Recurrence of Hard Question to swallow.......

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

..........................but could it be true? Are Texans fans just destined to justify, explain away, and accept mediocrity?

I came across this HOUSTON PRESS piece. As a Texans fan, it was tough to read. Ugly yes. But is it far from an ugly truth? Decide for yourself.

Texans Could Learn Something From The Saints
    Jan. 25 2010 @ 8:01AM

​When the Houston Oilers split for Nashville, I found myself searching for a NFL team to adopt. As a native Houstonian, there was just no way that I could make myself a Dallas Cowboys fan. Especially if I wanted to keep my self-respect.

I adopted the New Orleans Saints. The team had a lot of similarities to the Oilers. Both had never really accomplished anything in their existence. They had had some really talented players come through and waste their careers on bad teams. And at the least the Saints didn't have the history of the Oilers when it came about to choking away big playoff leads.

So needless to say, I'm happy about the Saints winning yesterday -- though not quite as happy as the people of New Orleans are. But I did wager some money in Vegas on the Saints back before the season, and I picked them to win the Super Bowl, so let's just say I'm hoping the Saints can handle the Colts in two weeks.

I've got another reason for pulling for the Saints. After all, just several years ago, the Saints were a team like the Houston Texans. They were awful, coming off of 3-13 season in which they were overturning the entire roster while bringing in a new coach and a new quarterback. This was the same off season when the Texans were making massive changes under the guidance of brand new head coach Gary Kubiak

But while the Texans have continued to flail around in mediocrity, the Saints are playing for the title.
    But at least the Texans have a bunch of players heading to the Pro Bowl next week. I don't really see where that's something worth being pleased about. Then again, I'm not a PR flack for the Texans.

And who knows, maybe next season, while the Texans are still unable to defeat the teams in the AFC South and thus miss the playoffs, they can again brag about the number of players in the Pro Bowl. I'm sure, however, if you ask the Saints fans, they'll take a Super Bowl over a Pro Bowl any day.

And let's hear it for the Saints. They didn't accept losing. They weren't happy with mediocrity -- unlike the people running for, or cheering for, the Texans. They've put together a true high-powered offense that does more than just put up big stat numbers. The Saints can actually score points on good defenses and within the red zone. The defense is also one of the better ones in the NFL; it is run by Gregg Williams, a former head coach who is known for his aggressive defenses -- he never worked for the Denver Broncos, However, and he is a known and proven commodity, which is undoubtedly the reason he could have never worked for the Texans or Gary Kubiak.

I'm thrilled for the Saints, and their fans. I hope the Texans fans will take a good look at the Saints. There's no reason the Texans couldn't be in the position the Saints are in right now. These two teams were at the same point four years ago. But the Saints chose to win. The Texans chose mediocrity. And there's nothing to indicate that that situation is going to be changing anytime soon.

2. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Funny that they chose a franchise that took 20 years before a winning season and over 40 to reach a Super Bowl. If Bob McNair chooses to be like the Saints, we are screwed.

I love how the Texans "chose" to be mediocre. I guess it's that easy. Next year, they will "choose" to be winners. Problem solved. Gee why didn't they think of that? :)

Cjeremy635 and BigTimeTexanFan like this.
  3. Scooter

Scooter Funky

lol that's just silly. :truck:

4. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

So what he's saying is in two weeks the saints will know how we feel twice a year?

5. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Sounds like it was written by one of the posters on this board.

texansdrummer likes this.
  6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Didn't the Texans beat the Saints last year?

Why didn't the genius Saints "choose" to win that game?

Furthermore why did they wait until 2010 to "choose" to not be mediocre?

And can I "choose" the grade on my research paper I have to turn in tomorrow?

7. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Well, the Saint's DID make 2 NFC Championship games, winning one of them.
    They changed 37 out of 51 players win the new coach came in.
    Sean Payton's short coaching career blows away Gary Kubiak's.

I believe that was the OP's point.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think we all get that but for whatever idiotic reason the article seems to imply that NFL teams can control their own destiny by "choosing" to win or lose, as exemplified by one of the last lines of the article.

Although you'd make a better editor than the one this dope has.

9. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

More Chron BS the paper is begging to fail

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

[QAUOTE=Joe Texan;1355358]More Chron BS the paper is begging to fail [/QUOTE]

Joe, I have no opipion.. I'm still trying to heal that wound over my eye (from AC/DC).... It still bleeds, believe it or not...

