Reality check

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Nov 2, 2010.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Before everyone says it, let me be the first to say that I've mentioned before that our team hasn't had any moral victories. Our wins have been wins and our losses have been losses.

The reality of everything is that we've already done our job vs. The Colts. All they did was hold court. This loss does mean alot but I don't think it throws us off track. We are still 4-3, and one game out of 1st place.

How many of you at the beginning of the season said that you would be okay with splitting with The Colts? Mission has already been accomplished with The Colts yall. A win yesterday would've just been a big plus and would've made our chances of having a winning November alot easier.

Like I said, there have been no moral victories this season, and this loss is not one of them but I will also say that at the very least it looked as if we were still in the game until the routine Dwight Freeney strip of the ball occured. Looked alot better than our previous two losses.

The next 4 games will tell us what we really got though....

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

At this point I feel that the reality check is when other talented teams need a win, they come on to the field and take what they want. The Chargers will come in hungry to Houston and feast on our maladjusted game plan.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yes, yes they will.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

we still have 4 division games left. we're due for a sweep of the jags, and if we can split with the titans that puts us at 7-4. if we beat the teams that we should (eagles, chargers, broncos), we'd finish with 10+ wins and a playoff berth.

i'm either way too patient or optomistic, but unless kubiak brainfarts another game away, we're not only still in the hunt - i'd say we stand a decent chance at taking the division.

5. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

One of the most frustrating losses I've ever witnessed. I cannot for the life of my understand why this team seems so dedicated to laying a dud whenever they have the spotlight on them. The fact that we have more primetime games coming makes me real uneasy...

But I'm staying optimistic as I possibly can. The Texans are just one game out of first place. And as of right now, we're still just 1-1 in the division with a chance to sweep the Titans and Jaguars. If we do go 5-1 in the division, and Houston and Indy finish the season with the same overall record atop the AFC South, the Texans win the division.

The pass defense played about as well as it could against Manning. Sure, they can't seem to stop anyone, but they at least played above their expectations last night, so there is a chance that the unit may be improving. Thankfully will only see a few more tough passing offenses (SD, Denver, and potentially Philly). If they play the rest of the year as well as they played last night, then I don't see how anyone could complain about that.

The coaching decisions are another story... :kubepalm:

Make no mistake, however, the Chargers game just became a playoff game for this team. If they lose, then I'll feel more gloomy about the playoffs. But until that happens (if it does), just gotta suck up this Colts loss and get ready for Sunday.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The game was winnable, & I think that's what the "big deal" is all about.

Nothing wrong with that. The game was winnable. For the 7th game in a row, we've seen our passing game stumble. That's getting old to me.

Defensively, I think we're getting better. I liked what I saw out of Anderson....... Anderson, Smith, Okoye, Mario looks good & the rotation looked better than it has since Barwin went down. Cushing looked OK in the middle, I think he'll get better. Wilson was active...... still a clutz, but more active & more on time than he's been all year.

I agree, a loss here really doesn't tell us as much as a win would have (the mental thing) the next 4 weeks will tell us where we're really at.

7. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

I think that game sealed the end of the Kubiak era.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Really?

So if we win out the rest of the season & win the Super Bowl..... you'd like to see Kubiak gone?

A big what if, I know that. But what if something clicked with him last night, something clicked with the team, & they start to play (coach) the way they should. We get a defense that is improved on that 13 game stretch of last year, we get an offense that puts last years to shame?

If last night was the turning point, & we win it all...... you don't think Kubiak should be here next year?

9. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

A lot of IFS in that there post ! :tiphat:

Double Barrel likes this.
  10. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

and I could win the lottery too.. seriously...

11. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

Does this mean that rendevous with Dominique Sachse in an evelvator that I have been dreaming of for years has a chance too??

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not saying anything like that at all. MightyTExan said last night's game sealed Kubiak's fate, so I threw a what if out there.

Not that I think it is remotely possible.

But you never know what it takes to turn a team around. After getting punked so many times, you'd think this offense will start playing like we all know they can. Dwight Freeny or not. We've seen them play much better than this in the past. The only difference, is that we have a run game, & that should be helping.

If we start playing on offense the way we think we should..... anything can happen.

So.... my question, is if last nights game is the last time the Texans will allow themselves to get bent over like that, would it be worth it?

13. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

I would like for Kubiak to succeed.I think we've seen enough of his body of work. I've had enough of "another one of those games". You can tell how its going to go from the first offensive play. I would love to eat crow, but I don't think it's happening.

14. jshabang

jshabang Quality Backup!

thunder u gotta love a fan like you....glass half full of beer at all times.....I like your optimisim....but like I told u before....this team is what it is my dude......we are past the halfway mark of the season........what u see is what u get at this point

UNTIL KUBES AND THESE GUYS SHOW US DIFFERENT...WHICH THEY HAVENT

and thats all we have to go on........I saw the same thing coming off a bye that i saw before the bye....an unprepared team not ready to play ball for a full 60 mins........the cardiac kid, come from behind, offense show up at halftime stuff will not work against good veteren teams....as we saw last night

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

that happens & you'll hear a collective gush of wind blowing thru Houston not felt since IKE

16. Proudtexan25

Proudtexan25 Rookie

Exactly, were one game out of first place, and everyone wants to give up on the season and fire Kubiak, we have to have some of the worst fans in any sports, its embarrasing

17. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

To hell with the 4-3 record. There are SEVEN Texans-stompers in a
    ROW coming here. The same question I have now, is the same one
    I had last year when this team went 9-7. "Who dey beat?"

This 2010 schedule is LOADED with REAL playoff teams. Mark my words.
    Do NOT expect the Texans to fare better than 2-5 over the next seven
    games. I'm predicting them to luck up on MAYBE 1 game against
    the Jags or Titans, and get beat by the Ravens, Jets, and Chargers.

Rex Ryan's dimeanor is one that makes Kubiak crap his pants.

.....and it shows on gameday.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

"One game out of first place"....hmmmm...obviously, we're talking about first place in our division, because that's the only ticket to the playoffs for us. Wildcards will be for those secondary teams in the AFC north and east.

So, we are one game out of first place (in our division). Indy now holds the cards to their, and subsequently our, fates. They win out, it doesn't matter what the Texans do.

I look at the rest of our schedule, and I honestly see 3-4 games that we should win. So, for any chance at all to the Big Dance, they are going to have to win a game or two against teams that they will be clear underdogs. And after last night, I'm just not believing that this team has that kind of drive to do such a thing.

Coaches, players? Both in a symbiosis of suck?

19. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Same
    Old
    Friggin'
    Texans.

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  20. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

No last night's game was embarrasing.

Two week to prepare for a beat up, one hand tied behind it's back Colts team and we look like a bunch of high schoolers. That is what is embarrasing.

Seems to me we did the same thing last year.