Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JB, Jun 8, 2010.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Weird. Reeves was well above average 2 years ago and I thought he was certainly good enough to be 3rd on the depth chart last year. what happened i wonder

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

"Third corner on the field" translates to me that Kubiak is referring to the nickel on the field at the same time. This statment would not preclude Reeves and Molden in the back up roles for the true right and left corners.

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, I know that. It just seems surprising to me that they were not mentioned. I guess they will be relagated to ST and backups. But he did mention that Bennett and McMannis were being considered.

And if they move Quinn to the slot in the nickel, is Bennett or McMannis better outside than Reeves?

5. CloakNNNdagger

I've actually come to like Reeves. Last season with a questionable pass rush, Reeves had his share of being picked on and did surprisingly well.........much better than the previous season. I believe has gets less credit than he deserves. But the competition should prove interesting this summer.

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

There should be good battle for that third spot.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Do you think Kubiak is sending a message to Reeves & Molden?

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

To think our secondary has fallen so far since the end of the season that Reeves isn't even a nickel anymore :evil:

9. CloakNNNdagger

I still believe Reeves will be solidly inscribed as a veteral presence back up corner for us this year. I also think that if Molden can stay healthy, and that's a big IF, Kubiak feels that he could be a solid CB on this team.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Ya know Doc Jean, I agree with you. After thinking about it, I think the only reason Kubiak did not mention Reeves and Molden is because he pretty much knows what he has with those two, and is more interested in answering questions about the others here in OTA's and mini-camp.

11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

For what it's worth this discussion was begun by me a few weeks ago in the "Cornerback Rotation" thread..

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

If Molden stays healthy I think Bennett gets whacked. Bennett doesn't have the hips to be a corner and when Molden is healthy all he does is make plays. He was a beast on special teams as a rookie so if he's healthy, I think that'll be the edge...his special teams play.

13. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

The 3rd corner in the nfl plays more snaps than the slb. The 3rd corner plays over 60% of the snaps. Teams need 3 and smaybe 4 starting quality corners.

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

Sure they have a spot.

[​IMG]

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Ive watched both Bennett and Reeves play and the thought of having Bennett on the field while Reeves is on the bench makes me seriously wonder if our coaches have any idea wtf they are doing sometimes

16. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

That's not a direct quote from Kubiak and is probably just an omission by Kuharsky.

Kubiak's been trumpeting up the young guys this offseason, but it'd take a monumental leap by McCain to unseat Reeves at the third CB.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  17. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I felt like McCain had decent to above average coverage skills but his lack of physicality as a tackler showed up time and time again when I would re-watch. I know Kubiak has mentioned publicly that they are on him about being more physical but both he and Reeves are similar in that. I don't know if it's a physical issue in that they are both lighter (obviously McCain is smaller) but Molden would seem to have a better upside in that he's bigger. Question remains, can the dude cover? Will we ever get to find out?

p.s. You gotta love that Quin want's to slide in so he can hit somebody!

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think it is that and ...

this. Kubiak knows reporters primarily want to know about young guys and their improvement.

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Quin oughtta be the FS. I'm gonna call shenanigans if I see Quin flip-flopping about the secondary as a CB to emphasize his tackling.

Of course Reeves has a spot. #3. McCain as the #4 gives 4 guys who are solid cover guys.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

BL breakdown -

#1 Kareem Jackson
    no surprise here as advertised, should have seen it coming but very well covered up underclassman from an outstanding defensive national championship team.
    #2 Glover Quinn
    starting cb who bumps down into nickle packages, playmaker, excellent cover & tackling skills but does lack long speed so his effectiveness increases close to scrimmage & in underneath routes.
    #3 Brice McCain
    first off bench to cb in when they go to extra db sets. has the best long speed of bunch can stick to man like glue downfield but needs support in size mis-matches. also has good eye & play recognition to captialize on turnovers.
    #4 Jacque Reeves
    4th cb off bench because of expereince, size & speed. his ball skills must improve to move up this list, but still offers quality depth & can fill in case of injury, in the last year of his contract (I think) so he has something to prove to get that next deal done.
    #5 Sherrick McManis
    rookie 5th rd. draft pick I know but has the package the Texans covet @ CB to pair with fellow rookie Jackson (in due time). has very fluid hips & change of direction skills, not afraid to put his hat on people & natural instinct for position.
    #6 Antwaun Molden
    still untested 08 3rd rd. draft pick who has been hampered by injurys. must remain healthy to make the 53 man roster, but if he does I give him an edge to make this team based off his ability to play CB or Safety plus special teams gunner.
    #7 Fred Bennett
    odd man out. similar size to Molden, similar tools just has not been consistant enough to keep him over recent additions which have upgraded secondary. biggest problem for him has been his lack of competitiveness both on & off the field, remains a question mark.

so to answer the question "Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?" it's yes to both (right now) for me going into training camp this summer.