Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Reasonable price for Barwin? *UPDATE* Signed by Eagles

What is a reasonable price for Connor Barwin?

• Total voters

Titans Sux 72

Waterboy
We sign 2 FA players two years ago and have been in cap hell. The eagles assemble an entire dream team of top tier FAs 2 seasons ago, it didnt work out so they release half of them and are now on dream team version 2.0. WTF
And what do they have to show for it?

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
This is exactly the scenario I and a lot of people have expected for a year now. Not a big surprise. Congrats to Connor for getting paid.

And I just found this from Rotoworld:

Brooks Reed is expected to stick at outside linebacker this season.
If the Texans had retained Connor Barwin, Reed would have kicked inside next to Brian Cushing. Now that Barwin is an Eagle, Reed is needed in a pass-rushing and edge-setting role. He's posted just 8.5 sacks through his first two NFL seasons, but has been a quality defender against the run.
Edit: I just saw that John McClain was the source.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is exactly the scenario I and a lot of people have expected for a year now. Not a big surprise. Congrats to Connor for getting paid.

And I just found this from Rotoworld:

Edit: I just saw that John McClain was the source.
Damn..... if McClain says he's staying at OLB, that means he's going to be our starting FB.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Since only $8M is guaranteed, isn't that more like a 1.33m/yr player? I thought only the guaranteed number matters
Only if your assuming you won't need to pay him the rest of the contract.

They are betting on him failing, Barwin is betting on himself succeeding.

rolyat93

Waterboy
@taniaganguli: Numbers on this Eagles deal are close to what Barwin was offered pre-season by the #Texans. He didn't lose money by waiting.
Bull****. If he had been a FA that summer, someone looking to overpay like the Eagles would've offered 10+ mil.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Bull****. If he had been a FA that summer, someone looking to overpay like the Eagles would've offered 10+ mil.
That's not what she was saying. The Texans offered Barwin a similar deal last summer (when he wasn't a free agent). Could he have signed for more money this summer had he been a free agent? Possibly. Barwin could have signed for more this offseason, had he picked up 20 sacks. So what? Neither of those scenarios apply.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
the whole 'numbers similiar to texans offered preseason' sounds like pr spin to me by barwins side. im guessing he was offered more by the texans but they know the texans would never admit that

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Since only $8M is guaranteed, isn't that more like a 1.33m/yr player? I thought only the guaranteed number matters
It all depends on how long he actually plays on that contract. If $8M is guaranteed over the first 2 years & he's cut prior to the third, he made $4M/yr.

If it's $8M guaranteed over the first two years, with $8M in compensation in that third year, and he plays that third year, then he made $5.3M/yr over those three years.

If it's $8M guaranteed over the first two years & he signs an extension that third year, say $24M guaranteed over the next three years, if it were me I would think I got paid $4M/yr for the first two years & I'm looking at $8M/yr over the next three years.

One more. Let's say it's $8M guaranteed over the first two years, but only guaranteed for injury. If that includes a $6M roster bonus & the stipulation is that he has to be on the roster at the start of the 2014 season, but the Eagles cut him before then, then he only got paid $2M for 2013.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Forgot about this thread but looks like myself & nytexan where the only ones who nailed his price tag. :money:
I didn't vote, but I did talk about salaries of edge rushers, and I figured it would take about that much for a guy like Barwin (over/under $6M).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I take that back; I did vote for $4M.
Just didn't want to overpay for him, I guess, LOL!
FA is about overpaying. If he got $6M, you didn't get it right, you overpaid.

If you said $4M..... you might not be right, but you're closer than the $6M guy.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
FA is about overpaying. If he got $6M, you didn't get it right, you overpaid.

If you said $4M..... you might not be right, but you're closer than the $6M guy.
And recent history says the Eagles overpay "better" than anybody.
:D

GP

Go Texans!
I had never seen the infamous letter jackets until now.

What a colossal FAIL.

Was it Doosh Bag Barwin's idea to do that? Good heavens that's sad.

Keep that **** in your closet, and wear it only around the house for crying out loud.

Sheesh. That's laughable.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
...and Shaun Cody
I always liked Barwin's humor and him as a player. I won't miss the "Bulls on Parade" theme, but I don't understand people's "good riddance" attitude based on one down season.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
I always liked Barwin's humor and him as a player. I won't miss the "Bulls on Parade" theme, but I don't understand people's "good riddance" attitude based on one down season.
If you look at the 2011 season 4 of his 11 sacks came in one game against the Jags and Gabbert....I think he will be exposed badly in Philly

deucetx

Rookie
LOL very classy for Connor. The Glabbert reference is a trip as well as Shaun Cody in the smallest print. No reason to dislike the guy. Didn't cause issues and played hard. Just not to the level we hoped consistently. He may end up missing the Glabbert's of the world since now he'll have to chase RG3, deal with Eli and whoever the Eagles toss out there to run that up-tempo offense.

