Reggie Bush 294 yards 3.4 avg, Steve Slaton 423 yards 4.8 avg

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Spled, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Spled

Spled All Pro

Questions?

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

3. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Slaton is the answer Bush is still the question. Who will be an everydown back.

4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Yes, why do some Texans fans talk about Reggie Bush even though he's not on our team?

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

..............nor is he active on his team.

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Reggie is near the lead in TDs. The guy is loved by his fans and keeps his nose clean. Why all the hate? Oh yeah, its a Houston and everyone hates us thing.

Something tells me that if he was a Texan, most of you would be some of the biggest Bush homers of all time. Go talk to Sean Payton and ask him if Bush is worth a damn.

Anyone who thinks Bush isn't a good football player, is just a hater. The guy has flaws and you may feel he was taken too early for what he has brought to the table, but to act like Slaton is any better than Bush or that because Slaton was picked later than Bush, that makes him a better player is just ridiculous.

Ok, so Terrell Davis is the greatest RB of all time because he wasn't given a sniff in the draft coming out of Georgia. Great logic.

I love Slaton, I just hope we all don't get too giddy with him and act like the RB situation is now all of a sudden fixed. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have our 'lightning' now get us our 'thunder'....or some more damn 'lightning'. We need to learn from the Domanick Davis situation.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    TexanSam likes this.
  7. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I agree with a lot of this. Reggie has proved to be a good football player. But he hasn't proven to be good at running the football. In the offense he is in it seems to work out alright for him. In our offense I'm not so sure.

As far as Slaton goes, I think we have pretty much fixed our RB spot. We don't need another top flight back, just a guy who can come in and and carry the ball 10 times a game to give Slaton a breather and keep him fresh. Like a Buckhalter to Westbrook or a Betts to Portis. I actually think Green has done a pretty good job in that role this year, although I have no faith in him staying healthy.

8. D-Frank

D-Frank Veteran

the reason why everyone always makes a big deal about bush is cause so many people were on our ass for not drafting him and picking mario. i dont care how good he is at punt returning and recieving out the backfield (cant say he is a good running back cause with that offensive line he should be able to get at least 4.0) you dont draft a guy that high to return punts.

o by the way he has a career long rush of 29 freakin yards. slaton has a 30 yard run it seems like almost every game. just my little 2 sense

9. CloakNNNdagger

It's not hate. It's after all we went through publicly with the Mario thing, most of us feel that we got our money's worth, especially at a position which is more likely to produce longevity (as already being demonstrated). Reggie Bush will likely be an exciting player while he is around. But there are many similarly exciting players around with much less of a drag on the cap.

Brando likes this.
  10. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Reggie Bush is a nice player to have but not an absolute MUST HAVE franchise cornerstone like you want when you draft top 5.

I put Reggie in the same category as guys like Roscoe Parrish and Devin Hester. Parrish is a dynamic slot receiver/return man and Hester is a real life Forrest Gump. All three players are dynamic but none of them you build a franchise around.

Plus all the Reggie hype has taken away from the Maurice Jones-Drew hype as a versatile player. I would take MJD over Reggie (not just as a RB, total package football player) as would most people not blinded by Reggie's big muscles and subway commercials.

Not saying Reggie is a bad player, the Texans would be a better team with Reggie Bush. But he's not worth the price tag that comes with being a # 2 pick imo.

Fox likes this.
  11. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

i agree we are getting our money's worth with Slaton but does that diminish Bush as a football player? The jury is still out on the Mario v Bush thing anyway. Mario is a great player but if you look at winning football games, Bush has probably won just as many games as Mario has. I am glad we took Mario over Bush because we needed something to help our pass rush but I am not going to get bent out of shape if someone thinks we screwed up passing on Bush. Bush could have really helped our football team. His versatility is unprecedented when you look at the numbers. New Orleans throws the ball around and look at Deuce, he isn't doing much either. It's an offense that is not predicated on running the ball between the tackles in a traditional sense.

I don't think our RB situation is fixed. We can't think of it as being fixed. Steve will not last as a featured back getting 20-30 carries every game. He would be best getting 15-20 and sharing time with another quality running back, which we currently lack. Let's learn from the Domanick Davis failure and preserve Slaton's career, team value, and productivity. Just sayin'.

12. NBT

NBT Veteran

NO we wouldn't because we wouldn't have Mario. No way no how. Reggie would rather run out of bounds than take a hit. He couldn't run between the tackle if his life depended on it.

13. Fox

Fox All Pro

I agree with Joker. Bush is versatile and he opens a lot of doors for an offense, but he's a luxury not a necessity IMO. I'd like to have Devin Hester on the team but I wouldn't take him, or pay him, with a top 5 pick.

Slaton on the other hand has so far been very solid as a running back. He isn't lacking as a receiver, but he isn't nearly the receiver Bush is either.

14. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

when will we let bush and vy go? old news just like carr.

15. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

People have been saying that since May of '06. It's not gunna end any time soon so get used to it. Or just don't click on threads that have their names in the title.

16. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

People do it because there are still people in Houston that hate Mario. I guess its a defensive mechanism for the first year where all these people would start threads every week about RB this, VY that.

Funny thing is, watch the Saints magically find an awesome running game once Bush is out.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Nor is Bush it would seem the running back that Slaton is ?

18. CloakNNNdagger

Sometimes the "decoy" can get in the way of the development/production of the "real thing."

19. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Not saying if we took Reggie over Mario we'd be a better team. Saying if we had both of them we would be better than just one or the other. I'm one of the bigger Mario supporters around so dont take it that way.

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Why do we have to keep doing this? Reggie Bush is Reggie Bush and Steve Slaton is Steve Slaton. We dont need side by side comparisons to Reggie Bush for the rest of his career. Give it a rest!

Thorn likes this.