Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Reasons!!!

B

battlered

PRO MARIO WILLIAMS and ANTI- MARIO WILLIAMS
state your reasons on why this is/isn't a good choice for our TEAM! not the NFL but our TEAM!

NO! bashing, just want to hear the reasons from both sides and see which side is outweighed by good reasons,
i expect A POST for every THREAD VIEW, if you can't give good reasons than, you shouldn't be a member here!

Yes, debate.

With Bush talent aside.

Bush will help out Carr from sacks. The attention will shift off of Carr who is nagging on the O-line. Davis I think haven't even rush for more than 20 or 30 yards on one play during last season. Carr is afraid to throw deep and he only tries to only if he knew that the guy is wide open. Carr has to settle to throw to short passes to players like D. Davis who only gain like 3 or 4 yards from that. Think what Bush would do if he was in D. Davis on those plays. Bush isn't a true RB he could he probably carries the ball 20 time or less and plays WR (scouts say he would be a top 5 WR if he wasn't a RB) and a Punt returner.
Lots of pressure will be on David Carr next season since no Bush. It could make or break him. He might end up being a bust from the 2002 draft. Carr has been the same player ever since he came out.

I could see the Williams argument about the Colts and I could argue that also. "We need to build a championship defense"- Casserly

With Bush in the backfield, Philadelphia would have taken the field wondering what the Texans were going to do. Throw to Moulds/Johnson, hit Bush, or let him carry it. Now, the Eagles know that when the Texans take the field, they are likely going to throw the ball to Moulds or Johnson, the only two primary targets. So they are going to take a note from last year and pound the pass protection. In other words, there is going to be just as much pressure on Carr and the line as there was last year, and I was hoping that by signing Bush, the Texans would remove that pressure.

battlered said:
true very true, but also add TE Jeb Putzier he did wonders w/ the broncos and remember when we had billy miller we thrived offensively, jeb will do the same only better, Carr now has a lifeline in Jeb Putzier

Agreed, but again, the Texans are relying on a passing game that just hasn't been there. We haven't dominated the running game either.

I trust in the coaches, though, and I assume they think DD is worth a lot more than he's shown us in the past few years. The same was said of Carr. I think the problem that most fans have is that we have heard this line for several years now and seen no results. The weight is on the coaching and the offensive line, the two areas of emphasis for the Texans since their inception.

battlered said:
if they made a post w/ a reason earlier, then COPY & PASTE it over here! doesn't hurt, i want to make a thread where, there is no pointless comments, just opinions/reasons on both sides of the boat

Oh yeah, it's all about you. How bout you look a little closer. While most threads have a lot of bashing, some of the threads have legitimate reasons. Get off your butt and find them.

Pro-Mario
- solid foundation by working on the trenches
- improve our "stellar" defense from last year
- a potential upgrade and works a need
- we have more of the draft to go yet if a RB is needed (and won't need to pay as much)

Anti-Mario
- passed on two "fan-sexy" picks, both an upgrade (potentially) but not a need necessarily

Pro-Mario

1. Physical freak
2. Less likely to be injured
3. Pass-rush on Texans was more broken than the running game

Pro-Bush

1. His idea of a bad game is as good as everyone else's best game
2. Reggie Bush is the best player in this draft class
3. Reggie enables the coach's expertise - offensive shiftiness

i've gotta say, from reading and watching pretty much everything i could over the last x amount of months, that Mario seems awesome. I'm pro Mario, but i can't help but agree with the guys on SIRIUS saying that you draft talent and not need at #1 - guess only time will tell on that one......
One thing i would say/ask is if you guys see Mario being moved around on D as much as Reggie will be on Offense - he just said he sees himself as able to play anywhere on the line. Maybe we're building a rush from anywhere D, using Dunta, Mario etc......... that sounds GREAT :fans:

Mario Williams doesn't score points.
Mario Williams doesn't electrify the crowd. He won't make plays that will leave you amazed.
Mario Williams is at the mercy of the offense he cannot get wins.

As i said on a different post

Personally, I had warmed up to the fact we were going to get Reggie. But the last few days had me disturbed about the following. Maybe this is just me, but had me wondering.

