in Dallas. I'm hoping Charles lives up to his billing.

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

By the time AP goes pro, his body is going to be about 3 years older than it actually is. He is a back who will have 3-4 years of production befor his skills start to decline. RB has been lucky to have someone to split carries with and doesnt have alot of wear and tear on him, and put that with the difference in style, gives him more years of good production befor his skills decline.

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

the angry racehorse label fits. as i said before, give me marshawn lynch.

11. PokerStar

PokerStar Veteran

Give me Slaton from West Virginia next year on special or the year after. DD's hit and effectiveness should be gone enough by then. PS Kas when you gonna change your mock up.

12. DominickDavisFan76

DominickDavisFan76 Veteran

A possible 1st round RB, next year or the year after could be Jamario Thomas

He was competing with adrian peterson for most yards for a rookie, I think he had more too, but since he was in a worse of a conference nobody gave him any attention, He plays for North Texas -Go Mean Green!!!:redtowel: JK

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I love Peterson more so than Bush, but it is to early to even think about what our needs are and how he winds up next season. Hopefully we will not have to be in the AP sweepstakes next year.

14. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

I know (or hoping against hope) you're joking, but that made me sick to my stomach.

15. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

No matter how much it gets preached, some people never get it.

Size does not = durability

16. MasterC25

MasterC25 Rookie

More upside I would have to disagree Peterson is injury prone in college football. I don't think he is physically up to the challenge of staying healthy in the NFL. Plus Peterson has been know to have problems with coaches and is typically not a hard worker in practices

17. MasterC25

MasterC25 Rookie

More upside I would have to disagree Peterson is injury prone in college football. I don't think he is physically up to the challenge of staying healthy in the NFL. Plus Peterson has been know to have problems with coaches and is typically not a hard worker in practices

18. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

AP is not injury prone, he had a minor injury and by seasons end he was back in top form. By this time next year he will be fighting Quinn for the #1 pick no doubts and's iff's or but's about it. He is by far the most domenant force on the field when he plays. If he was in this years draft, there is no doubt he would go ahead of Reggie Bush.

19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

lynch will be the first back taken when it's all said and done. he'll have just as good of a season, but he'll have better combine and/or pro day numbers. plus he's much more versatile than peterson.

besides, the top pick will be a dogfight between quinn and joe thomas, the best tackle prospect ever.

20. Frank_The_Tank

Frank_The_Tank Veteran

Marshawn Lynch????? You know how good he is, he is such a big time back that I had to google to find out who he was. Cal sucks, look at who they play. I hope you are joking comparing him to Adrian Peterson. LOL I have heard it all now.