Reggie Bush.......would we draft him?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ranger, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Ranger

Ranger Veteran

If we end up in the Top 3 of the NFL draft (and that is where it looks like we are headed) would we draft Reggie Bush if he declares? In my opinion, if you have this player sitting in your lap, you just can't pass on him and draft someody else. He is a video game, one of the greatest athletes I have seen in a long time. So, say we have the #2 pick in the draft. Leinhart has already been picked, Texans on the clock, do we get Reggie?

I mean we have Dominack Davis, who is showing he is worth his money. He is already a jack-of-all trades guy who IS our offense, do we draft Reggie and make him a jack-of-all trades as well? Wow, that would be a offensive coordinators dream right there. But don't forget about the Big OT from Virginia, Brown, he will be up there as well, and we may be hard-pressed to draft him.

So-Reggie Bush, or Brown?

2. Bayern

Bayern Veteran

This is interesting because I haven't thought about adding another Running Back. Transform the team into a total running attack and all of a sudden that o-line that can actually block (kind of) for the run doesn't look so bad and David is only handing the ball off the whole year. Keep Davis and Bush on the field at the same time!

Then you'll see the play action pass to Dre downfield work. I like it!

Bush
    O-line
    Tight End
    and some friggin mean linebackers. :texans:

3. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Ferguson and no. Take Bush.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

Build up the trenches, and then we can get the weapons.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

two things have to happen. First Bush is only a junior so he would have to declare for the draft & leave USC early (just a thought if Pete Carrol was interested in ANY Texans position this might sway his decision) & the Texans need the top pick. all told not out of the question and yes I would do it :thumbup

6. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

This is a no brainer for me. Name 1 QB who can play with our OL. I know i posted this b4 in a different chain but no QB ever could. I think we go OT from Virginia. No questions asked. I think if 1 min goes by and we dont make him the pick i will be disappointed

7. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Average NFL career life of

RB: 3 years.
    OLine: ??

You couldnt really go wrong with either. Bush is big play waiting happen. Our O-Line is big play waiting to happen for the other team. Hard choice...Franchise RB/Slot WR vs Franchise LT.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

If our RB was as bad as our oline this would be a no Brainer.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

we have to get OL and maybe by then Peterson in 2 years???
    :heh:

10. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Ive been thinking that to. :drool:

11. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Two word: D'Brickashaw Ferguson:texflag:

[​IMG]

As much as I love Reggie Bush, we would be putting him in a no win situation, just like we have Carr, DD, and AJ if we take him with no offensive line help.

12. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Desmond Howard, Rocket Ismail and Peter Warrick dominated the college scene much the same way Reggie Bush is now.

I'd pass on Bush if it was a top 10 pick so that I could address more pressing areas of need.

13. beerlover

were all receivers, Reggie Bush is a rb. big, no HUGE difference. the Texans need to run the ball period, both blocking scheme & personel would be better suited, at least a little more play action to keep them honest & with a back like Reggie Bush they would have to respect that :)

14. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Bush isn't near as effective if you only play him as a RB though. Much like Desmond Howard, Rocket Ismail and Peter Warrick who were effective because their teams created ways to get them the ball...not just throwing it to them because they were WRs.

If you want a true RB, you're better off drafting his teammate Lindale White.

15. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Reggie Bush wouldn't nearly have the success here with this terrible line. I would trade with another team that wants him (like San Diego did with Vick). Get our LT and another pick and build the team the right way by starting with the line.

16. beerlover

WR's

Desmond Howard 5'9" 176
    Rocket Ismail 5'10" 175
    Peter Warrick 5' 11" 192

RB's

Clinton Portis 5'11" 212
    Cadillac Williams 5'11" 217
    Curtis Martin 5'11" 210

All Around

Reggie Bush 6'0" 205

my bad he doesn't just fit the prototypical RB mold, he fits virtually all offensive positions and cannot be defined by a single position. gee I'm not sure how or if the Texans could use someone like that :heh:

Michael Ventre, MSNBC.com:
    "Bush is young and multi-talented. He's a running back. He's a receiver. He's a kick returner. He's a punt returner. He's even a passer. If you try to pigeonhole him, you'd better have lots of pigeonholes.

Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times:
    "Keith Gilbertson half-jokingly labeled the situation unfair. Bill Doba called the potential problems monstrous. Mike Riley found only one word to describe it-horrible. That's what these Pac-10 coaches said when asked to assess difficulties created for defenses when Reggie Bush lines up as a receiver."

Todd Harmonson, Orange County Register:
    "The easy comparison is to Marshall Faulk because of the similarity in all-around games, but those who saw Gale Sayers recognize the speed, spins and spellbinding cuts...He is a speed demon who sees Christmas morning when a linebacker tries to defend him and a winnable challenge when a quick corner draws the assignment...Off the field, Bush is a quiet leader who is on track to graduate in 3 ½ years."

17. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Love to have him....if our O-LINE wasn't so bad.....I.E. BARRY SANDERS.

18. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Basically what I'm saying is his collegiate dominance doesn't translate to the same in the NFL. I can see him playing a role similar to what Marshall Faulk does/did but I don't think he's as good of a RB as Faulk (but I think he's a better receiver).

I would post quotes of sports writers that also support this view but I don't hold their (sports writers) opinions too highly. :)

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

A talent no doubt, but not what we NEED.

20. HeHateMe

HeHateMe Rookie

If we do get the first overall pick, and it's looking like it so far. I think we should trade down a couple of spots and pick up a couple of more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Then again Casserly hasn't drafted that well in the later rounds.

We are just doomed!!!!!