1. Character - I think Reggie should have known that this Reggie family moving into a house for a year, paid by someone of questionable character should have been a red flag for him and his family. This bugged me even though it supposable doesn’t bug anyone else.

2. He has signed a TON of endorsements. Including being the front of EA sports NCAA game. Now, this is money for him, this would also give someone (mainly a guy fresh out of collage, no bang against other collage peeps), the 'big head'. It would have for me, I am not immune. Why is this a problem? I think he would have come in with an 'I am the most important attitude, everyone wants me'. Even though some of this is good to have, even experienced players like TO cause detriment to a team. Look what TO has done to the Eagles in one year. He had people thinking he also was so good; he had to go number 1. The Mario negotiation was seen as a ploy when it was real. What I am meaning is that the Bushes couldn’t even contemplate that they would go number 2 or below.

3. Ask price. He wanted way too much money... period. I believe in giving him fair, but he wanted more then fair.

4. Durabilty - Everyone, I mean, EVERYONE acknowledged that he was NOT a every down back. Wait.. We were going to pay him how much and he was going to only play 1/2 the game. That didn't make much sense to me. If I am paying you in 30 million sign bonus, and a huge salary, and you dont play every down. Something was going to be wrong with that.

5. We were ignoring Davis. - How did he feel? He was seeing his starting job disappear, which he has earned.

Just a few things I had a problem with.

battlered said:
217 views, and barely any responses
-i'm thinkin anti MW have no good reasons?

i can see who's viewing the thread and the ones that have not left comments are usually the anti MW!
LOL!

-cause Pro MW or people who understand this pick and are supportive don't need to make a statement b/c we're not the one bashin'

Well, let's see. A die hard "true fan" whom just signed up to make posts on this board in January attempting to show his "expertise" on a BONE-HEAD pick. It would do you good to read an article in SI.com called Monday Morning QB by Peter King. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb.draft/index.html

Grabted in not too big on TV commentators and Web Links these days but I feel compelled to quiet your rants. I'm not saying you're worng but there is something to this: The tackle and sack totals of new Houston defensive end Mario Williams against the three Division I-AA opponents he faced while at North Carolina State:

Mario Williams' Division III Foes
Opponent Season Tackles Assists Sacks
Western Carolina 2003 5 1 0
Richmond 2004 3 0 0
Eastern Kentucky 2005 2 0 0

Three low-level foes, zero sacks.

I've heard a lot of good things about Williams from people I trust, including that he'll be a great NFL end either in a 3-4 or in the 4-3. But I can also tell you this: Two of the teams with a top five pick in the draft were scared of him because of his up-and-down play over three years.

Apparently, many in the crowd at the site of the draft, agreed. "OVER-RATED! OVER-RATED!'' they chanted throughout Radio City Music Hall as Williams took the stage to be introduced as the first pick. We'll see. But there's going to be an incredible amount of pressure on him.

And not to mention that he was on record saying that he took plays off to "protect" his draft stock.

You're a grown man you can believe what you want. But the only deal with that is it works both ways. If you are of the opinion CC made a great pick, so be it. I'm of the opinion that he made a F-ed up pick. So I guess the point is that you are nobody for me or anyone for that matter to justfy the way they feel. I don't know about you but I follow football on all levels like it's a religion so believe me when I tell you Mario Williams could play better than he has thus far. If it translates to the NFL is a wait and see but we will all be here to see it.

great pick here's why.

a) with bush, yeah we'd have a great playmaker, but we'd be paying TWO rb's big money and neither are full time starters.

b) yes i know reggie is a playmaker and scores td's and td's win games, but even if you score 50 td's a game, if the other team scores 51 td's, you lose.

c) gary kubiak had a top 5 running game for the past several years. name one first rounder on that team. that's what i thought. you don't need stars to have an effective running game.

d) a powerful de will effect the entire d line and the entire defense. double teams free up linebackers. pressure on the qb causes errors. players in the backfield result in tackles for loss. whoever controls the line of scrimmage controls the game. he's tall. he's fast. he can play multiple positions. he hasn't reached his full potential. bush probably has. i don't see him doing any better in the nfl as the defenses are faster and tougher than that of college.

dat_boy_yec said:
Mario Williams doesn't score points.
Mario Williams doesn't electrify the crowd. He won't make plays that will leave you amazed.
Mario Williams is at the mercy of the offense he cannot get wins.