I wish him luck except when it goes against my wishes of course, heh. Funny dude and he gave what he could.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21965480/connor-barwin-thanks-texans-fans-and-many-others-in-newspaper-ad
Taking out a newspaper ad to thank fans has become a hot trend for departing free agents this offseason. Ed Reed did it when he left Baltimore. Greg Jennings did it when he left Green Bay and now former Texans linebacker Connor Barwin is doing it in Houston.

Only Barwin, who signed with the Eagles in mid-March, has added a slightly different twist: he didn't just thank Texans' fans, he also seemingly thanked everyone he crossed paths with during his four years in Houston.

In the ad, which ran in the Houston Post, Barwin thanked his cleaning lady, his pizza delivery guy, his limo guy, Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert, his popcorn guy, several Texans' beat writers, a car dealership, Shaun Cody, the mayor of Houston and bread. Yes, bread. Although its unclear if he's thanking a type of bread -- white, wheat, rye -- a person named Bread or the Los Angeles-based rock band Bread.

Barwin also thanked a local movie theater for giving him four years of free movies -- and cheesecake. Not the Cheesecake Factory, just cheesecake.

The newspaper ad bar has now been set for all future departing free agents.
Class act all the way by Connor. Just one question though, I thought the Chronicle was the only paper in Houston ?

deucetx

Rookie
I would've expected him to run it through the Houston Press of all the papers.
Heh, what he said. Chronicle is the only MAJOR paper. Houston Press is a small press that has some rather off the wall things inside at times that match C.B.'s personality perfectly. You're not going to find the latest world news in the Press in other words but you will find things that will make you blink. Well, if you aren't use to some of the ads and such in there lol.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
"And Shaun Cody" was the smallest print on the whole page.
Those 2 were a pair, and you'd think would remain good friends in the future even though they are no longer on the same team.

htowntexans1985

1st Round Pick
Barwin is a good dude. He just wasn't what this team needed. And I doubt he replicates his 11 sack season. But I will be rooting for him, and even harder when he plays the cowgals.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
The small print for Cody was a joke, which is way funnier now that someone has to explain it. :)

And did someone resurrect the Houston Post, or was that a typo?

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The small print for Cody was a joke, which is way funnier now that someone has to explain it. :)

And did someone resurrect the Houston Post, or was that a typo?
No he said Houston PRESS. It is the paper of choice for the kinda avant garde', left-ish (not leftIST), young, Urbanite types. The correct term is "Alternative Newpaper". I used to pick it up like clockwork when I was out & about on a regular basis to check out what was happening for the weekend. They used to have (and maybe still do, I'm OLD now and no longer part of that demographic) good restaurant and movie reviews and the latest info on local hotspots, clubs, local bands, and concerts. And as someone above mentioned, you have to be open minded when you get to some of the ads. They even tried to have some lowdown on the local politico scene. But don't go there looking for sports info; they don't really do that.

Yeah, I can totally see Barwin hanging with the Houston Press types.

Edit:
Are you familiar with Austin360.com or Austin Chronicle? It's like that.

No he said Houston PRESS. It is the paper of choice for the kinda avant garde', left-ish (not leftIST), young, Urbanite types. The correct term is "Alternative Newpaper". I used to pick it up like clockwork when I was out & about on a regular basis to check out what was happening for the weekend. They used to have (and maybe still do, I'm OLD now and no longer part of that demographic) good restaurant and movie reviews and the latest info on local hotspots, clubs, local bands, and concerts. And as someone above mentioned, you have to be open minded when you get to some of the ads. They even tried to have some lowdown on the local politico scene. But don't go there looking for sports info; they don't really do that.

Edit:

They still have all of that.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
A couple friends of mine met him outside the Elton John concert tonight. Said he was a real cool guy and had nothing but good things to say about Houston and the Texans.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
A couple friends of mine met him outside the Elton John concert tonight. Said he was a real cool guy and had nothing but good things to say about Houston and the Texans.
He seemed like he really enjoyed Houston and everything it had to offer. Bars, clubs, museums, restaurants, etc. He would have been a good ambassador for the city except he wasn't any good on the field this season.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps

Edit:
I think that's the same paper I used to pick up at the record stores (when those existed) when I lived in Houston. I'd always check it for live music shows downtown.