ReCap of Kubiaks speech yesterday to the Touchdown Club

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak was the guest speaker at the Touchdown Club of Houston's "Texans Day" luncheon. As usual, Kubiak didn't disappoint the crowd of approximately 100 luncheon guests.
    He talked about how Andre Johnson is one of the best football players he's ever been around and he described how watching Steve Slaton last year was one of the best performances he's ever seen by a rookie and a highlight of his coaching career.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...m6d17-Kubiak-delivers-at-Touchdown-Club-event
    Alan Burge from the Houston Examiner is our best local NFL journalist and he hits the high points here of Kubiaks remarks to the group.

False Start, dalemurphy and 76Texan like this.
  2. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Rep! Thanks!

Some pretty good info there.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

From the article:

That would have been nice. I'm happy with Caldwell, but man, I really wanted to see Coffee in a Texans uni.

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Here's video of half the speech. I would have had more video but my camera went south.
    Gary Kubiak invites you to run through a brick wall

I think this is one of those times that if you are inclined to like Kubiak, you will like him more watching this. And if you are inclined not to like him, it won't do much for you.

AJ did a really good write up for the Houston Examiner. Pretty much spot on. :texflag:

BSofA04 likes this.
  5. New_Texans

New_Texans All Pro

this is gonna be really really really random and probably really really late for and probably in the wrong thread, but you were on I want to be a millionaire. :whip:

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I liked this part:
    That's one of the things I've been looking at, when I evaluate this team. As a team gets better, I've noticed that winning at home, is one of the first things to turn around.

I remember a few years ago, I'd travel to Houston on Sunday, and hope that we would win. Now, when I go to the games...... I expect to win, simply because we're at home.

The next thing we have to do, is win the close games, then win the games we're supposed to, and not play down to the level of our opponents (i.e. the Raiders).

He answered a few questions with that tid-bit.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't think there are many who don't like him. As aj said in his article, I want him to succeed. Really, who doesn't? The question is, can succeed here? If he can win here, that would be great. If not, I'm willing to roll the dice on another coach. Not because I don't like him. But, because my support goes first and foremost to the Houston Texans. And no coach, player, front office member is greater than the team.

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Me too!!!!

9. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Well, if everyone indeed likes him, you'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask to dispense with the "ring clicking the podium", "typical coachspeak", and any other cheap ridicule of his personal mannerisms.

I understand the need to vent frustrations, but comments like that make me give birth.

(And that reminds me . . . what coach doesn't speak coachspeak? I haven't figured that one out yet)

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Ha, no doubt. I'd like to see what it would be like around here if Kubiak was as bad as Belichick at the podium every day.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I don't think they'd be able to notice after being hypnotized by the bling of his 3 rings up there.

12. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

I didn't know Johnny Mac became secret service. (Isn't that him in the background of the pics with the shades on?)

Amen, brutha.

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

Haven't watched it. Have read the excerpts that you all have been posting.

I like what thunderkyss had to say.

ON THE ISSUE OF NOT GETTING GLEN COFFEE IN THE 3rd:
    I don't feel sorry for Kubiak having Coffee picked up just a few picks before our 3rd round choice. He should have chosen him in the 2nd. So since he didn't, he needs to stop with the "Well, we would have picked him up if he had been there." He WAS there, just a round earlier than you wanted to pick him. There's a helluva' lot that happens from your pick in Round 2 to your pick in Round 3...and it's borderline poo-poo'ish to think you had a shot at Coffee in the 3rd. Isn't it? It's almost as if he's actually showing some signs of regret for not picking him up in the 2nd...but, you're hoping Barwin pans out. Because that's the one pick that I think HAS to succeed more than any other. You left a big RB on the board to grab a hybrid guy. Tick-tock....

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

Secret Service? More like Memphis Mafia. He looks like he's trying to score a few cheeseburgers for Elvis or something.

Elvis: "Johnnie Mac! Get over there and fetch me a triple-cheeseburger or three. And a bucket of sweet potato fries. And a lady. No, that one over there. Yeah, the one with the triple-cheeseburger in her hand."

Johnnie Mac: Anything else, King?

Elvis: Yeah, report something we DIDN'T know. Thank ya', thank ya' verry much.

15. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical. Further more, we get Caldwell as well who fills an immense need for depth at both C and G. In this system the running back has proven to be a position that can be filled with a more specific player that has skills that don't apply to as many of the other 31 teams. I would argue that having slaton, barwin and caldwell will be more valuable to this team than having slaton, coffee and .... Mario + Barwin > Slaton.+ Coffee

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

Well, I seem to recall that this is two times that Kubiak or Smith have mentioned how they had planned to grab Coffee in the 3rd. To me, that says there miiiight be some regret there.

I felt that we could have used our 2nd rounder on a RB who probably isn't going to be there in the 3rd. They gambled he would (obviously) and they lost. It's not THAT big of a deal, unless Barwin fails to be the player that our staff projected. But even then, there's now way to predict which guy will work out the best. That's part of the love I have for this game: Nailing predictions and gloating about them, and failing on predictions and being laughed at for it. Ying and yang.

I'm nowhere near being GM or HC. I just thought Glen Coffee in the 2nd seemed liked good help to Slaton, as Cushing will be good help to DeMeco. Then again, I'm the guy who wanted Mendenhall. Oops. So I got THAT going for me, which is nice.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

All this is BS. No one knows what that value is. This is the same conversation that's had every year. Mario was the #1 rated defensive player for most teams, but he clearly wasn't worth a #1 pick overall. His value wasn't that good. Bush was great value at #2 overall, right?

I don't buy the "value" argument at all, because every single year it gets turned on its ear.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I think every fan puts the Texans first.

Perhaps because I see a lot of ugliness on the blog, I do know that there are some people who don't like him. Some VY people are still bitter. So if they watched that video, they would likely nitpick it.

19. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Value is not BS. Value involves alot of factors. One of them is $. value in the sense that we're talking about I think has more to do with trying to assess risk rather than predicting that this guy is great and that guy is less great. I think risking taking Barwin in the 2nd is less risky than taking Coffee in the second. Clearly, the FO thought that too. Taking Mario at 1 was less risky than taking Bush. Barwin has all of the things the Texans want out of a DE at that position in the draft. More so than what Coffee had to offer the Texans. The Bush, VY debate is a perfect example of assessing value. Those players were less ideal of a fit for this team.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I'm another one who doesn't understand this "we should have taken Coffee in the 2nd round" stuff.

How come none of the other 31 teams took Coffee in the 2nd round? Maybe because they all had him graded as a 3rd, ya think?

If they had taken Coffee in the 2nd, y'all'd be pissin and moanin that they reached.

Tick-tock. . :rolleyes:

Kaiser Toro likes this.