Reggie Herring to interview with Houston (LB Coach, Dallas)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Section516, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Merge if necessary, I imagine Reggie Herring deal should be good as done..

IRVING, Texas -- Reggie Herring will interview with Houston after all, according to two sources.

The Cowboys initially denied permission to the Texans when they made the request but the meeting is expected to take place Tuesday. If Herring accepts a job with Houston he would be reunited with ex-Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, who was named the Texans coordinator earlier this month. It would also be his second tour with Houston. He was the Texans' linebackers coach from 2002-03 under Dom Capers.

The newly-granted permission for Herring to interview could also mean Rob Ryan, who will be the new defensive coordinator, according to a source, has a linebacker coach candidate in mind. The Cowboys also need a defensive line coach with Paul Pasqualoni leaving last week to become the head coach at the University of Connecticut.

Herring joined the Cowboys in 2008 after spending three seasons as the defensive coordinator at Arkansas. He had agreed to become Texas A&M’s coordinator before joining the Cowboys.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4677252/reggie-herring-will-interview-with-houston

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

imagine where we would be today if instead of just releasing Capers/staff McNair would have kept him as DC along with his staff (include Herring & Vic Fangio)? I would take that Green Bay 3-4 defense led by Clay Matthews right now, thank you very much!

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

They must know that he's most likely not going to be back with whomever they hire as the d-coordinator

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

This Red Herring was a Texans linebackers coach back in 2002-2003?

:caperspalm: + :wadepalm: = :GPpalm:

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

That's how the "On The Right Track Express" rolls around these parts.

7. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

8. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Does everyone forget that possibly the Texans best ever defense was the inaugural season? Remember that Steelers game when the Texans beat the Steelers despite only having 40 yards of total offense?

Capers is a great DC.

SheTexan likes this.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I doubt Capers would have accepted a demotion to DC after just being the head coach. He can go somewhere and be the coordinator but to do it with the same team, won't ever happen.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

After reading up a little bit, it appears he was the DC for NC State in 2004. One year spent with Mario....not that that means a damn thing. Just a fun fact, I reckon.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I think it could have been done behind closed doors. probably would have made him the highest paid defensive coordinator in the NFL but heck isn't that the case anyway with Wade Phillips?

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I will find/post link shortly, but Dallas radio is reporting the Bruce Matthews is interviewing in Dallas for an OL coaching position. If true reads like a "trade"

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

14. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I hope its not true about losing Matthews. I don't want anything on our o-line to change too much.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Reads like Jerrah schooling old man McNair.

He doesn't want/need Herring. Rob is going to bring in his guy. Cowboys were probably going to dump him anyway.... but might as well get an opportunity to wine & dine Bruce Matthews.

Hopefully Bob has Matthews sold on doing something special in Houston with Kubiak & Wade.

16. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    TK, are you serious? Hopefully and special at this point in time is not what I'm looking to hear.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Unfortunately, Capers was the head coach here. And he did a horrible job of finding talent on defense. Worse, IMO, than what Kubiak and Smith have done.

What's so special about Matthews? He's basically a coaching intern. Lose him, and you find another. A great guy and HOF player. Nothing to lose sleep over if he moves on to another gig.

18. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Hey Chronicle, could you possibly find a LESS flattering picture of the guy?

[​IMG]

Guy looks like he is about to goose step.

19. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Although I like Matthews, I don't exactly know how much he was involve in coaching as OL assistant. I don't know if Matthews would be a good OL coach or ready for OL coach. Does anyone know how much Matthews was involve as an assistant OL?

Go Texans!!!

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

True..... personally, I just think it would look like he's abandoning ship....