Redo--Not Just Hindsight.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HJam72, Oct 8, 2008.

1. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I posted this on the other boards, and I've been thinking it all week. Just wanted to get it out here too:

Here's what I would have done:

After the first time that Sage held out the ball trying to get a first down near the endzone (he didn't lose it that time), I would have chewed him out for that and told him that if he did it again he was out.

2 possible outcomes of this:

1) Sage doesn't pull that crap anymore and we win.

2) Sage pulls the same crap on the first fumble with the helicopter spin and we give up a TD the other way. Still ahead by 3 (27-24). At this point, I bench Sage. I'm not kidding. I would have, and since Schaub was sick, I would have put Owen Daniels at QB and let Bruener play TE. I would have told Sage he was having a meltdown and that I won't let his meltdown cost the team this game. This is not just hindsight. I was thinking it at the time. I would just let OD hand off to the RB a lot, and I would have called those rollouts, just like Kubiak did, but OD would be running with the ball (hopefully with our FB in front of him). OD would be specifically told to NOT throw the ball EVER. NO TURNOVERS. WE WIN. Sage is forgiven for his ONE turnover. NOT THREE.
    [​IMG]
    This is not a call for Kubiak's head. I just think that pretty much all coaches should think of things like this more often.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Heres the problem:

Lets say Kubes does do this, and OD makes some weird mistake since, oh yeah, he's never taken a snap at QB in the NFL.

Then EVERYONE is all over Kubiak "What were you thinking, Sage was doing SO well. He only had 1 messsed up turnover!"

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Schaub was suited up and Kubiak said he would have gone in if Sage got hurt (or unspoken, yanked). Bruener was out with a hamstring so Dreesen would have been your TE.

4. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I'm sure they all think of it, but the only ones who are dumb enough to act on it are the Lane Kiffins looking to get fired.

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

How, is he going to mess up as long as he doesn't bobble the snap?

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I didn't know Schaub was ready. He should have been put it after that first fumble.

7. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

The routine is routine only because they practice it. How often do you think OD stands under center taking snaps?

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't know, but it doesn't matter now. I didn't know Schaub was a possibility.

9. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i agree with getting on his butt after the first almost fumble. not sure we win if you put daniels in. we go 3 and out then kick to ind with more than 2 min left down by 3. dont really feel good about our chances there.

10. GNTLEWOLF

GNTLEWOLF All Pro

You are telling me that the guy listed as our #3 QB doesn't get significant time in practice to take snaps. Looks like we are pretty well screwed if anything happens to sage, because it is a sure bet Shaub is going to be sick or injured again.:foottap:

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Schaub was a possibility but why not snap it straight back to Slaton? He's done that at WV in the Spread offense so it's not that much of a stretch. Worse case scenario we take as much time off the clock and punt it away.