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I don't know the contract details, but seems the saints get more bang for the buck on their FA acquisitions compared to the Texans
    :rake:

12. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

Here's another stupid quote from the article. You can talk about the Texans being "unable to defeat the teams in the AFC South", but last time the Saints played the AFC South (2007) they were 1-3. Meanwhile, the Texans were 3-1 against the NFC South. I'll agree that the Texans haven't had the success the Saints have had this year, but let's not pretend that playing in the NFC South is as tough as playing in the AFC South. I'll wait until the Saints manage to beat just one team from the NFC South this year (they'll have a chance in a couple of weeks) before I am convinced that they've made all the right choices, while the Texans made foolish ones.

thunderkyss likes this.
  13. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Pff yeah right SOme saints fan wore bags over there heads with the word Aints on it ... to me thats accepting mediocrity thats telling me and the whole world that seen it "Yeah our teams sucks and even we know it "

not me when our texans went 2-14 i wore my texans hat proudly U win some u lose some thats apart of the game even if we are 16-0 one season iam still going to point out the flaws in our team becasue well i just love the texans to much not 2

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know if this guy really believe we as fans can do anything about what happened or what will happen. Whether I applaud Mediocrity or not has nothing to do with Kubiak & his future in Houston. I'm just a squirrel Earl.

Did the fans really have anything to do with The Saints getting Sean Peyton? I mean Benson's been looking for a coach longer than McNair has. I can think of 3 coaches in my lifetime. Mora, Hasslett, Payton.

I'm not going to take anything away from Sean Payton, I think he's a great young coach. I'm not going to belittle any of the wins he got. But I will say, I don't know that GK would have done much worse if any, had he gone to New Orleans, & I seriously doubt Payton would have done much better than Kubiak had he come to Houston.

I think they have more in common than not. The progress of the teams are pretty close as well, other than the wins..... the only thing that count.

But as good as Payton is, and as many wins as he got for that franchise, if you look deeper, things get kind of screwy.

I've got to say they hit more times than not in FA than Kubiak has. Not one of their LBs were drafted by the Saints. Sedric Ellis is the only first round pick they've made since 2006 that starts on that team.

Jahri Evans looks good. & they may have drafted him thinking he will start.

But Marques Colston? I know Payton didn't think Colston was going to be his go to receiver when they drafted him. Surely they expected Meechum to be starting by now. Surely Mechum should be further along than Jacoby Jones. Surely Reggie Bush was supposed to be their work horse. I love Brees, don't get me wrong, but C'mon... He got lucky there as well.

He's done a great job making the most of his talent.

Again, not trying to make the Saints & their acheivements look smaller than they are. Payton has done an amazing job there.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

Drew Brees is Matt Schaub, but with mobility and zip.

He's to the Saints what Manning is to the Colts. He makes his team very fluid.

And, they found a way to turn their defense around. I don't think Manning can handle the Saints defense. They got to Favre and they blasted him. I don't see the Colts defense being able to stop the weapons Brees has at his disposal.

I'm calling it now: Saints win, and it won't be the neck-and-neck game everyone thinks it will be.

And I hope it creates one more step to the Colts eventual decline. I've had enough of that team dominating our division. This crap can't go on forever, or I'm going to become a Bills fan if it does. :devilpig:

16. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I didn't learn until this morning that this was the SECOND Championship Game they've been to in the last four years.

So, Sean Payton was hired four years ago, and have taken them to two championship games and the Super Bowl.

That is astonishing. Not only has Peyton earned a contract extension, but he's earned a loooong, lucrative, healthy contract extension.

17. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Thunder, come on. Your entire post is filled with, "I'm not going to take anything away from Sean Payton, but..."

Yes, you are basically denigrating what he's done in four years. You say, for example, that Peyton got "lucky" with Drew Brees. Actually, they actively went after drew. They were aggressive. That's something this team is not.

And, if you look at it that way, you could argue that Gary got "lucky" by inheriting Andre Johnson, and that he got "lucky" by bringing in Bernard Pollard and he got "lucky" that Brian Cushing was still on the board when he was.

Look, we can go around and around with this issue, but at the end of the day, in four years, Sean Payton has gotten them two championship games and one Super Bowl.

Sean Peyton is an outstanding coach. Period.

18. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Sean Payton had the balls to cut John Carney, longtime Saints kicker who
    fell into a slump, and brought in some kid who kicks CLUTCH thru those
    uprights.

Kris Brown is still an "Original Texan?"

Double Barrel likes this.
  19. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Yeah it's also funny how these writers forget the Cap hell that C & C left this team in. That night have played a role in how the Texans rebuilt. It's mainly thru the draft not FA. People like that who wrote this article should jump ship and root for another team if that is the way they feel IMO.:slapfight:

thunderkyss likes this.
  20. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Last year it was the Cardinals, this year its the Saints...if we don't make it to the Super Bowl next year I wonder who we will be compared to :rolleyes:

GuerillaBlack likes this.