red socks / blue socks

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by barrett, Jan 28, 2009.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I'm obsessed with the Texans. That's a fact. It's the off season for Texans fans, also a fact. I was watching highlights today. Did you know that after week 4 we stopped wearing red socks and switched to blue?

I'm disappointed. As many of you know, I'm always pushing for consistency with our image since we are a young franchise. Plus, red socks just looked better.

Don't you think Dale?

2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

You're talking about with the road white uniforms, right? I noticed that at some point in the middle of the season and wondered how long they'd been doing that.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Did you also notice that after we...err they stopped wearing red soxs we....err they also won more games then the red sox period?

4. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

yeah. to my understanding the road white is white socks-red leggings, blue pants and white jerseys. but after that game it was white socks-blue leggings, blue pants etc...

this is the official setup: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/AFCS-Uniform-Combination-HOU.PNG

But they are missing the sock change. Maybe the laundry was just not done. I know socks are the first thing to go for me.

Silver Oak likes this.
  5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

You know me, the more loud colors the better. One can never be too flashy or accessorize too much!

Barrett, here's a question for you: Would you rather have the best uniform in the NFL, and win 10 games or have the worst uniform in the NFL and win 11- for this scenario, the Texans would be a wild card team either way?

6. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

10 wins and look snazzy! The pats look like clowns and won 11 and didn't make the playoffs.

PapaL - let's not got there. the sock change caused us to blow the lead against the Colts too. socks can go both ways.

Dale it's not about loud colors, but it is about accessories. The solid uni is a modern fad. Football uniforms through the years have been a strange blend of lack of fashion sense and too many different pieces of clothing. You have the outer sock - White. The inner, longer sock - white. The legging that goes under the inner, longer sock and over the knee up to the wierd man short-capri pant things that lead to the jersey etc... and then you've got a bunch of dudes sitting around a table trying to make a "uniform" out of all that. and if you don't do it right, it can cost you games!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

I remember a radio interview with David Anderson on 1560 about this topic. They switched because the players were basically begging to change the sock color to blue. They thought the red looked bad. And they stuck with it.

8. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I bet Will Demps started it. :thinking:

9. swisher

swisher Old School

I noticed it the first game they changed...it took me about a quarter of thinking to myself that something looked weird.

I don't mind the blue socks, but I liked the red better. Of coarse the first time they wear them they get their first win against the Dolphins in the last seconds of the game...so you knew they were around to stay.

Blue socks:

[​IMG]

10. swisher

swisher Old School

vs red socks

[​IMG]

The more I look at it the more I hope they go back. I'm not a fan of the leotard look the blue socks give. There needs to be some sort of contrast below the knees.

But look at the Titans....at least we don't wear that garbage for a uniform. I rank ours up at the very top in the league, and I say that as a fan of good graphic design and not a Texans fan. An instant classic. (except when they wear all red)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  11. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

Well I'm glad we quit wearing them after 4 games, because we lost those 4 games. Please stay away from the red socks, and keep the blue ones.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

We really don't have enough uniform combinations. Tradition be damned! We need a different uni combo for each individual game! :whistle:

13. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

the red balanced the colors quite nicely. with the blue socks it's too blue heavy. i don't approve.

14. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I personally think the red socks look better, but....

As long as they can put a "W" up on the board, they can wear lime green & pink!! (might make the other team go blind - advantage Texans?) :doot:

15. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

red is our victory color.

16. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I think the blue ones look better, but then again I'm partially colorblind, so don't ask me...