all horrible points.

a) yeah mario can't score points, but if the other team can't does it reallyy matter?

b) electrifying the crowd? who gives a damn. i'll take a win any way i can. i don't know about you but i cheer when i see a sack, int, forced fumble or tackle for loss.

c) the offense is at the mercy of mario williams, they can't rush to his side if he clogs up the lanes. the qb is at the mercy of him to if he's causing double teams and other players are getting in the qb's face.

kbourda said:
Well, let's see. A die hard "true fan" whom just signed up to make posts on this board in January attempting to show his "expertise" on a BONE-HEAD pick. It would do you good to read an article in SI.com called Monday Morning QB by Peter King. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb.draft/index.html

Grabted in not too big on TV commentators and Web Links these days but I feel compelled to quiet your rants. I'm not saying you're worng but there is something to this: The tackle and sack totals of new Houston defensive end Mario Williams against the three Division I-AA opponents he faced while at North Carolina State:

Mario Williams' Division III Foes
Opponent Season Tackles Assists Sacks
Western Carolina 2003 5 1 0
Richmond 2004 3 0 0
Eastern Kentucky 2005 2 0 0

Three low-level foes, zero sacks.

I've heard a lot of good things about Williams from people I trust, including that he'll be a great NFL end either in a 3-4 or in the 4-3. But I can also tell you this: Two of the teams with a top five pick in the draft were scared of him because of his up-and-down play over three years.

Apparently, many in the crowd at the site of the draft, agreed. "OVER-RATED! OVER-RATED!'' they chanted throughout Radio City Music Hall as Williams took the stage to be introduced as the first pick. We'll see. But there's going to be an incredible amount of pressure on him.

And not to mention that he was on record saying that he took plays off to "protect" his draft stock.

You're a grown man you can believe what you want. But the only deal with that is it works both ways. If you are of the opinion CC made a great pick, so be it. I'm of the opinion that he made a F-ed up pick. So I guess the point is that you are nobody for me or anyone for that matter to justfy the way they feel. I don't know about you but I follow football on all levels like it's a religion so believe me when I tell you Mario Williams could play better than he has thus far. If it translates to the NFL is a wait and see but we will all be here to see it.

First off those teams aren't D3

Secondly, you don't measure an DE's impact in sacks. You look at tackles for loss, passes altered, batted down, etc...

Only the people who lack football knowledge only look at sacks to see the true impact of a defensive lineman

BradK10 said:

Secondly, you don't measure an DE's impact in sacks. You look at tackles for loss, passes altered, batted down, etc...

Only the people who lack football knowledge only look at sacks to see the true impact of a defensive lineman

Oh boy, ok. Whatever. Best pick ever!

kbourda said:
Oh boy, ok. Whatever. Best pick ever!

Sorry, I'm just sick at people who pay so much attention to the "sacks" number.

It's why Mario is fighting more than just an uphill battle this upcoming season....

BradK10 said:

BTW, Peek and Babin do that now for a hell of a lot cheaper.

kbourda said:
BTW, Peek and Babin do that now for a hell of a lot cheaper.

They do? Is that why our defense was ranked 31st?

Hell, they do it cheap, let's keep them around and continue to SUCK

battlered said:
PRO MARIO WILLIAMS and ANTI- MARIO WILLIAMS
state your reasons on why this is/isn't a good choice for our TEAM! not the NFL but our TEAM!

NO! bashing, just want to hear the reasons from both sides and see which side is outweighed by good reasons,
i expect A POST for every THREAD VIEW, if you can't give good reasons than, you shouldn't be a member here!

Good move. Can help the defence immediately. Not only that he helps the rest of the Dline. He'll be double teamed a lot which can open holes for Smith, TJ and Weaver.
He's good against the run - I reckon our D can be top 10 against the run this year that will force teams to ppass more.
He puts pressure on the QB which helps the secondary - there'll be a few more balls thrown up which will increase INT's.
Better Defence helps get you better field position. Shorter fields help your offence put up more points.

Williams helps the Texans be a better team, I'd have been happy with Bush as he'd have made the offence more explosive.

I have faith in Kubiak and what he wants to achieve.

Back