Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Red Zone

gtexan02

Working?
What were our red zone possessions and hwo successful were we yesterday? I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like we missed a bunch of opportunities from within the 10 yard lne

What were our red zone possessions and hwo successful were we yesterday? I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like we missed a bunch of opportunities from within the 10 yard lne

IIRC, we were inside their 20 six times. Out of those: 3+3+6=12 Awesome! :sarcasm:

not creative enough to fool the defense......

not physically superior to pound it in on the defense......

not talented enough to win individual matchups over the defense......

what exactly does that leave us with?.......12 points

Zone blocking teams are notorious for struggling in short yardage/goal line situations running in conventional smash mouth situations. Zone blocking is more of a finesse scheme with traditionally smaller linemen so it can bog down when the field shrinks. Kubiak has got to learn to take the fg's when we are in scoring areas and we have to hit on a few more big plays.

Zone blocking teams are notorious for struggling in short yardage/goal line situations running in conventional smash mouth situations. Zone blocking is more of a finesse scheme with traditionally smaller linemen so it can bog down when the field shrinks. Kubiak has got to learn to take the fg's when we are in scoring areas and we have to hit on a few more big plays.
*DING DING DING* - we have a winner!

True, but we didn't even try for the most part.

For instance, first and goal from about the 4. Slaton gets about 2.5 on first down to about the 1.5. Why not give it to him two more times? He had been running well for the most part, and scored our only TD inside the ten. Instead the "briantrust" calls two higher risk low percentage passes in a row. Then on 4th down, they give it to Slaton, who falls about a foot short of the goal. Had that been second down, you would have two more tries at getting a foot to score.

Say what you want about the ZBS, but Slaton was a beast yesterday. Granted, they bottled him up at times, but I will take my chances on getting 1 and a half yards with 3 plays with Slaton then taking my chances with Matt and a pathetic passing game in a short field.

This is just one example of the poor play calling yesterday. In fact, Slaton was the forgetten man in the sedcond half after an exceptional first half. The whole thing made no sense at all.

Back